Author Topic: Gladestry Audax Weekend - To Whom It May Concern  (Read 9949 times)

Gladestry Audax Weekend - To Whom It May Concern
« on: 03 July, 2014, 01:26:53 am »
The Gladestry Audax Weekend is just six weeks from now and features the following rides: -

On Saturday 16th August
Elan & Ystwyth 200Km
Radnor Roundabout 100Km
Gladesty Trot 50Km

On Sunday 17th August
Tregaron Dragon 200Km
Llandovery Discovery 160Km
Gladestry Gallop 100 Km

The website for the rides is as follows: -

http://www.gladestry.com/Project/AudaxRoutes/

To date, I have just four confirmed bookings!
Usually there are in excess of 60 rider bookings per year.
Although I really enjoy the weekend and meeting you all each year, I have some concern as to the value of my rides to the Audax Community.
The 'takings' from 60 rider bookings does not cover the costs incurred, although that is not my major concern.
The time and effort involved in preparing these rides is considerable!
I must ride each route the week before, admittedly on a motorcycle, but together with preparing the paperwork for the controls and the riders this all takes three full days, five including the event days.

I have in the past accepted bookings right up to the day of the event and very late bookings can add up to 10 to my lists of riders.
This year however, unless I have 40 confirmed and paid for bookings by the end of July, the events will be cancelled..

Sorry,
Ross Jeal
rossjeal@btinternet.com

Euan Uzami

Re: Gladestry Audax Weekend - To Whom It May Concern
« Reply #1 on: 03 July, 2014, 11:32:34 am »
I'll get down for the dragon this year Ross.

Would be a shame if they fell by the way side, you've definitely created a masterpiece there with almost the same climbing as the elenydd but in a 200 and with fantastic controls.
But not your fault -people obviously just aren't hard enough ;)

« Reply #2 on: 03 July, 2014, 12:18:48 pm »
Agree - did the Tregaron Dragon a couple of years ago, it is a 'benchmark' ride.

StephenR

• Boooom Blast & Ruin
« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2014, 05:17:56 pm »
Just entered the Elan & Ystwyth. Have ridden the Tregaron Dragon three time so thought I would try the Elan.

It would be a great shame if these rides were to go, as they are one of the highlights of the Audax year for me.
The land at the end of our toes it goes on and on and on and on

« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2014, 06:10:16 pm »
It's in my diary for Saturday and Sunday 200 km rides
Purely ride fixed

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2014, 11:13:08 pm »
I'll be doing the E & Y as usual :thumbsup:

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #6 on: 07 July, 2014, 09:27:42 pm »
We've not had a chance to ride any of these yet, please do not cancel!  They look like great rides, we were sad to miss them last year so booked annual leave ages ago for this year.  We are still deciding what combination of Sat/Sun rides to do so have not yet entered.  We will need to book accommodation so some reassurance would be appreciated when you have more confidence they will go ahead.

Does anyone please have detailed GPS tracks they can send us for gradient profile and stats calculations?  I'll send email address by P.M.

Cheers A. & C.

« Reply #7 on: 07 July, 2014, 11:44:45 pm »
Dear A & C,
Go to my webpage for all the necessary details of my rides including GPX and gradient profiles.

http://www.gladestry.com/Project/AudaxRoutes/

Regarding the certainty that the rides will go ahead, sorry but I can not yet give ant assurances.

Regards,
Ross Jeal

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2014, 10:04:42 am »
If I was running six rides and all I got was a total of 60 riders I wouldn't bother!

I think you are being very public spirited being willing to run the rides at all with such a low turnout

Euan Uzami

« Reply #9 on: 08 July, 2014, 11:26:11 am »
If I was running six rides and all I got was a total of 60 riders I wouldn't bother!

I think you are being very public spirited being willing to run the rides at all with such a low turnout

The TD is such a flagship of hilly rides that I can't help noticing eminent audaxers by their absence. You would have thought they would want to test their mettle against the hilliest 200 in the calendar.

Last time in 2012 I had bangers and mash with a pint in the sun outside the pub in painscastle. Superb.

Wonder what the feasibility of converting them to perms is? Unlikely I'd guess due to the infos but maybe worth a look...?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 08 July, 2014, 11:46:44 am »

The TD is such a flagship of hilly rides that I can't help noticing eminent audaxers by their absence. You would have thought they would want to test their mettle against the hilliest 200 in the calendar.

I'd heard of the Elan & Ystwyth 200Km and it was on my long list but not the so called "flagship" Tregaron Dragon.  And I am an audax "insider" and a big fan of riding in Wales.

