Author Topic: My ElliptiGO Ride at Mille Cymru 2014.  (Read 13998 times)

My ElliptiGO Ride at Mille Cymru 2014.
« on: 01 July, 2014, 05:07:44 pm »
Hi All,

What a hectic past few days it's been! I've posted my complete event report covering the Mille Cymru 2014 Audax cycling event. In the report I explain how I planned, trained and prepared - as well as explaining how the ride itself unfolded. I hope you all find it insightful and useful in some way.

Thanks for everyone's support over the last few weeks and I still hope to share a short film which will be made using video clips taken before, during and after the event. It's good to be back home and it's back to the real world from tomorrow!!!

Here is the link: http://idaimakaya.com/elliptigo/mille-cymru-2014/

Re: My ElliptiGO Ride at Mille Cymru 2014.
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2014, 06:55:23 pm »
Idai, I have the greatest respect for you (and Alan) because of your monumental achievement of taking part in, and finishing, LEL 2013. And I was disappointed for you when I learned that you'd been unable to complete the Mille Cymru. But reading the report you've posted I became more and more alarmed at the way you tried to tackle a Very Hard ride.

Fasting? What? I mean, what?!?

"to reach the end of Stage 2 within the cut-off time of 6:18am I would need to have remained awake for a full 48 hours. I would also have gone without food for about the same amount of time."

No. You cannot ride ultra-endurance events like that. No matter how incredibly fit and motivated you are. And you are! I am in awe of your phyiscal condition and mental determination. But fasting?

Putting the subject of sleep deprivation to one side; and I have some idea what it's like to be massively sleep-deprived on long rides. My first PBP (due to inexperience) and my first LEL (due to mechanical problems and general idiocy) both left me hallucinating, incapable of riding properly and (at one point) incapable of even walking. I learned that You Have To Sleep at least a bit.

But you also must eat (or drink) calories.

I worry about the the effect of taking such an extreme approach endurance events might have on you and on anyone else trying the same approach.

Yours, with the greatest respect and admiration,

Wobbly
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2014, 09:19:58 pm »
Idai, I have the greatest respect for you ....

"to reach the end of Stage 2 within the cut-off time of 6:18am I would need to have remained awake for a full 48 hours. I would also have gone without food for about the same amount of time."

No. You cannot ride ultra-endurance events like that. .."....

I worry about the the effect of taking such an extreme approach endurance events might have on you and on anyone else trying the same approach.

Yours, with the greatest respect and admiration,

Wobbly

1) obviously he can ride endurance events like that
2) most people wouldn't use an Elipitgo either
3) it's just extreme fat burning, we all train to optimise this
4) in the end he didn't actually succeed, which is an indicator to any one new to all this that perhaps there are other ways
5) anyone that hallucinates armadillos is probably in need of a lie down

« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2014, 09:49:28 pm »
We are not worthy. Incredible.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2014, 10:59:33 pm »
1) obviously he can ride endurance events like that

Except it would seem the facts say otherwise.

2) most people wouldn't use an Elipitgo either

It's irrelevant whether you're using an Eliptigo or a bicycle.

3) it's just extreme fat burning, we all train to optimise this

Apart from in adverts there is no such thing as extreme fat burning.

Muscles burn a variety of fuels - blood glycogen being the most common. A this starts to get used the body starts to metabolise body fat, but this is slow compared to the amount required to sustain even moderate levels of excercise. So, in the absence of injested carbohydrates, muscles use other sources of energy including triglycerides from muscle tissue and from the liver. This still does not match the energy requirement for on-going excercise. I'm afraid that if you do not take on additional carbohydrate you will run out of energy.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #5 on: 02 July, 2014, 07:46:15 am »
Hard luck Idai but well done to the Eliptigo rider who managed to get around  :thumbsup:

H

« Reply #6 on: 02 July, 2014, 11:49:28 am »
Thanks for the commiserations chaps. I feel like I'm over it - at the moment - but it is still early days, I suppose.

