Author Topic: The Great Escape - 200km from LMNH! Old St to Essex (SOLD OUT)  (Read 11937 times)

Re: The Great Escape - 200km from LMNH! Old St to Essex
« Reply #25 on: 04 April, 2016, 12:13:39 pm »
Is there any parking near by.  Trains are replacement buses for this date. ::-)  I would ride in but that would take my total up to 300 but seeing as this would be my first 200 I think it might be a bit optimistic :-\

Parking expensive. I would park at an outskirt train station and ride a couple of stations into London if that is possible.

« Reply #26 on: 04 April, 2016, 12:42:03 pm »
Is there any parking near by.  Trains are replacement buses for this date. ::-)  I would ride in but that would take my total up to 300 but seeing as this would be my first 200 I think it might be a bit optimistic :-\

Parking expensive. I would park at an outskirt train station and ride a couple of stations into London if that is possible.

It's a Sunday. On-street parking is free in that bit of Islington (though obviously still subject to red route and double yellow line restrictions).

« Reply #27 on: 04 April, 2016, 12:52:28 pm »
Ah my mistake! Also that early in the morning, traffic should be relatively flowing.

« Reply #28 on: 04 April, 2016, 06:08:44 pm »
Thank you both.  I will take a train into town at the weekend and check out possibilities, I may even try the breakfast and the coffee.
It's all about the breakfast

« Reply #29 on: 05 April, 2016, 08:03:15 am »
**SOLD OUT**
To go on the waiting list for places, email secretary@islington.cc

Why not enter our 100km event The Italian Job:
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-88/

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
Re: The Great Escape - 200km from LMNH! Old St to Essex (SOLD OUT)
« Reply #30 on: 11 May, 2016, 01:44:36 pm »
Well I am headed for this this weekend and given y near zero miles over winter due to medical issues a real challenge avoiding HC will be a real achievement..  Anyone else on three wheels?
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #31 on: 14 May, 2016, 05:24:57 am »
The forecast for Sunday looks lovely - cool start and getting hot and sunny, with virtually no wind.

Bet that changes!

LMT

« Reply #32 on: 15 May, 2016, 06:01:22 pm »
The forecast for Sunday looks lovely - cool start and getting hot and sunny, with virtually no wind.

Bet that changes!

It didn't, glorious day for a bike ride. Apart from a 500m bit of dirt track the route was superb. Some of the info controls could have been better but that is by the by. Thanks to Islington CC for the organisation.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #33 on: 15 May, 2016, 08:28:30 pm »
Dear Shannonball,

Please can you post the recipe for the chilli cheese flapjacks available  at the Gt Dunmow stop :P?
There is a recipies thread ^up there somwhere.

Thanks.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #34 on: 15 May, 2016, 08:37:49 pm »
Thanks to Shannonball and all the Islington helpers for organising a very enjoyable ride and for keeping the weather under control.

Soon after the start nadir OTP reminded me that we had ridden most of the inaugural Great Escape together and he provided excellent company today.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #35 on: 16 May, 2016, 06:24:56 am »
Big thanks especially to those who waited and waited for me: Gt Dunmow was jsut what was needed, everything brought to me while I sat on the Trike  :thumbsup:.  Ans chapeau to the 'Lady on the Brompton'.  Agreed about 'info' controls.
L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #36 on: 16 May, 2016, 01:58:49 pm »
Big thanks especially to those who waited and waited for me: Gt Dunmow was jsut what was needed, everything brought to me while I sat on the Trike  :thumbsup:.  Ans chapeau to the 'Lady on the Brompton'.  Agreed about 'info' controls.
L

Ah. You were the trike with Jenny Hung? I rode with her last year on my SMGTe. Its a massive badge of honour. Huge thanks to all who helped out / arranged / baked cranberry flapjacks / took part. Amazing day, as always.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

Ben T

« Reply #37 on: 16 May, 2016, 02:10:09 pm »
L
Personally think infos should be 'unguessable'. 7.5t bridge weights, 30mph speed limits, all unoriginal imho ;) Ross Jeal is the master of infos.

Enjoyable ride this however. Nice route, and good start/finish control and organisation at said venue.

« Reply #38 on: 16 May, 2016, 04:59:35 pm »
It didn't, glorious day for a bike ride. Apart from a 500m bit of dirt track the route was superb. Some of the info controls could have been better but that is by the by. Thanks to Islington CC for the organisation.

I really liked the dirt section - fine on 25mm slicks and added some variety. Mind you it could have been horrific on a wet day.

A lovely ride, great to get catapulted into the country at 30kph+ by The Peleton. I normally hate that bit around Epping Forest but it went by much quicker yesterday.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #39 on: 16 May, 2016, 05:30:43 pm »

I really liked the dirt section - fine on 25mm slicks and added some variety. Mind you it could have been horrific on a wet day.

A lovely ride, great to get catapulted into the country at 30kph+ by The Peleton. I normally hate that bit around Epping Forest but it went by much quicker yesterday.

Agreed, that was a hot pace out of town for me, I suffered for a while post Finchingfield but started to perk up after Moreton and improved post fig rolls at Dunmow :D  I hadn't realised there was a proper control at Dunmow so had been worrying about where to find food after 16:30 on a Sunday... none of that was a problem when I got there and found a proper control with fig rolls :D
Regards,

Joergen

LMT

« Reply #40 on: 16 May, 2016, 08:23:38 pm »

Sorry I should have been more clearer in my post, it was the sheer amount of potholes that I did not like.

Apart from this route the route was great, am already planning a repeat within the next 3-4 weeks missing out said dirt track (which is easily done). :)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #41 on: 17 May, 2016, 03:07:10 pm »
have done the route on non-stop on four bananas and 800ml of water, fantastic weather to be outdoors

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #42 on: 23 May, 2016, 04:37:36 pm »
Has anyone got this in their AUK 'My Results' yet?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #43 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:36:49 am »

I didn't do the event this year, but I remember that it took about a month for the results to be posted when I rode it last year.

No sign of it on the list at http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/events/, so I wouldn't worry yet about it not appearing on your "My Results" page.

« Reply #44 on: 01 June, 2016, 08:17:04 am »
Dear Shannonball,

Please can you post the recipe for the chilli cheese flapjacks available  at the Gt Dunmow stop :P?
There is a recipies thread ^up there somwhere.

Thanks.

Here it is:
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/24488/chilli-cheese-flapjacks.aspx

« Reply #45 on: 01 June, 2016, 08:18:46 am »
L
Personally think infos should be 'unguessable'. 7.5t bridge weights, 30mph speed limits, all unoriginal imho ;) Ross Jeal is the master of infos.

Enjoyable ride this however. Nice route, and good start/finish control and organisation at said venue.

Good point - I will keep it in mind to make a good challenge in 2017 with the info Qs

« Reply #46 on: 01 June, 2016, 08:19:45 am »

I submitted the results last week.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #47 on: 02 June, 2016, 06:13:38 pm »
 :thumbsup:  I guess it might take some time for the cogs to turn on a large entry such as this... (nervous RRtY virgin ;) )
Regards,

Joergen

LMT

« Reply #48 on: 02 June, 2016, 11:15:14 pm »
Any idea when the photos are going up?

« Reply #49 on: 12 June, 2016, 10:12:16 am »

I submitted the results last week.

Hmm. Can't see it in my results yet - does anyone else have it listed already?