Author Topic: The ACME East Anglian Tourdax: 12/13/14 April 2024  (Read 1680 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
The ACME East Anglian Tourdax: 12/13/14 April 2024
« on: 21 January, 2024, 06:28:59 pm »
Routesheets are up on audax.uk along with info about the route, controls and accomodation.

Here's a slightly edited version of the information document:

THE ACME TOURDAX: 3 x 100km Brevet Populaires   

Friday 12 – Sunday 14 April 2024

Please note: the information and routes are still a ‘work in progress’.

Tourist and Route Information (May include some light off-road riding!)

Café/pub starts at 09:00, with postal finish – or you may find me in one of the pubs at the arrivée controls, noted below! The route is advisory: provided you visit all controls in the right order you can meander off-route and find alternatives. Any receipt with the relevant place name is valid as ‘proof-of-passage’.
Ride as a two- or three-day tour, or stand-alone events, returning in each case is possible by train via Ipswich.

Tourdax #1 Friday 12th April 2024

Starting from the Battesford Court, Newland St, Witham CM8 1AH (opens 08:00)

Controls, distances & closing times (facilities locations on routesheet):
Earls Colne  10:54  19km (Co-op, café)
Clare  13:24  44km (Co-op, cafés, pubs)
Barrow  15:30  65km (Village shop, fish & chip shop, pub)
Ely  19:12  102km (Wide range of options in city centre. Suggested evening venue tbc: The Cutter pub, close to the River Ouse and marina).

Lots of charming villages on the route, from thatched cottages to the International Modern style inter-war houses of Silver End. The route goes from the Essex claylands, over the chalk hills via Barrow, then down to the Fens at Mildenhall. It follows the River Lark (with a gravel road section) to the pumping station and museum at Prickwillow, before the railway village of Queen Adelaide and the city of Ely. There are plenty of overnight options from city centre B&Bs, large coaching inns to a Travelodge on the outskirts, as well as several nearby campsites - Mad Hatters near Queen Adelaide (about 5km from Ely centre) has good reviews. £18.50 for a tent + two adults.
https://www.madhatterscampsite.co.uk/

Tourdax #2 Saturday 13th April 2024
Starting from Costa Coffee, Market Street, Ely CB7 4PB (opens 07:30)

Controls and details as above:
Red Lodge  11:18  23km  (Café, shop)
Thurston  14:12  52km  (Café, pub, fish & chips, Co-op)
Woodbridge  19:30  105km (Lots of options - recommended evening rendezvous: The Boathouse Kitchen & Bar, right by the River Deben and moorings).

The route retraces out of Ely, back across the Fens to the first control at Red Lodge, then through a section of the sandy, heathy Breckland to the village of Thurston for a lunch stop. The final leg is punctuated by two information controls, also passing through the town of Stowmarket in the Gipping valley near Ipswich. Woodbridge has a wide range of fairly up-market eateries and a fascinating waterfront on the River Deben, including a replica of the Sutton Hoo ship under construction.
There are plenty of pricey hotels in or near Woodbridge, but on the southern outskirts of Ipswich there are Holiday- and Premier Inns. There’s also a bikers and hikers hostel in nearby Kesgrave. Campsites abound, but the nearest is just a handful of kilometres away at Sutton Hoo Holidays Camping – no website or phone#, booking via the Camping and Caravanning club or pitchup.com
I’ve stayed several times at Wantisden near Butley a bit further away - https://www.wantisden.co.uk/wantisdenpark/venues/suffolk-coast-Caravans-Camping-site
Both are around £20-25 for 2 + tent.
There’s plenty of forest and heath around this area for a spot of wild camping …

Tourdax #3 14th April 2024

Starting from The Bull Inn, Market Hill, Woodbridge IP12 4LR (opens 08:00 – advised to book for breakfast: 01394 382089) (It being Sunday, not much is open before 09:00 for breakfast!)

Controls:
Dedham  14:36  56km  (café, pubs, Co-op)
Witham  19:12  102km  (Battesford Court Wetherspoons, or any valid receipt)

The route heads across the ‘Suffolk Sandlings’ to the Bawdsey ferry to Felixstowe. This is ‘on-demand’ so when you arrive at the quay, wave the paddle to attract the ferryman’s attention! You’ll need to remove luggage to board from the quay. On the outskirts of Bawdsey is the small but very interesting Radar Museum, charting the early development of the technology here, through to the Cold War. If this and the later ferry to Harwich are cancelled due to high winds (above 20 knots) there is an alternative route via Ipswich to the second control at Dedham, for a handful of ‘bonus’ kilometres!
From the ramshackle huts of Felixstowe Ferry (café) we go to the seaside delights of Felixstowe itself (icecream time?), along the Promenade which should be cyclable. There’s a pair of interesting museums in Landguard Fort by the ferry landing. The crossing to Harwich should be pre-booked by phone or online, recommended times tba: https://www.harwichharbourferry.com/
01728 666329
Depending on the tide, the ferry may land anywhere along this section of beach – boarding up the steps can be tricky with luggage, which is best removed! There are more museums in Harwich and Dedham.
Dedham would be a good lunch venue with several pubs, a Wilkins Café and another Co-op. After here we head along the lovely Vale of Dedham to an info at Bures and another at Coggeshall (pubs at both locations, plus a Co-op at the latter). Finally, a shock to the system with the A12 cyclepath back into Witham and a well-earned drink at the arrivée, the Battesford Court pub (or any Witham venue for a postal finish).