Wobbly, I know the approach I took sounds extreme, because most people will not be used to doing things this way and fear the concept of fasting. But if you look at the maths and the facts as they transpired, that is probably not what caused my problems.

For the 2 days that I was riding I was tracking just on the cutoffs for the Mille Cymru - but that actually translates into a faster pace than I did at the LEL last year. If you'd seen this Mille Cymru course you'd realise LEL 2013 does not compare in any way. The toughest hills in the LEL would go unnoticed on this course - this is no word of a lie.

My level of fitness last weekend was considerably better than during LEL - and so was my performance while I was still in the Mille Cymru ride. Sleep deprivation has always been my weakness and was almost my undoing at the LEL last year as well. I just couldn't get fast enough to create a sleep cushion in the Mille Cymru and that spelled the inevitable for me. The same happened to Alan, who was not using the same fasting approach as me and who is a stronger rider than I am in the hills.

I'd hate to think that even under different circumstances I still couldn't have done it, but the more I look at the stats the more I realise the enormity of what still lay ahead of me (had I been able to continue). Stuart, the ElliptiGO rider who finished the Mille Cymru, had 90-minutes in hand at the end. It's worth stating that on an ordinary day Stu can complete a 100-mile ElliptiGO ride more than 90-minutes quicker than I can. So if he only had 90-minutes at the end of the 3 day Mille Cymru ride, is it realistic to think I could have come in 90-minutes behind him (had I been stopping to eat every hour or so)?

Alan had calculated the total time spent eating across the 3-day Mille Cymru ride would amount to 9 hours. So if I had been stopping to eat like everyone else I would need to ride 9 hours quicker just to put in the same performance I have done. I cannot see how that could have been possible - considering my performance was already the best long-distance performance I'd ever done.

We'll never know now - and it probably doesn't matter - but I stick with the choices I made regarding nutrition. Right up to the last minute I was able to scale 10-20% inclines. I never stopped once on a steep hill during that event. My physical output was not fading. I think it just didn't work out for me this time. I always seem to manage to do it the hard way in very long rides - I make too many mistakes during the ride and I don't do enough pre-planning (apart from the fitness stuff, which is where my interest lies) - and when you operate like that your luck eventually runs out.

My next goal will be to execute a brevet perfectly - with no mistakes and no excuses. Then I can take stock of which nutritional approach is best for me. But after my fasting rides have transformed me into the the rider I had become this season (I put in my best ever performances over every distance I rode, from 10-miles to 24 hours, when I was preparing for the Mille Cymru using riding fasts) I simply can't justify NOT continuing to ride while fasting - because it has taken my performances to a completely different level and I actually feel better when I ride this way.

I'm not sure where it goes from here guys, but I am really hoping to run into all of you on the open road sometime in the near future - hopefully toiling hard, for at least a couple of days! Stay well and stay safe. If anyone has any questions about the Mille Cymru Audax don't hesitate to ask me. I appreciate everyone's interaction and feedback - and also everyone's support. The Audax community is a special place....

Idai

« Reply #7 on: 02 July, 2014, 12:17:28 pm »
Idai,
You obviously put a lot of thought and effort into both the planning and the ride itself but I tend to agree with Wobbly that such a strategy would not work for these multiday events but respect your point of view and your determination to try to get through such a tough event.
As a matter of interest, can you eat whilst on the move? Most riders are used to drinking and so it should be possible to ingest enough calories if you can eat as well.
I started to ride audaxes mainly to discover lots of wonderful cafes in areas I didn't know so well so the food stops were and are very important for keeping me going from both a physical and mental point of view but I realise some people like to 'bounce' controls and just keep going.
I passed Stuart on his ElliptiGo several times as his pace was slower but he slept less. Do you know how much sleep he got during the MC1K?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 02 July, 2014, 12:46:08 pm »
Idai, you are simply wrong. There is a reason why nobody rides these sorts of long events while fasting. It doesn't work. Even the racer boys doing 24 hour time trials take on calories during the event, often with drink supplements. Eating while riding is the obvious time-saver.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 02 July, 2014, 01:16:37 pm »
.. but I stick with the choices I made regarding nutrition. Right up to the last minute I was able to scale 10-20% inclines. I never stopped once on a steep hill during that event. My physical output was not fading.

