Author Topic: Bomber County 200km - 18th March 2017  (Read 7107 times)

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
Bomber County 200km - 18th March 2017
« on: 08 February, 2016, 10:41:11 am »
A quick advert for "Bomber County", a new event I am putting on here in Lincolnshire on 9th April. A Lincolnshire event with a difference as I have found some hills! Lincolnshire is famous for its Lancaster Bombers and littered with old airfields, hence the name "Bomber County"

Starting in the strangely named Carlton le Moorland between Newark and Lincoln its a run out to the Lincolnshire Wolds, up Red Hill, one of the tougher climbs in the Wolds to Louth. From there is a pleasant run out to sunny Mablethorpe, then down the coast to Burgh le Marsh near Skeggy. Then a trip back to Lincoln via Splisby, Horncastle and the Water Railway cycle path from Bardney.

Controlling in Lincoln Stamp End you have trip with a short road section, then through the car free middle of Lincoln past the Stonebow, again back on the cycle path by Brayford Pool to the Skellingthorpe. Then back to CLM. (There is a narrow section of cycle path on the bit by the bypass which may cause trike a problem).

Usual hospitality with loads of cake and sandwiches at the village hall.

Please do come and see the Yellowbellies on 9th April for some Lincolnshire Sausage and Plum bread (famous for having no plums!)

Re: Bomber County 200km - 18th March 2017
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2016, 11:37:59 am »
Seriously considering this one.

9th April is a bit of a special day for me and worth celebrating with a bike ride (no, its not my Birthday either)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2016, 10:37:02 pm »
I'm in  :)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #3 on: 09 February, 2016, 07:11:29 am »
Does it go past Elsham Wolds, home of 103 Squadron "The Black Swans"?

Does it go to the southern end of the Humber bridge where on the morning of 8th August 1942, one Halifax heavy bomber ditched, killing everyone aboard.
The Ft Eng was a member of the RAF cycling team and the Speedwell CC in Edgbaston, Birmingham.

Ride this event wearing a black armband.

I'm on 'Just a chuffin' 50' with Geoff on 9th April. PLEASE repeat for 2017.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 09 February, 2016, 07:20:32 am »

The 'cycling geezer' is on the far left of the picture. The bloke holding the whistle. He doubled as the football team coach. He wasn't allowed to play footy incase his cycling legs got injured.
Jethro will know RAF Cosford, where Flt Sgt John Charles. L spent his training.

Tip you hats please for all those brave airmen who didn't come home.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #5 on: 09 February, 2016, 08:00:28 pm »
Although this event does not take in the classic RAF historic sights in the county you do go past the remains of RAF Spilsby which flew Lancs which has a memorial with an info board. You also past the remains of RAF Bardney going towards Minting.  Not too far from the start was RAF Swinderby which flew various bombers as did the RAF Windthorpe, also close to the start which now has the Newark Air Museum, complete with its own V bomber (Vulcan). If you making a weekend of it Newark Air museum it recommended

The Dambusters flew from RAF Scampton, just north of Lincoln and for a time were at RAF Woodhall and their mess was at the Petwood Hotel. Woodhall Spa has a huge memorial in the centre of the village to 617 squadron.This is one place many audax events pass through. Close by Coningsby is the other place to head if you have the time.It has the Battle of Britain Memorial flight, Spitfire, Hurricane and Lanc as well as a Dakota. Also recommended if you are making a weekend of it.

If you go into the Lincs Wolds there were various stations up there, probably the most famous was Binbrook. It has a memorial to the Aussies there and looks likely to be on the LEL route to the bridge.

Just up the road at East Kirkby is the other non flying Lanc (Just Jane) at the Lincs Aviation museum.

Sorry does not go near the Humber bridge.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #6 on: 09 February, 2016, 08:49:53 pm »

If you go into the Lincs Wolds there were various stations up there, probably the most famous was Binbrook. It has a memorial to the Aussies there and looks likely to be on the LEL route to the bridge.

