Author Topic: Making a recording of screen output?  (Read 958 times)

Si

Making a recording of screen output?
« on: 07 January, 2009, 09:36:32 am »
Continuing my requests for ways of appeasing demanding editors.....I've moved away from my paper for the technophobic one and onto the hi-tech one.

This time I have a 3D model of the mapped area (VRML) and what I would like to do is put together an animated walk-through that can be attached to the paper when it is published on-line.  I don't want to publish the whole VRML world for various reasons, so if I fire it up in my browser and walk though the path that I want to demonstrate, how can I capture the walk through for publication? Ideally I'd like to be able to edit it too - so that I can miss out various bits and also add comments along the way.

Oh, and I've no budget for it so all additional software needs to be free!

Any ideas welcomed!
cheers.

Chris S

Re: Making a recording of screen output?
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2009, 09:44:45 am »

Macromedia Captivate.

Oh, and I've no budget for it so all additional software needs to be free!

Doh!

CamStudio 2.0? (Windows)
xvidcap (Linux)

I have this much experience with this: 0, just showing what Dr Google suggested :).

Si

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2009, 10:00:34 am »
Cheers, if it does what it says on the tin then that camstudio looks like a winner!

« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2009, 10:28:50 am »
I've used camstudio successfully - it works well. The nice thing is that you can also record a voiceover through a microphone while you it.

I don't know how well it will work with 3d graphics though. The program that gamers tend to use for capturing games is called 'Fraps' - it does a great job although the free version is limited to 30 seconds and puts a fraps watermark on the video.