If you look at this information and review your heartrate data, discuss with a nutritionist and so on

http://www.ultracycling.com/sections/articles/nutrition/calories.php

Hopefully you will find a way of generating more power and going faster!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #10 on: 02 July, 2014, 01:34:41 pm »
I just read and commented on your Facebook entry Idai and I've got to admit when I got to the bit about going two days without food my reaction was  :facepalm: 
I'm a mere newbie compared to some who've already posted above but even I have the experience to have learned that you *do* need to eat on these things. My problem is that after a while my body actively prevents me from eating if I don't deal with it early enough and this led to a more minor - but nevertheless very unpleasant - experience like yours on last years national 400.  Less of the caffeine - more flapjacks next time eh ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #11 on: 02 July, 2014, 02:44:18 pm »
Idai, I am simply nonplussed by your determination. However in all long rides there is a balance to be struck between eating, sleeping and riding; and on this event, which was the most brutal I have ever encountered, it is more critical than ever. I've always been a quick rider, but on the Mille Cymru even I  had to be worried about cut-off times and even considered packing at one point - OK, I'm not as fit as I used to be but I shouldn't be that slow. So consider it an achievement to do as much as you did.

If there is one lesson to learn from this it is to listen to your body: if it wants food, eat; if it wants sleep, sleep. It generally knows what it needs. You have to be a bit flexible with plans and schedules to allow for this. But given the constraints of your speed on the elliptigo you didn't have a bad plan - both you and I know that it is possible to ride long distances without food (although not this long) - it was just that you were slower than expected (as were we all) and tried to make for up for it by keeping going. Unfortunately this doesn't work.

Your experience with vision happened to me at one point too: I got off the bike, sat down and ate all my emergency chocolate. After 10 minutes I was fine, got back on and finished comfortably. Perhaps this was a better strategy.

For future aims: I'm sure you'll be at PBP next year, this is a piece of cake compared to the Mille Cymru. Alternatively I believe there is a 1200 in Austria which includes the Grossglocknerhochstrasse, the toughest road in Europe. You might find this interesting.

« Reply #12 on: 02 July, 2014, 03:16:05 pm »
Boys, you all make reasonable and very well-meaning points.

But being the only one with the experience of BOTH approaches being discussed here, I feel I am in a better position to evaluate their effectiveness. Just hear me through - and read what I say below carefully and see what you think.

I rode through the LEL 2013 eating every hour - for 5 days. But I still had similar negative experiences to the ones listed in this latest report - sleep deprivation, inability to read the map, falling asleep on the bike (and the additional problem of a complete loss of pace when this sleep issue had hit me during the LEL 2013 ride). But, luckily, I came back from them - largely because the course was less demanding and I could recover from the unplanned sleep break.

The facts are the facts:

- My 100-mile time improved by an hour when I made these changes to riding while fasting.

- I can comfortably GO 24 hours without anything but water and salt, and put in better pace than before.

- If I had been able to stop every 20-24 hours to eat and sleep on the Mille Cymru it possibly would have been a different story, but even with the pace improvements I had made this year I was not able to build the sleep cushion I had needed to execute the plan I had.

Note - I am not saying 48 hours is a good riding spell under any circumstances, especially with no sleep or food. What I am saying is that I didn't have the pace to build a sleep cushion and needed a Plan B and a Plan C. I had to make a judgement call. Yes, the judgement I eventually made was 'clouded' by sleep deprivation and was probably the WRONG one - but it was not completely crazy.

I remember exactly why I chose to GO on when I did. I had told myself that I had ridden for 43 hours without sleep last year - after already being on the road for 3 days in a sleep deprived state - so it was not complete lunacy to think I just might be able to GO just a little further if I tried it at the start of the ride, when I was a bit fresher.

People always say "you can't do this" and "you can't do that".

"Can't" is a very strong word and people should never get accustomed to obeying that command.