The memories are flooding back. 2½ yrs living in a RAF Binbrook pre-Fab (1975-77), Lightning base then and me a fresh-ish Flying Officer. Must try and arrange a long w/e at my sister's in Nottingham
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #7 on: 11 February, 2016, 11:55:06 am »
Now entered.

Does anyone know of any accommodation near to the start?

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #8 on: 11 February, 2016, 08:02:45 pm »
There is quite a posh B &B in the village, 200m from the start, camping at Brant Broughton, Premier Inn 15 mins away in Newark. Another B&B in Aubourn. Or try Lincoln, usual chain hotels too.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #9 on: 11 February, 2016, 08:07:52 pm »
this is the nearest B&B

http://www.thegrangebnb.co.uk/

« Reply #10 on: 28 February, 2016, 09:21:37 pm »
I'm in, and having a sneak preview of the route which I rode as a Dec DIY (RRTY treadmill) its going to be a cracking day out.

You'll get chance to sample the wonderful Lincolnshire Coast! ;)

« Reply #11 on: 29 February, 2016, 10:35:11 am »
Do we know when the 'official' routesheet might be out?

« Reply #12 on: 05 March, 2016, 10:06:11 am »
I'm retired RAF and I've talked a few of my buddies into doing this event.  Between us we flew Harriers, Hawks, AWACS, King Air, Nimrod plus one who wore a red flying suit for 2 years.  Love nothing more than cycling and talking about all things aviation.  I'm sure there'll be other RAF, either retired or serving, in loose formation too!!

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2016, 07:42:06 pm »
Last orders before I close entries. Its going to be a big field for the 1st outing of this event, well I count 55 so far as a large number. I suspect there are many out of county riders entering because I have arranged some hills in Lincolnshire to climb and want to mock me after for lack of gradient with lines such as, "oh call that a hill we have bigger mole hills in somewhereelseshire etc!

However I confident those taking part will see a full range of Lincolnshire scenery and experience why we have huge wind turbines

« Reply #14 on: 29 March, 2016, 07:46:04 pm »
I'm retired RAF and I've talked a few of my buddies into doing this event.  Between us we flew Harriers, Hawks, AWACS, King Air, Nimrod plus one who wore a red flying suit for 2 years.  Love nothing more than cycling and talking about all things aviation.  I'm sure there'll be other RAF, either retired or serving, in loose formation too!!
My bold

And I assume also flew Hawk and possibly Harrier.

Was there anything other than a loose formation!

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #15 on: 08 April, 2016, 09:07:52 pm »
Looks like we have 57 starters tomorrow for the first Bomber County. All set in the village hall tonight with some food and refreshment available first thing.

Huge amounts of home made cake available for finishers as well as bacon sandwiches. The local "road closures" near the start appear to be a deception and its all clear to the bottom of Coleby Hill. May be a wet start but as with all my event riders leave on the stoke of seven from the village church clock.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #16 on: 09 April, 2016, 10:42:19 pm »
A quick short report on this new event, written in haste so excuse any typos etc

Firstly the start venue was excellent, and the start weather was, err, a bit wet...

Still we all got off and with my hooded waterproof I didn't feel wet at all...

Quite a good run early on, and there was a hill that everyone seemed worried about, but I rode up it sitting down.. I wouldn't worry no matter what your climbing skill - oh there were good views from the top, though mist intruded a bit...

All the controls were good, and easy to find...

The last quarter was in sunshine for me, and the run all the way into Lincoln on the segregated cycle oath was amazing, and Jamie B's cafe excellent and fast too...

Onwards through Lincoln had some interesting ramps and cycle path and I got to the pedestrianised just after 4PM which was the time from which bikes were allowed too.

Overall a nice event which I would recommend.

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #17 on: 10 April, 2016, 09:52:20 am »
Thank you Mikey for a great write up. I still have a large amount of home made cake at my house in Carlton le Mooorland that needs eating up so if any one in the next 24hrs wishes to ride out to eat it up please let me know

« Reply #18 on: 10 April, 2016, 08:24:15 pm »
Thanks to all involved in putting on a cracking event!