Sometime in the next month or two I'm aiming to ride round some of the route on a little late winter/early spring tour.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: The ACME East Anglian Tourdax: 12/13/14 April 2024
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2024, 02:46:02 pm »
FYI, Bawdsey ferry best boarded with a high tide. I used it last year for the Wolf Way, quite a low tide and the concrete steps both sides are very very slippy.
Boat driver is no longer willing to help put bikes in to the ferry boat due to injuring his back with an electric bike.  :thumbsup:

Looks like this clashes with a ride up North I was planning on doing :(
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2024, 06:02:03 pm »

Plains, or Valley of the Rocks?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2024, 06:20:45 pm »

Plains, or Valley of the Rocks?

Eye test at Barny via some bluebells...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2024, 09:05:45 pm »
FYI, Bawdsey ferry best boarded with a high tide. I used it last year for the Wolf Way, quite a low tide and the concrete steps both sides are very very slippy.
Boat driver is no longer willing to help put bikes in to the ferry boat due to injuring his back with an electric bike.  :thumbsup:

High water at Bawdsey on the 14th is at 4pm.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2024, 09:39:29 pm »
We took the tandem and triplet on the Harwich foot ferry and the Bawdsey ferry a couple of years ago. The Bawdsey ferryman was nonplussed - turned out a couple of years previously he'd transported a Thorn quad (I'm told there were only two made)...

« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2024, 10:20:25 pm »
Somewhat off topic, but reminds me of what happened when we turned up for the Loch Katrine ferry a few years ago, with about 16 Scouts. We had booked in advance, but we rather pushed their capacity to the limit. The Specialized is mine.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 23 January, 2024, 07:13:02 pm »
Depending on numbers on the day, I guess we'll be crossing from Bawdsey in relays. The Boathouse Café may be open and there's the opportunity of visiting the Radar Museum too. The only time I've used the ferry (a very long time ago and going the other way) on an actual audax was maybe 150km into the 'Maldon Madness' 600km, so the field was well spread out by then.

I'll work out some possible timings for booking the Harwich Harbour ferry and add them to the ride info soon.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 24 January, 2024, 08:34:22 am »
Tourdax info updated with some suggested timings for the Felixstowe - Harwich ferry. Note this is based on the 2023 timetable as the service isn't running until Easter.

I think I'll be going for a late morning ferry (12:30) in case there are any delays with late starters. Probably have lunch in Harwich and bounce the half-way control at Dedham (which closes at 14:36).

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2024, 09:21:42 pm »
Luggage has to come off for the Harwich ferry, the staff take your bike and stash it, they have A System.

The Yard might be worth investigating Ely evening http://www.theyardely.co.uk/
If you have time before departure on Saturday then Grain Culture St Mary’s Street opens at 8am, does great pastries and coffee.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 29 January, 2024, 12:39:59 pm »
I have persuaded Soupy that he should try the Tourdax this year. As he's averse to camping in April ...  I have booked the Nyton Guesthouse in Ely and Ufford Park Hotel (golf! spa!) near Woodbridge.

MsG

« Reply #11 on: 02 February, 2024, 07:56:04 am »
Am pondering the first day as it handily takes me back home again  :D
However getting to Witham for 8am, I think will require coming down the night before, as trains mostly seem to require going in and out of London. Hmmm.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #12 on: 13 February, 2024, 07:33:07 pm »
I have booked the Ely Travelodge for Friday & Sutton Hoo campsite for the Saturday night and arranging for Loopy to drive our motorised tin box tent to meet me there.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

MsG

« Reply #13 on: 12 April, 2024, 06:14:59 pm »
Spotted on Market St, Ely this afternoon; a meandering peloton including Acme jerseys. Was this a sighting of the Tourdax in motion?

« Reply #14 on: 12 April, 2024, 09:20:54 pm »
Saw the rabble in spoons this morning as was in for breakfast. Only saw Tomsk to actually talk to. The staff seemed a bit stressed with the extra business.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #15 on: 13 April, 2024, 07:33:09 am »
Really this should be televised like the TdF with evening highlights on Look East. Drone shots of the Anglian plains and interviews in the Spoons. Enjoy day 2!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #16 on: 13 April, 2024, 01:24:02 pm »
What would the evening highlights cover?

Tent erections
The group sprint for the pub followed by beer drinking
Silly games
A meal in a single pan camp cooking competition.

« Reply #17 on: 13 April, 2024, 06:29:06 pm »
Spotted on Market St, Ely this afternoon; a meandering peloton including Acme jerseys. Was this a sighting of the Tourdax in motion?
It was ;D

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #18 on: 15 April, 2024, 07:38:07 am »
Luggage has to come off for the Harwich ferry, the staff take your bike and stash it, they have A System.
it was most impressive, they certainly did have A System
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.