Author Topic: Howard 350 Rotavator  (Read 7821 times)

Howard 350 Rotavator
« on: 23 March, 2011, 10:19:54 pm »
Hi, been helping a neighbor getting his (2nd hand) Howard 350 rotovator going. The engine is now working after un seizing the carb, points, fuel bowl leak, oil change etc. But the transmission belt is missing along with the clutch mec. The drive chain and gearbox sound noisy, along with the rotors when turning by hand, (think a major oil leak has occurred at some point as the amount of gunge on the thing once removed reveled it's original paint),

My questions is, at what point do you throw in the towel, as stripping the chain case/ drive set up looks like another days job and can you still get the parts, I see ebay do the odd bit or two.
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Re: Howard 350 Rotovator
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2011, 10:57:16 pm »
My son has a Howard 350 that he has started to renovate for me.

Parts are expensive. Apparently the clutch is prone to failure if not looked after. They cost a couple of thousand new (or so I've been told) when last produced. They still make good money on Ebay.

Is it a Kohler engine on yours?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Re: Howard 350 Rotavator
« Reply #2 on: 24 March, 2011, 11:50:12 pm »
My son has a Howard 350 that he has started to renovate for me.

Parts are expensive. Apparently the clutch is prone to failure if not looked after. They cost a couple of thousand new (or so I've been told) when last produced. They still make good money on Ebay.

Is it a Kohler engine on yours?

The clutch is missing, not sure if he has this, so we are stuck until he finds it in amongst his junk.

I think it's a Kohler lump, not a briggs. It is a bit smokey but may be the rings gummed up or valve steam oil seals gone, (if it has any)? Starts first pull now though.

Know of a good modern replacement, Hondas look good, but something similar is about 500!

Re: Howard 350 Rotovator
« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2011, 12:27:28 pm »
I think it's a Kohler lump, not a briggs. It is a bit smokey but may be the rings gummed up or valve steam oil seals gone, (if it has any)? Starts first pull now though.

Our resident expert at the allotments says Kohlers are always smokey when you start them up.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Re: Howard 350 Rotavator
« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2011, 10:28:27 am »
OK, thanks, just download this, it may be of interest-

Howard 350 Rotavator Workshop Repair Manual Download - Global-Data