A wet start but dried out in the afternoon, the wind wasn't too bad for Lincolnshire. Good controls, especially Jamie B's who were open just for the the event, the coffee and cake were just at the correct point for that last final push to the finish.

Also a big thanks to the organiser for sorting out the "closed road start"  ;)

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #19 on: 11 April, 2016, 07:22:01 pm »
my first event of the year after a rather dour winter training / fitness wise. I was late to the start and I was the last person to depart which is not a good feeling. Me and, my Friend started steadily but soon passed the first of many puncture victims. The first check was a garage with a range of eating options however the £2:00 coffee with bacon and omlette cob from Greggs was certainly the bargain of the day. A chance meeting with SR and PBP hero Steve Poulton made my day and gave me much needed inspiration to continue. Just the far side of louth there was a tremendous bang from my rear wheel that didn't bode well, the sidewall had split badly, luckily I had packed some bits of old tyre along with the kitchen sink in my carradice and, I was soon back on my way, steve riding along with us for a while. A quick stop at mablethorpe to see the beach (and the donkeys} and we then pushed on, the wind came and went but never really gave any help. Fuelled by a hot chocolate at sibsey we climbed back over the wolds for an off schedule coffee and cake at one of my favourite audax cafes - Myers in horncastle - fabulous coffee and cake, just when it was needed. Onwards to the rather pleasant cycle path all the way to Lincoln, through Lincoln and, back on the path for what for me was the only not as good as could be bit of the ride, the ramps and poor signage meant lots of head scratching and, my target time evaporated. Back on the road again, it was andrew's turn for what seemed to be a slow puncture, a puff of air and we were going again sadly, not for long as it turned out a full tube replacement was required, back on the bikes for what seemed like the longest 6km of my life, thankfully we had joined up with another two riders for a much appreciated tow in, back at the hall a fabulous spread and, very nice atmosphere greeted us, time for some more chatting and applause of other riders we had met / shared the road with that day. All in all a surprisingly challenging route but, very enjoyable, many thanks to Richard and, his team.     

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #20 on: 13 April, 2016, 11:54:20 am »
What a fine relaxing weekend…well, at my sister’s in Nottingham. Nice to find a few hills in the Wolds; just a pity there was little of the ‘Bomber’ within the route… but then airfields are normally on boring and flat terrain, though my old base, Binbrook, was on the Wolds near Louth. Some interesting routing with inclines to split folk and the best flat run into and out of Lincoln. I thoroughly enjoyed sharing wheels and the friendliness endemic in the social riding. Really chuffed I could stay with the RAF Team; I am still a member (Honorary) of the RAFCA, (ex-Chairman and Treasurer) and have great memories of memorable cycling campaigns (3 Peaks, Trans-USA, PBP, Trafalgar-Trafalgar, Coast-Coast), wearing the Roundel. Despite the occasional hill, only 970m of climbing; now that’s FLAT!

Great S/F Control. Thanks
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #21 on: 21 February, 2017, 07:21:30 pm »
So I've just entered the second running of this event. Managed to rearrange my day off and planning to ride with a friend. We are both Yorkshire Wold residents looking forward to exploring Southumberland.

« Reply #22 on: 22 February, 2017, 01:16:55 pm »
When I saw this, I thought there had been a change of date, so a bit mis-leading as this was last year's date. This year's event (2017)  is on Saturday 18th March.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #23 on: 22 February, 2017, 03:30:46 pm »
When I saw this, I thought there had been a change of date, so a bit mis-leading as this was last year's date. This year's event (2017)  is on Saturday 18th March.

Yes its the 18th March. Entries are filling up nicely now so expecting a full house shortly. If planning on entering please get  your entry in sooner rather than later.

Two changes to this years event. Bardney is a free control before Lincoln, then down the Water Railway and through to Skellingthorpe. No Lincoln Control.

The other is the use of a cut through path across the bypass at Burgh Le Marsh into the village which is a control. No need to go down the bypass.

For those doing LEL it s a good chance to see the climbs in the Lincolnshire Wolds and Louth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 22 February, 2017, 04:33:16 pm »
As the OP, you can correct the thread title.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...