Author Topic: CrAcKpOt  (Read 88142 times)

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
Re: CrAcKpOt
« Reply #475 on: 24 May, 2017, 06:02:32 pm »
AA and I have been chattin. That's the other feed mentioned above sorted. Its all working out swimmingly! Home made cake? I wonder if I'll get time to make an appearance.

« Reply #476 on: 24 May, 2017, 09:49:41 pm »
1. Jonah
2. swiss hat
3. Andy P
4. Mr Reynholm
5. Anthony
6. akin
7. James Wyatt (ACH)

« Reply #477 on: 24 May, 2017, 09:59:34 pm »
1. Jonah
2. swiss hat
3. Andy P
4. Mr Reynholm
5. Anthony
6. akin
7. James Wyatt (ACH)
8. veloboy

Apologies for the late reply and appearance here. Been having some issues with my lower back; hopefully now sorted :-)
We'll see how things go this weekend on the Brimmy - In any case, I'll pay my share whatever the outcome!

« Reply #478 on: 26 May, 2017, 05:48:46 am »
Sorry, folks not in.  Haven't got the fitness as last year and I have family stuff to do.

Perhaps, next year I have the hilly fitness back

Have a great uneventful ride.

Enjoy sleeping in a cardboard box in Well Martin 😉🚴🍻

Smeth

« Reply #479 on: 26 May, 2017, 09:47:10 pm »
Just before I go for my pre-Brimstone beauty sleep...

CrAcKpOt SUPPORT DETAILS

RIDERS AND POTENTIAL RIDERS PLEASE READ LINKED DOC BELOW FOR INFO.

https://wordpress.com/post/smethblog.wordpress.com/82

PM me for my contacts and let me have yours if you like. The same would be useful to Altitude Accumulator above for  the same reasons. There won't be a quick reply due to Brimmers but I will respond.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #480 on: 27 May, 2017, 10:07:36 am »
Hi Smeth,

I get an "Invalid Post Address" message even after logging on to wordpress. All will be sorted after the Brimstone I'm sure.

Thanks for your work in making this happen.

SH

Smeth

« Reply #481 on: 28 May, 2017, 06:34:05 am »
Yup. Just leaving Prissy. Will sort

« Reply #482 on: 29 May, 2017, 01:10:08 pm »
Dear All

There is a slim outside chance I could get a chance to ride this  - by lucky chance the stars are aligning in a manner i had nor foreseen. I do not know if I have enough credits on the homefront yet to cash in but are you still open to any more riders? This looks like quite a ride so would not want to miss

All the best

« Reply #483 on: 29 May, 2017, 01:29:00 pm »
Bike maintenance completed including:

New tyres
New full set of brake pads
New chain and cassette
New rear gear cable (original found to have a few broken strands at lever end)

It's well worth checking that your bike is CrAcKpOt ready.

I now just need to make sure that the rider is CrAcKpOt ready as well.

Smeth

« Reply #484 on: 29 May, 2017, 01:54:13 pm »
Indeed. A fairly dry Brimstone just polished off a set of pads stretched a chain and took the last bit of life out of a rim. I'll redo the info sheet in a minute. Thanks SH for pointing out the dodgy link.

Smeth

« Reply #485 on: 29 May, 2017, 02:00:27 pm »
Dear All

There is a slim outside chance I could get a chance to ride this  - by lucky chance the stars are aligning in a manner i had nor foreseen. I do not know if I have enough credits on the homefront yet to cash in but are you still open to any more riders? This looks like quite a ride so would not want to miss

All the best
Absoflippinlutely yes. Very welcome. I'm basically the catering/housekeeping so let us know here either way and pm Anthony who has everything at his fingertips or me for any info you need.

Same applies to anyone else who might enjoy it.

Smeth

« Reply #486 on: 29 May, 2017, 02:35:19 pm »

Dear riders,

I tried to post this as a link to save the whole forum being bothered with it but it's failed so here is the info. Anything I've missed please say:

This support started with the intention of being "bivvy +++" but in the end it was actually easier and less hassle to do a proper job. We're out in lovely Wessex for the duration so we hope this helps you enjoy it. Still room for more so anyone out there stick your hand up.

See seperate post for cost.

The following support will be provided.

Anthony has done the schedule showing where the feeds and sleeps are and roughly when you might be there.

DROP BAGS

I will be at the Queen Mary pub in Poole at start/finish to take drop bags and return them. They will be available on Dunkery Beacon and the two sleep controls. I will exchange contacts at or before the start so if anything unexpected happens I can re-unite you with your bag.

EMERGENCY SPARES AND REPAIR

I will have my tools and spares in the car throughout the event in case of dire straits and at controls. I'll have tubes, my collection of usable part worn tyres, cables, and the like. The bike rack will be on the roof for those dire straits. Remember I could be 100k away visiting the Lions of Longleat or more likely in a coma. No problem but could be slow.

Catering wise we will provide all that you'd expect at a calendar control.

DUNKERY BEACON BREAKFAST

This is a car boot stop with Gazebo and chairs if I don't get blown away. Hot drinks, Juice, Bottle fills, bakery, bananas, other fruit, flapjack maybe porridge and honey. Enough for breakfast and to stuff your pockets full for the moors.

If there is a real gale the backup is the same but using sheltered seating down on Minehead prom.

SLEEP STOPS - BLACKDOWN AND OAKFORD FITZPAINE VILLAGE HALLS

Motley but useable collection of air beds or decent foam pads and Thermarests, Large pile of sleeping bags, quilts and blankets and pillows or cushions. (Luxury - said in a Yorkshire accent) Plenty to go round.