If I listened to that I wouldn't be doing long distance cycling and I wouldn't be riding ElliptiGOs. Sometimes you have to clear your pre-conceptions and look at stuff for what it really is. I think I have the experience to be able to do that - and to make judgements based on the information I have. 

I don't have athletic talent - I just train differently to everyone else in order to meet my needs - and it has helped me to perform much higher than I could when I had followed more 'conventional' means of training.

I say "always do what's easiest for you and what gives you the best results". Conventional training approaches don't allow me to perform at the level I want to because I lack that sort of athletic talent - so I have found other ways that do work - even if nobody's written a textbook before to prescribe them.

I do what I do - and it actually works for me. I can point out 30 other guys who rode this event last weekend using the strategy I am being told I should have used - and they still failed to make it through. Sometimes it's not just about 'the approach' - it's about the situation, the athlete and the machine...

If we hadn't completed the LEL 2013 last year everyone would be saying "I told you so" and "It can't be done on a bike like that" - etc.

If Stuart hadn't got through the MC this year successfully everyone would be saying "I told you so" and "It can't be done on that machine".

Sometimes it can be done - and sometimes it can't. Many people who make these 'rulings' simply don't have the experience to be able to make a valid judgement, because they've never tried it the other way - or even investigated it themselves. They are actually just jumping to conclusions based on the first reaction that comes to mind - not based on some sort of science.

Similarly, many cyclists simply shouldn't say: "This can be done fasting" or "That can be done on an ElliptiGO" - because many simply don't have any meaningful information about these things.

People tend not to look at things from that perspective, that they simply haven't seen the other side so they can't make a valid comparison. The real reason people haven't done some of these things before is because they simply haven't thought to do so - not because they can't be done.

In years to come these debates won't be had any more. People will know certain things are possible because they will have seen them done.

When I first started intermittent fasting in the 1990s nobody knew what it was - and they said it would kill you going without food for a day, or exercising without first eating a big meal - etc. Now even Lighter Life do intermittent fasting as part of their programmes for weight loss. It's become more accepted. But early adopters had to prove it first.

When Alan and I signed up for the LEL 2013 on ElliptiGOs we were told it can't be done. Now people realise it can be done. Just because somebody hasn't done something before is never a good reason to say you can't do it either - just make sure you make fully informed decisions whenever you do something. If you don't have the confidence or information to make unconventional decisions then don't. But for those who do have that information to evaluate something unconventional, it's the way human society advances and evolves. Someone has to be an early adopter and to show people there are other ways to do things (or that some things that look hard may not be so hard in reality).

My final judgement call not to sleep in the MC was wrong this time - but it's not hard to see why I thought it possible - given my previous experiences. I wish I'd done things differently in relation to sleep (and stopped after 24 hours, as originally planned) but I do wonder if it would have been practical. If I was getting to those controls after they had closed would the ride still have counted?

I hope this explanation 'kind of' explains how I see the world - even if some of you don't see it this way. People being different is not always an affront to everything you stand for and believe in - it just so happens that some of us have different needs (and need to find different means to address those needs).

It's always great chatting and debating with other riders on here. Have a great afternoon everyone....

Idai

« Reply #13 on: 02 July, 2014, 03:21:26 pm »
Idai, I am simply nonplussed by your determination. However in all long rides there is a balance to be struck between eating, sleeping and riding; and on this event, which was the most brutal I have ever encountered, it is more critical than ever. I've always been a quick rider, but on the Mille Cymru even I  had to be worried about cut-off times and even considered packing at one point - OK, I'm not as fit as I used to be but I shouldn't be that slow. So consider it an achievement to do as much as you did.

If there is one lesson to learn from this it is to listen to your body: if it wants food, eat; if it wants sleep, sleep. It generally knows what it needs. You have to be a bit flexible with plans and schedules to allow for this. But given the constraints of your speed on the elliptigo you didn't have a bad plan - both you and I know that it is possible to ride long distances without food (although not this long) - it was just that you were slower than expected (as were we all) and tried to make for up for it by keeping going. Unfortunately this doesn't work.