Maybe Ross needs to think about how the  publicity works?  I don't mean this as a criticism!  There really is a ready supply of enthusiasts for this type of event out there.  These people, like me, have never heard of your events but if they did they would be interested

In the current climate of cycling frenzy if a ride gets good publicity it will often fill up all available places overnight

Euan Uzami

« Reply #11 on: 08 July, 2014, 11:59:48 am »
I was just thinking it might be a good idea to big it up on bike radar , face book, or other cycling forums.I could have a go if you like Ross?

« Reply #12 on: 08 July, 2014, 08:34:24 pm »
Okay Ben,

Your proposal has merit and is well worth a try.
Unfortunately I know little about 'bike radar' and nothing about cycling  forums, other than this one.

So, if you think that further interest would be generated by spreading the word more widely using other popular mediums, lets see what you can do!
Any other concerned riders reading these posts, might take note of your approaches and progress, then do likewise with their favoured mediums and cycling groups.

Maybe the Gladestry Audax Weekend rides will gain a new following, who knows, the Gladestry Festival?
The number of rider bookings by the end of July could be interesting!

Good Luck,
Ross Jeal

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #13 on: 08 July, 2014, 08:53:52 pm »
Agree - did the Tregaron Dragon a couple of years ago, it is a 'benchmark' ride.

Benchmark meaning in this context - brutal?  It certainly looks it.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #14 on: 09 July, 2014, 12:07:07 am »

Benchmark meaning in this context - brutal?  It certainly looks it.

Try it and see! I wouldn't describe it as brutal - all metres climbed have an equivalent reward in terms of scenery, remember.

caerau

« Reply #15 on: 09 July, 2014, 03:37:00 pm »
Alas this year I have a wedding to go to the next weekend - mine - 1 week before away would not be conducive to a long and happy marriage I suspect. ;)

caerau

« Reply #16 on: 09 July, 2014, 03:37:47 pm »
Tregaron Dragon has always been on my Audax Bucketlist  - I hope it continues!

« Reply #17 on: 09 July, 2014, 09:16:28 pm »
For second year running i am not able to ride any as coincide with pre booked week holiday.... HOWEVER as very much a local to these rides / area I can fully endorse the quality, hilliness and scenery that all will offer---it is most truly a wonderful, if tough , area to be cycling in so if you can take part.

If events like Elenydd, Brev Cymru, BCM, MC1k attract such high entries then these should similarly appeal, maybe as above it is just a matter of `bigging up` the publicity and profiles. By comparison an event such as Torq Rough Ride MTB ---with its own dedicated website---out of Kington has been going years, is a classic and attracts a very sizeable entry---so it`s not as if the area is `unpopular` to ride in !! 
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #18 on: 09 July, 2014, 09:41:14 pm »
Just a thought, but organising 6 rides must be difficult.

Maybe an idea to pick two of the most popular rides. Tregaron Dragon is probably a must as it has a legendary kind of tag to it.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #19 on: 09 July, 2014, 11:16:37 pm »
Just a thought, but organising 6 rides must be difficult.

Maybe an idea to pick two of the most popular rides. Tregaron Dragon is probably a must as it has a legendary kind of tag to it.

One of the things I like about the Gladestry weekend is that there are rides on Saturday and Sunday from the same place.  i.e. two calendar rides for one journey.  For those riding both days it's good to have the option of a long ride one day and a shorter ride the other or both long or both short.  It makes for a lot of work, but I think it's a good formula and is one of the reasons we want to do these rides rather than others available the same weekend.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #20 on: 09 July, 2014, 11:24:19 pm »
Is there camping space available  ???
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #21 on: 10 July, 2014, 01:24:02 am »
Hi fungus,

There is indeed the facility to camp or park your camper van on the plot.
There is tea, coffee, bananas and toast before the rides and chilli con carne after the rides.
You can relax in the hot tub with your mates at the end of the day to ease your pains, if you bring your trunks!

All you get if you camp is access to an outside WC.
There is a pub 200 yards distant for food and drink.
What more could you ask for?

Regards,
Ross Jeal

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #22 on: 10 July, 2014, 12:40:44 pm »
Sold!  Just trying to sort out time off work  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #23 on: 10 July, 2014, 02:41:46 pm »
Me too. Tregaron Dragon entry submitted  :thumbsup:

crazy diamond

• remember when you were young, you shone.....
« Reply #24 on: 12 July, 2014, 08:08:13 pm »
I did two 100km rides at the Gladestry Weekend in August 2011.  I gave it a mini write up in Arrivee May 2012, (in the article on the Marple Grimpeurs !)  It was a wonderful weekend, the rides, the hospitality, the weather, everything was brilliant.  I hope to be coming back this year, Ross, and try a 200km, maybe the E and Y, rather than the Dragon, but who knows?  I cannot recommend the event too highly.  Any "commercial" organisation would be charging 10x the entry fee, and extra for food and camping.  Perhaps a bit more publicity would help spread the word!