Hot supper. Hot and cold breakfast. Usual bakery, fruit, rice pud, variety of stuff for DIY meal if you don't like pasta etc. and for making sandwiches. Food bags available to fill pockets and saddlebags for the road.

N.B.  Supper dishes - First sleep probably meat or veggie pasta. Second meat or veggie chilli with spud or couscous.

BRIDGEWATER FEED STOP.

Feed at Jon's house - see his YACF post. So much better than the ghastly Sedgemoor services. That's probably teatime on Friday. Jon will also have his phone on and can fix a bike or help if he can.

Smeth

« Reply #487 on: 29 May, 2017, 03:12:14 pm »
COST FOR CRACKPOT SUPPORT (Sorry other forum users)

We are small numbers and hall hire totals £115 for the two sleeps. Plus 5 feeds and food for the road it's working out at £35 per head. Please bring this to the start or pm me for bank details if you want to get it our of the way. I haven't spoken to Altitude Accumulator (Jon) about his feed at Bridgewater so I'll leave that between you and him.

CONTACT DETAILS/BAG DROPS

Could you all PM me your contact details, particularly mobile no. for comms and you'll get mine back. We could do it at the Queen Mary but it's faff for you. Regarding drop bags if something unexpected happens don't worry, there's always a way to get stuff back to you.

TIME WINDOWS

We can't keep the halls open for the full calendar 1000k window but they will definitely be open well beyond what would normal control closing time but not open early enough for super-quicks.

In brief I'll be at Dunkery/Minehead well before the planned arrival time on Anthony's proposed schedule of 0400. That's based on 162k in 8 hours.

We have the two Village Halls from about 1800 through till 0900 in the mornings. Average arrivals will be around midnight I expect but even if very late there will be time for a kip.

« Reply #488 on: 29 May, 2017, 05:23:57 pm »
Thanks Smeth!!

Here's my proposed schedule, based on a near-full-value ride with a bit of buffer. I'll be pleased if I achieve it:

I've added our actual controls, and included most of the old calendar controls / possible alternatives for reference

« Reply #489 on: 29 May, 2017, 05:25:24 pm »
P.S Copse House Cider is still TBC — any news, Justin?

Smeth

« Reply #490 on: 29 May, 2017, 05:29:55 pm »
Hi Anthony, my email to you crossed with your post above on internet. Check it out. If you're looking at this now and its convenient give me a call by mob. We can bottom a couple of things with a quick call.

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #491 on: 29 May, 2017, 10:40:45 pm »
hi,
that looks amazing!

if I make it round in time this support will definitely be the thing that made it possible  :thumbsup:

The timetable looks really helpful thanks!

a few thoughts based on the couple of 1,000's I've done
- I think the first stage will be quicker, the last stages slower (and slower)
– leaving controls an hour after closing is ok on 1200km+ rides because of the time allowance, on a 1,000 after 500km it's too hard for a slower rider to chase back the time... I think 30 mins tops after closing
– have you sent it to Shawn? his feedback would be interesting

see you Thursday!

Smeth

« Reply #492 on: 29 May, 2017, 11:18:11 pm »
On this one the Minehead to Bovey stage is the one to brace yourself for. Mega. The next stage has more climbing per KM on paper but it's easier (relatively!)
The only thing I'd add to Andy's comments is that you will make up a lot of time from Membury Services at about 880k. Jonah told me that and it's bang on. I'm not recommending it but if you set off into the last day a couple of hours behind time you will make it unless you or the bike break.
There's a group email in a mo.

Veloboy, can you pm me your email address please?

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #493 on: 30 May, 2017, 12:20:07 pm »
On this one the Minehead to Bovey stage is the one to brace yourself for. Mega. The next stage has more climbing per KM on paper but it's easier (relatively!)
The only thing I'd add to Andy's comments is that you will make up a lot of time from Membury Services at about 880k. Jonah told me that and it's bang on. I'm not recommending it but if you set off into the last day a couple of hours behind time you will make it unless you or the bike break.
That's really helpful to know, thanks. will remain positive even if I'm technically out of time until much closer to the end than I'd planned!

I'm totally up for this now, and am going to give it my best shot. I'm going to take it easy over to Minehead even if that means being off the back from the start, because I don't want to hit Exmoor with my legs already complaining too much... but by plodding on, and minimising time stopped will hopefully squeeze inside the time limit.

thanks again,
andrew.
PS entry now submitted  :thumbsup:

Smeth

« Reply #494 on: 31 May, 2017, 11:53:50 pm »
Eight intrepids will soon be heading for the Queen Mary pub in Poole for a Thursday 8pm departure into history. That's good, I've got just enough teaspoons! ;D

More welcome at late notice. You'll just have to share.

Smeth

« Reply #495 on: 01 June, 2017, 12:42:21 am »
It's now 9. Just whittling another spoon.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #496 on: 01 June, 2017, 09:36:15 am »
good luck chaps!
appearing in a tea room near you

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #497 on: 01 June, 2017, 09:39:56 am »
hi,
legs have stopped hurting after the Brimstone, which is a relief  :thumbsup: and slept for 10 hours last night (!) so all set to go.

my tracker will be on, and is here: bit.ly/27Z5BcZ.

Queen Mary for tea, and then off. Great to hear that there's going to be 9 of us on the road.

« Reply #498 on: 01 June, 2017, 10:30:43 am »
T - 9 & half hours .... the suspense is getting to me & I'm not even riding ...

Bon route one and all !!

« Reply #499 on: 01 June, 2017, 10:48:35 am »

Best of luck to the Nine Riders!