Author Topic: ACME Betweenmas Group Permanent 2023 (All Welcome!)  (Read 5099 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Betweenmas Group Permanent 2023 (All Welcome!)
« Reply #25 on: 13 December, 2023, 09:35:19 am »
I will send you the route sheets if you pm me your email address.

« Reply #26 on: 13 December, 2023, 11:59:34 am »
Would like to come if I can get away?  Is it the 27th or 28th?

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #27 on: 13 December, 2023, 02:19:47 pm »
Hopefully this will get a response . . . having read the ACME Tourdax article in Arrivee I'd be interested to ride it as a 3 day solo or small group ride next spring or summer - are there any route details available please?  - map, route sheet, .gpx or whatever.
Next year's tourdax is in the Calendar around 12th April.  Same idea - 3 linked rides with different end-to-start making a loop, and rail accessible; different route though.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: 13 December, 2023, 05:19:58 pm »
Would like to come if I can get away?  Is it the 27th or 28th?

I'm watching the forecast as mentioned upthread.  Either would suit me, with perhaps 27th the first option but we'll pick the best day, once we reckon the forecast is trustworthy.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #29 on: 13 December, 2023, 05:49:17 pm »
I will send you the route sheets if you pm me your email address.

Done - and received - thanks!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: 15 December, 2023, 08:36:08 pm »
This morning I had a tootle round Boudicca's Revenge 100km (reversed), with a few bonus kms checking out some interesting alternative routes. 119km in total for me. (107km on the brevet, usually more like 110 depending on how closely you stick to the routesheet.)

The Mohak Café in Haslingfield haven't finalised their holiday opening times yet and I was told they may possibly shut between Christmas and New Year. An alternative venue might be Day's farm shop and café at Newton, a handfull of kms before you get to Haslingfield (which was at pretty much 50km for me). They are open normal hours from 27th Dec. There are many, many alternative routes along/parallel with the Cam valley, depending on how you feel about hills/grotty lanes/the old A11.

In Buntingford, the Coffee Shop will be open after Christmas, but with slightly reduced opening hours. It's likely we'll be there early afternoon. There's also a branch of Days here, but I can't see a pub that serves food, so I reckon Haslingfield/Newton will be the main brunch/lunch stop at just under half-way, with a tea and cake stop in Buntingford.

The very leaky lanes from Buntingford to Manuden were as waterlogged as ever - lots of minor floods, gravel, mud and potholes to keep you alert! I'm reckoning on a 7 hour ride, (8h33 allowed, at 12.5kph!) with two leisurely feed stops, so we should be round in daylight.

« Reply #31 on: 15 December, 2023, 10:07:01 pm »
Just outside Fowlmere there is Amigos cafe on the right on the road to Shepreth.  In Shepreth you have the large cafe in Dobbies (there last Sat); if you take left past the RSPB place it adds about 1km.

There’s the Three Tuns at Great Hormead does hot food.  Again likely adds about a km assuming you’re routing via Hare Street, Furneax Pelham etc.  I’ll be there next Thu if you want me to check their opening times after Christmas.

Is your plan Boudiccas Revenge 100, going anti clockwise, on Wed 27th or Thu 28th? Plus what time are you thinking of starting?  A Buntingford start might work for me, join the group in Dunmow, ride round back to Buntingford to finish perm. Then head back home.

« Reply #32 on: 16 December, 2023, 08:47:02 pm »
Just outside Fowlmere there is Amigos cafe on the right on the road to Shepreth.  In Shepreth you have the large cafe in Dobbies (there last Sat); if you take left past the RSPB place it adds about 1km.

Amigos are a bit flexible about opening times; Dobbies are a bit more reliable. Just up the road is Hot Numbers - very reliable, long opening hours, I would guess bound to be open. I'm told the coffee is excellent(I'm a tea drinker myself), but a bit pricey.

I will see how the family calendar goes, and hope to come and meet you!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: 17 December, 2023, 04:09:31 pm »
I favour the 27th, simply because it would make sense to move on to the Compasses for the new tradition of last Wednesday of the month at the Spiritual Home. Still weather dependant - if Thursday is better I'd like to ride then.