Your experience with vision happened to me at one point too: I got off the bike, sat down and ate all my emergency chocolate. After 10 minutes I was fine, got back on and finished comfortably. Perhaps this was a better strategy.

For future aims: I'm sure you'll be at PBP next year, this is a piece of cake compared to the Mille Cymru. Alternatively I believe there is a 1200 in Austria which includes the Grossglocknerhochstrasse, the toughest road in Europe. You might find this interesting.

Good to hear from you Rod - and well done for pulling through in Wales! ;D

Nope, I don't want to see any "hardest roads" in any place, thank you very much! For now I just want to take a breather for a week or two and do absolutely nothing. Then I will know what my next step is - do I do a brevet this year, or just let the fitness go completely? I'll know in the next two weeks.

Almost definitely next year there will be something pretty long - at least 1000k. Possibly the PBP. But let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet! ;)

« Reply #14 on: 02 July, 2014, 03:21:51 pm »
Idai, I am simply nonplussed by your determination.

Personally I have to say I'm in awe of his determination!

If you look at this information and review your heartrate data, discuss with a nutritionist and so on

http://www.ultracycling.com/sections/articles/nutrition/calories.php

In 1999 AUK organised a PBP training weekend - and blooming useful it was too.

Apart from some actual bike riding a number of experts were brought in to give presentations. One of these which had a profound influence on me was from a sports scientist; during her presentation she explained about such things as isotonic drinks (what they were and why they are important) and energy use during endurance events. It was from her lecture that I first learned about how muscles burn fuel and where they get it from, a subject I spent some time investigating subsequently. She quoted a figure of 150 calories per hour that the body can metabolise from fat but that is a generalisation - some people metabolise more, some less; but that's down to the genetic hand you were dealt at birth. If you use more than this then your body will use other sources of fuel. As the article Vorsprung cites - muscle protein is one of those sources!

If you want a bit more detail (actually a lot more detail) try this - http://www.gssiweb.org/Article/sse-59-fat-metabolism-during-exercise-new-concepts

The point I'm trying to convey is that it is profoundly unwise to take part in endurance events without taking on board calories, irrespective of whether you are a super-athlete like Idai or a mere mortal like the rest of us.

And on the same subject it is equally unwise to miss out either of the other two essentials; fluids or electrolytes.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 02 July, 2014, 03:22:16 pm »
I am of the belief that even if a rider can run almost entirely on fat on the flat (some can, I never could) hills need carbs.
Mille Cymru was hilly.
Given that you probably need to stop if you attempt to eat solids on an ElliptiGo, I'd suggest some sort of liquid feeding arrangement.

« Reply #16 on: 02 July, 2014, 03:34:01 pm »
I am of the belief that even if a rider can run almost entirely on fat on the flat (some can, I never could) hills need carbs.
Mille Cymru was hilly.
Given that you probably need to stop if you attempt to eat solids on an ElliptiGo, I'd suggest some sort of liquid feeding arrangement.

"Hellymedic" - I believe it's all or nothing on this front. You can fast, or you must eat solidly and properly. There is no middle ground. The human body simply doesn't work like that.

Eating just a little food is not a 'halfway house' between eating lots and fasting - it simply doesn't work. The fasting metabolism is completely different to the carb metabolism and cannot be expressed if there is even a slight bit of insulin in the system (insulin produced whenever sugar enters the bloodstream). Many people don't understand this.

If you just ate a jellybaby whilst riding a long distance fasting you would crash and burn ('bonk') within half an hour, because insulin would be produced to clear the sugar produced by eating the jellybaby - and you'd have a hypo as a result.

Fasting and eating just a little are not even remotely similar propositions, from a metabolic perspective. So if I eat on a ride - it is heavy eating. Full meals - and solid snacks between them. Every hour. I don't believe in liquid nutrition. It can be a bridge whilst eating other foods, but it cannot support a meaningful effort. I don't think I can ride a 400k Audax on sports drinks alone - no matter how much I drank of them - but I could do so fasting...

