Author Topic: Liggett and Sherwinisms TdF 2011  (Read 22830 times)

lord hereford

• Chapeau!
Liggett and Sherwinisms TdF 2011
« on: 02 July, 2011, 03:30:09 pm »
Oh bless them, you've got to love the pair of them.
It's the first day and we've already had the history of about 11 Chateaux and I've heard 'Hushovd, the God of Thunder' at least twice in the last hour.

I give you, Sherwin -  "He's got himself in his own psychological balloon"....

I can't wait for the forthcoming pearls over the next 3 weeks!

Lord H
"Mister Zoot Horn Rollo, hit that long lunar note,
and let it float. " - Don Van Vliet, R.I.P.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Liggett and Sherwinisms TdF 2011
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2011, 03:35:59 pm »
Yebbut. they aren't half as irritating as Boardman's self-aggrandising comments either side of the ad breaks.  :sick:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2011, 03:40:21 pm »
Bring back Duffield, I say!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2011, 06:35:32 pm »
I liked Liggett's exclamation when Roy made his bid for glory at the intermediate sprint:

"The King has taken off!"

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2011, 06:45:29 pm »
Is there an ITV TdF Commentary drinking game?

If there isn't, there should be, though you need two sets of rules with an easier set for the full-stage live coverage, otherwise you'd be blotto by the intermediate sprint... ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #5 on: 02 July, 2011, 09:30:57 pm »
Phiggett and Shirley didn't mention Pharmstrong once, not even tangentially. A record.
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #6 on: 02 July, 2011, 09:33:40 pm »
Is there an ITV TdF Commentary drinking game?

If there isn't, there should be, though you need two sets of rules with an easier set for the full-stage live coverage, otherwise you'd be blotto by the intermediate sprint... ;D

Must be hell for viewers of Versus  :o  :P
Working my way up to inferior.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2011, 08:31:58 am »
Our newly won allegiance to Eurosport continues.  I won't be missing the Phil and Paul show.
Aero but not dynamic

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #8 on: 03 July, 2011, 06:20:39 pm »
Our newly won allegiance to Eurosport continues.  I won't be missing the Phil and Paul show.

Can't beat Harmon & Kelly, I did love duffers though, he was great  :thumbsup:

SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2011, 09:40:33 am »
It's a shame Liggett & Sherwen are so awful but I have to say I find the ITV coverage worth watching for Ned Boulting alone.

Sean Kelly is a superb commentator but the combination of his low voice, heavy accent and the poor sound mix on Eurosport (the background noises are quite intrusive) mean it's sometimes hard to follow what he's saying if you're not concentrating fully.

I like the American woman they sometimes have on Eurosport too. Can't remember her name.

d.

« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2011, 09:54:08 am »
Yebbut. they aren't half as irritating as Boardman's self-aggrandising comments either side of the ad breaks.  :sick:

Jee-zus.

I've often wondered why they have second and third place on the podium

Some people have normal eyelids Chris, they can see the lower places on the podium. There's tarmac underneath and sky above too.

citoyen

« Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2011, 10:06:21 am »
I loved the one that goes on about the importance of sufferring.... and then goes on to suggest you buy a bike from Halfords! :)

Chris Boardman was interviewed on the Bike Show last week and when asked why he sold his bikes through Halfords, gave the reason as the importance of good customer service. I had to listen to it twice to make sure I hadn't misheard.

d.

« Reply #12 on: 04 July, 2011, 10:27:36 am »
Is that the same Halfords who won't employ qualified mechanics or send their current ones for external training because it's cheaper to pay out for accident claims than train all their staff?

fuzzy

« Reply #13 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:09:02 am »
Did the Schleks and Spartacus transfer over the last fe weeks?

I'm sure I heard Phil talking about a new team- Leo Pard Trek :-\

;)

« Reply #14 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:13:40 am »
Did the Schleks and Spartacus transfer over the last fe weeks?

I'm sure I heard Phil talking about a new team- Leo Pard Trek :-\

;)

They adopt the French pronunciation, it being the Tour de France. It can be very handy, last year they went to Rheims, which is actually pronounced 'Rance'.
Their repeated use of that made listening to Fench traffic reports in English almost intelligible.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:16:41 am »
They were saying it en francais on the TourDeCalifornia! So unless it's a french team, there's no excuse.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #16 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:23:19 am »
They were saying it en francais on the TourDeCalifornia! So unless it's a french team, there's no excuse.

Although if it was a Luxembourgish team, that might also be an excuse.
BBC - Languages

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:30:25 am »
ok then, clever-clogs, a team with a significant french-speaking makeup or title sponsor  ;P

What surprises me more is that they passed up the opportunity to dress Cancellara and co as leopards.

Anyway, I am more educated from reading this:
Team LeOpArD-TrEk Guidelines Forces Stupid Naming Uses - Bike Hugger
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:40:40 am »
What a bunch of wanky twats!  If they were any further up themselves, they would see daylight.
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #19 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:43:09 am »
I like the ITV4 show.  Liggett, Sherwin, Boardman and all.

It's a sport where extremely little happens for hours on end so it must be a nightmare to commentate on.
They have no control of the footage either which requires constant ad-libbing as the camera suddenly changes to some East European domestique rider.

I like the aerial shots of castles and villages (because the alternative is usually watching the peloton pedalling).

As for Boardman..he held the World 1 hour record and is therefore a legend.  
If it was Piers Morgan making comments about cycling strategy/technique then I'd have a problem.

Eagerly awaiting more stages.

« Reply #20 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:46:38 am »
What a bunch of wanky twats!  If they were any further up themselves, they would see daylight.

They probably have a problem with Apple concerning the Leopard name. Maybe they chose it to try to appeal to the Apple fans.

citoyen

« Reply #21 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:51:27 am »
They adopt the French pronunciation...

Well, they attempt to adopt something vaguely resembling a French pronunciation, but with varying degrees of success.

It's rare for Sherwen or Liggett to pronounce a word the same way twice.

d.

border-rider

« Reply #22 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:54:26 am »
I like the ITV4 show.  Liggett, Sherwin, Boardman and all.

It's a sport where extremely little happens for hours on end so it must be a nightmare to commentate on.
They have no control of the footage either which requires constant ad-libbing as the camera suddenly changes to some East European domestique rider.

I like the aerial shots of castles and villages (because the alternative is usually watching the peloton pedalling).

As for Boardman..he held the World 1 hour record and it therefore a legend.  
If it was Piers Morgan making comments about cycling strategy/technique then I'd have a problem.

Eagerly awaiting more stages.

+1

It's a spect-a-cule and I just love it, silliness & all :)

citoyen

« Reply #23 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:56:46 am »
What a bunch of wanky twats!  If they were any further up themselves, they would see daylight.

All standard corporate gubbins. They're no worse in this respect than lots of other names I could mention. Companies are very protective of their brands. Usually to little or no effect.

As a sub editor, the bit that riles me most is the insistence that the name is set in caps. They can fuck off. My style guide overrules their affectations.

d.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 04 July, 2011, 12:04:04 pm »
Precisely.  There's having a House Style, and then there's being silly.
Getting there...