Riding Boudicca 100km reversed, but with the proviso that there may be merit in staying on B roads as far as Whittlesford if sub-zero. After that then via Shepreth to Fowlmere (better crossing of the A10, though a tad further), then via Barkway to Buntingford. The usual route from there to Manuden via Furneux Pelham, then either round the airport perimeter route to Bambers Green, (easier in the dark and much less skoggy) or Pledgedon Green, Brick End, Little Easton to Dunmow.

Looks like there are lots of other lunch option on/near the route at the northern end. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll bear all this in mind!

felstedrider

« Reply #34 on: 17 December, 2023, 06:41:11 pm »
I can’t ride on the 27th but I should be in the pub in the evening.

If the ride experiences any slippage I’m available 28th/29th.   I’ll probably do some perms in an attempt to get myself back on track.

« Reply #35 on: 18 December, 2023, 09:32:06 am »
Looks like there are lots of other lunch option on/near the route at the northern end. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll bear all this in mind!

I can recommend The Stove in Bourn west of Cambridge - a wide range of top hot and cold food, excellent coffee, and they have their own bakery. Plenty of indoor and outdoor seating. 

« Reply #36 on: 21 December, 2023, 05:14:21 pm »
Strike the Three Tuns, Great Hormead. plus Beehive, Hare Street.  Neither doing food today and not likely next week.

« Reply #37 on: 22 December, 2023, 10:50:31 am »
27th is looking rather suboptimal at the moment, except for those with webbed feet.

But then we're in a changeable weather pattern currently, so who knows what it'll be like as the forecast is bound to change over the coming days.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #38 on: 22 December, 2023, 12:09:48 pm »
I've plotted a reversed route by reading the route sheet backwards.  I've added a Newton variation, which means Chapel hill just from Haslingfield side.  This also means you route past the village shop if the cafe isn't open.  I haven't routed past Dobbies, Shepreth but can do if that becomes the cafe stop.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/241887078

This variation starts / finishes Buntingford, as that's where I'll be joining leaving the perm.   Plan is a 6:30am start (from home) to meet you at Paradise cafe for 9am.

« Reply #39 on: 22 December, 2023, 12:28:08 pm »
For others who need the route, it's in RwGPS at https://acme.bike/events/boudiccas-revenge-p100/

Will need to reverse it, but that's just a button press. Also need to reflect any route changes know in advance re the stops.

« Reply #40 on: 22 December, 2023, 12:35:02 pm »
Ha, that explains why I couldn't find it on tomsk.co.uk.  To be honest unless the group gets separated, I'll likely have the routing turned off anyway. It's all pretty much familiar territory.

« Reply #41 on: 22 December, 2023, 12:58:02 pm »
Just noticed the countdown timer on ACME site for 7pm tomorrow. What is happening then in Essexland?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #42 on: 22 December, 2023, 09:10:09 pm »
is 27th a definite?  I'm good for that, returning home on 26th, would just like a deffo Y/N

Assume from Tomsk Towers, 10am start?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #43 on: 23 December, 2023, 04:17:46 am »
is 27th a definite?  I'm good for that, returning home on 26th, would just like a deffo Y/N

It’s not a definite. It’s weather dependent. Tomsk will no doubt advise in due course, but currently 28th is looking more favourable weather wise.

The usual plan is to meet in Paradise Cafe.

« Reply #44 on: 23 December, 2023, 05:29:02 pm »
I'd like to do this but will depend on weather and a couple of other things I have in the diary.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #45 on: 23 December, 2023, 08:54:09 pm »

It’s not a definite. It’s weather dependent. Tomsk will no doubt advise in due course, but currently 28th is looking more favourable weather wise.

The usual plan is to meet in Paradise Cafe.

I'm OK either day.

Is that cafe also in Dunmow? - My forum name says it all, I'm not local
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #46 on: 24 December, 2023, 09:28:50 am »
Yes, it’s right by the War Memorial in the High Street.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: 24 December, 2023, 09:59:59 am »
Currently Thursday 28th is looking more promising. Still a tad breezy though!

felstedrider

« Reply #48 on: 24 December, 2023, 07:08:08 pm »
I now have something we have to do on the afternoon of the 28th.  I’ll head out on my own first thing.

So, if the perm is now Thursday is the pub night moving or is the pub night still Wednesday ?

« Reply #49 on: 25 December, 2023, 10:32:39 pm »
I’m planning Thu now as Wed looks a wash out