Author Topic: Midweek Tour of the Cotswold  (Read 2576 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Midweek Tour of the Cotswold
« on: 10 July, 2012, 09:54:25 pm »
Leg 3 of CET Junior's Brevet 500 attempt.  Anyone else doing this?

Looks like a nice selection of Cotswold valleys and the occasional climb.

We will be taking our time.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

StephenR

• Boooom Blast & Ruin
Re: Midweek Tour of the Cotswold
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2012, 08:14:18 pm »
I have booked the day off and will be riding with some friends. The start is about 10 miles from my home.
This was one of my first ever Audax rides, back in 2007, but have not ridden it since 2008.
It is a lovely route on quiet roads and the hills are not too demanding.

Stephen
The land at the end of our toes it goes on and on and on and on

« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2012, 10:48:29 pm »
Yepp, I am up for this one.  Did it last year and really enjoyed it although would have been even nicer as a 200.  Best leave some room for the feed at the end as the spread was something to behold last time and the goodly ladies who prepare it will not take kindly to "not for me, I have just wolfed down a protein bar"  :)

I don't recommend riding through the ford just after the Farm Park stop (I approached the ford at a snail's pace but then decided to walk the small bridge anyway, along with Mr and Mrs Blacksheep) but the rest is just great, all undulating although without a serious climb to threaten if you pace it right.

« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:32:25 am »
. . . . . . . . . . . . .It is a lovely route on quiet roads and the hills are not too demanding.

Stephen

+1  :thumbsup:

Although I would think there's points AAA missing here. That's not to put-off would be entrants, but any route in The Cotswolds isn't flat.

EDIT 12/07/12 @ 11:31. The AAA ref is made due to both my (and Mrs BlackSheep's) garmins both showing well over 1500m of climb.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2012, 05:21:44 pm »
Well folks, enough weather for you??

Another great spread at the end, I ate until I simply couldn't eat any more but still felt most apologetic to the kind ladies who had prepared it.  I did manage to take a fat slice of banana/toffee cake to keep me going in the way home though  :)

Oranj, was that you in the PBP top?  I seem to recall 2 grown men being unable to work out the first info control...and it took the addition of another 3 before we could set off on our way again on the right route :facepalm:  I was on the blue Mercian with a blue argyle top (well they both started off blue, but don't look so blue now that they are completely covered in grime).

Roll on next year, but some sunshine would be nice.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2012, 08:24:25 pm »
CET Junior has kept up his record of starting Audax rides in the rain, although it soon eased off.  CET junior acquitted himself very well on his hilliest Audax to date although was disappointed that Adam Henson's sausages were not up to the standard of his local butcher.  By being slower round the sun came out on the way to Northleach and we stormed home with a stonking tailwind to mop up what remained of an excellent spread  ;D ;D.  Beautiful route, especially with the Windrush river so full at this time of year and everything still green, will almost certainly do this again some time.  Leg 3 complete.  Leg 4 will be a permanent from Selsey so a little bit flatter... ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2012, 07:50:26 am »
Hi
I am new on this forum - just recently started riding again after a laziness and health issues enforced 8 yr break!!
Hadn't pre-entered this event but thought I would take a chance, ride out to Hailey and see if I could enter on the day - I got there in pouring rain, couldn't find any other cyclists so decided to do my own thing and rode through to Evesham before heading back to Reading.
I ended up doing 300km which is the furthest I've ever done by some way but was a bit disappointed that I missed the Audax ride.
Still, maybe next time.

Paul G

« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2012, 11:27:40 am »
I got there in pouring rain, couldn't find any other cyclists

What time did you get to the start Paul?  There were plenty of us milling around at the rugby club between 09:30 and the start time of 10:00.

« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2012, 11:47:47 am »
Not ridden this one for a couple of years or so now.

Just trying to remember what year it was when the temperature hit 38 degress C and got dehydrated.

« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2012, 04:01:19 pm »

What time did you get to the start Paul?  There were plenty of us milling around at the rugby club between 09:30 and the start time of 10:00.

I got into Hailey at about 9.20 - 9.30.
Part of the problem was I didn't know where the exact start was :-[ :-[ - not a problem as I still got to tour the Ctswolds in the middle of the week :) :).

Oranj, are you the same person who used to post regularly on the Concept2 rowing forum?

Paul G

« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2012, 09:08:50 pm »
Oranj, are you the same person who used to post regularly on the Concept2 rowing forum?

Oh yes, I still hang about there too (been there today, in fact). I went on a brief cycling holiday in the Yorkshire Dales with some of them a few years ago (the "Tour d'Harry") Flickr

You done a bit of rowing in your time then?

Yes, still do quite a lot - only on the erg though - I'm too short and too heavy to be anything but a massive liability in a boat :) :).

Paul G

« Reply #11 on: 15 July, 2013, 08:31:58 am »
Anyone going.on Wednesday then for this years version? Did this in 2010 and it was a good day out, looking like a hot one which is nice.

« Reply #12 on: 15 July, 2013, 12:25:59 pm »
Yepp, I am doing this one again.  Planning to take it easy given the weather.  I went out for a 2 hour ride yesterday lunchtime and suffered dreadfully, even with two water bottles.  It took several ice cold ciders to refresh me properly afterwards  :thumbsup:

I will have to start  my starvation diet now to ensure that the requisite amount of post-ride cake is consumed before being allowed to leave  :)

« Reply #13 on: 17 July, 2013, 10:22:09 pm »
How did you get on Oxoneil?  Bit mad on the approach to Great Barrington with the road resurfacing.  I ended up with my bike on my shoulder and climbing over a re-tarring machine!  The road chaps were really nice though, must have been unbearably hot for them as well as us.

« Reply #14 on: 18 July, 2013, 03:02:27 pm »
Well I gambled and went through all of the road closed signs and as far as the chap sitting in the van, asked him what it was like and decided I didn't want to risk it so went up to the A40 up the lane just near where the van was. I dropped into Burford just before the main A40 RAB (Tanners Lane) and then followed the rest of the route.

I had other deviation due to bad Garmin route planning which meant I came out onto the A429 further away from where we should have done and that involved an extra 2 longish climbs.

« Reply #15 on: 19 July, 2013, 02:46:22 pm »

« Reply #16 on: 10 July, 2014, 10:22:35 am »
Am planning to do this ride - was unable to do an online entry, so wanting to enter on the day - where is the start and arrivee?

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #17 on: 10 July, 2014, 03:50:07 pm »
It leaves form Witney Rugby Club on B4022 1 mile north of Witney.  Hoping to do this probably very slowly if as hilly as others have said.
 ???
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #18 on: 10 July, 2014, 04:57:56 pm »
Thank you Cycling Daddy -
If it is even remotely hilly I will be crawling along right at the back of the field!!

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #19 on: 17 July, 2014, 06:32:48 am »
Well that was a beautiful ride worth the stupid traffic jams around Oxford and the M25.  I took me a long but lovely 6 hours 30 mins. in total, at heart I am just a tourist not a cyclist and a sucker for great views form paths less trod.  I agree Blacksheep's point about hills, I made it just over 1600 metres in total which is a challenge for me.  The spread on return indicated that the pasty I bought form the nice bakers at the last information control was not a wise choice...a real spread.

Hungerford Hurrah next
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #20 on: 18 July, 2014, 11:26:53 am »
Thanks to the organisers - this was a fantastic route and I had a great time getting full value(finishing not much before 5pm) - the only unpleasant bit was getting run off the road out of Kiddington by some a***hole in a red Merc, but at least I had a soft landing in the stinging nettles ::-) ::-)

Paul G