Idai

« Reply #17 on: 02 July, 2014, 03:42:50 pm »
Mille Cymru was hilly.

My fasting training does not rely just on fat. That's a misconception many people have. But a number of studies show training whilst fasting is the only genuine way to carbohydrate load. In regular 2 hour fasting rides an athlete can increase by 25 times the carb storage in their muscles compared as someone who tries to carb load by other means. These tests have been done on cyclists. Riding whilst fasting is not just about fat burning, although I expect fat burning plays a very large part.

It is also worth being aware that long distance cyclists only derive about 35-45% of their TOTAL ENERGY EXPENDITURE from the food they are eating over 24 hours cycling duration. The food we stuff in as we ride does not play as big a role as many people think.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 02 July, 2014, 03:46:05 pm »
We will have to agree to disagree here. I really don't think very long distance events are possible when entirely fat-burning/ketotic, though I agree it's a viable prospect for me sitting inactively at my computer.
I truly believe for the intensity and duration of a ride like the Mille Cymru, dual fuel (or probably triple fuel) is needed.
I think you'll otherwise end up burning your muscles and carb-free output won't really get you up all the hills.
The Yiddishe Mama in me says "Eat or I'll kill you!"  ;)

« Reply #19 on: 02 July, 2014, 03:58:54 pm »
I've fasted for up to two weeks, with only occasional fresh juice.

I'd be happy doing something like playing squash or tennis during that time.

I would not be happy doing endurance events.

It's not just about carbs, water and salts. Your body breaks down other substances and needs things such as proteins and vitamins.

There certainly is a halfway house between full-on fasting and eating solid meals. It's what the pro riders do. I think you are treading (excusing the pun) a dangerous line by fasting. At the very least you should have a blood glucose monitor. A crash in blood sugar can be very very dangerous.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #20 on: 02 July, 2014, 04:00:18 pm »

The Yiddishe Mama in me says "Eat or I'll kill you!"  ;)

:'( Don't kill me - please...

« Reply #21 on: 02 July, 2014, 04:02:00 pm »
I've fasted for up to two weeks, with only occasional fresh juice.

I'd be happy doing something like playing squash or tennis during that time.

I would not be happy doing endurance events.

It's not just about carbs, water and salts. Your body breaks down other substances and needs things such as proteins and vitamins.

There certainly is a halfway house between full-on fasting and eating solid meals. It's what the pro riders do. I think you are treading (excusing the pun) a dangerous line by fasting. At the very least you should have a blood glucose monitor. A crash in blood sugar can be very very dangerous.

Not sure I'd play squash while fasting - nor fast for 2 weeks... :hand:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22 on: 02 July, 2014, 04:04:37 pm »
Let's look at the facts, as you say.

You can keep doing what didn't actually work, Idai. Low intensity effort limited by fat-burning alone that left you scraping along the minimum time limit, despite virtually no stops.

I'll stick with an approach that demonstrably works for 1000s of folk all around the world for all distances and for a huge range of intensities. Regular eating and sleeping that allows travelling at sufficient speed, even over hills, to allow regular eating and sleeping.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #23 on: 02 July, 2014, 04:10:57 pm »
LittleWheelsandBig - I simply didn't have the pace - like many of the other riders who took part. We all have our pace - this weekend was as good as I've paced so far in a multi day event - just not good enough on the day...

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #24 on: 02 July, 2014, 04:18:23 pm »

People always say "you can't do this" and "you can't do that".

"Can't" is a very strong word and people should never get accustomed to obeying that command.

The real reason people haven't done some of these things before is because they simply haven't thought to do so - not because they can't be done.

Idai

There is a principle here that really matters more than the 'science'. 
I think the 4 minute mile is a case in point.  Before Bannister it was never achieved or at least recorded.  Since Bannister... well over 1000 runners have broken the 4 minute barrier.  I do not believe this can be accounted for by clothing or shoes...it is just that they realized they could whereas before they were sure it was impossible.

It was Henry Ford who said 'If you think you can or you think you can't your are probably right'.

Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote