Author Topic: Rural South 300  (Read 2205 times)

Rural South 300
« on: 18 July, 2014, 07:42:33 am »
Anyone tempted by this one?
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

SkidBr

• Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
Re: Rural South 300
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2014, 10:21:25 pm »
Well I'm in Doo.  Looking forward to it as it looks like a really nice one..

« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2014, 10:47:09 am »
I have 20 entries at the moment :-)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2014, 11:00:53 am »
Over the years, I have heard people talking about this being a fantastic route.  I know some parts of it well, some not at all, and it looks like it links them up brilliantly.  So it sounds like a great event to return to the calendar. 

I hope it's a great success and will run next year.  The 300s over the best months for riding 300s are lacking a little as the calendar gets filled up with 600s etc.  Nothing better than a summer 300 when a good chunk of riders will be able to ride them in daylight, or very minimal night riding. 

The partner events to this (Up the Downs and Down the Ups) are also great rides - I did the Up the Downs in the autumn following PBP and it was a lovely ride).

Sadly, I will be on a train back from the HGWI 1300, so unable to ride - but best of luck to all those riding and I hope to ride this next year.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2014, 07:48:39 pm »
Oooh, this sounds exciting then, have entered. Not been on my bike in a whole week, so am sure to suffer. Am sure I'll enjoy the day anyway. Bring it on!
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #5 on: 22 July, 2014, 11:52:30 pm »
This was my first audax, when I rode the RS in 2009. I just turned up as if I was doing a long sportive. No saddlebag for me. I had a few punctures along the way but got round in 15hrs.
Since then I've really got to enjoy the odd audax. PBP & LEL :thumbsup:
I've entered to ride it again for old time sake.
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2014, 08:56:16 am »
A friend and I will hopefully be bimbling around the 100km sister ride (Down The Ups). The weather looks good and I'm looking forward to a nice repeat of my first ever 100km audax last year  :thumbsup:

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2014, 09:11:43 am »
I'm in and looking forward to it !!!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

parkysouthlondon

• SWRC FB
« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2014, 10:02:54 am »
I suppose you'll be riding there, riding the event, then riding home afterwards.
South Western Road Club

« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2014, 11:39:38 pm »
I suppose you'll be riding there, riding the event, then riding home afterwards.
I will be....but then, I do only live 10k from the start ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #10 on: 23 July, 2014, 11:43:56 pm »
I will be....but then, I do only live 10k from the start ;D

Yessiree Alan, I will be, just like Pete, but a but more so, and bear in mind that as the direct route is only 115 kms, I'll probably be riding away from Reading to Weston-Super-Mare and back first, which of course means no rucksack until about halfway......
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #11 on: 27 July, 2014, 04:02:41 pm »
Only signed up for this at the last minute as Reading rides aren’t normally on my radar but fancied another 300 and Reading isn’t so far from Bristol. However, heading down the M4 at 4:00 I was starting to doubt the decision as I’m not keen on driving to events and after an hour it started to feel like a long way.  The friendly welcome at the village hall soon put this thought out of my mind.  Seemed to be about 30+ starters and soon got into conversation with Parkysouthlondon but it was clear that I couldn’t keep that pace going and I backed off and hooked up with Graham from Reading and we stayed together all the way round.

It didn’t take long for the ‘rural’ aspect to the ride to become clear with some lovely landscapes of fields and rolling hills which reminded me of the Marlborough Downs.  This continued to the first control and a great breakfast at The Swan Hotel.  Then more of the same to the wonderful hill above Portsmouth and the military installations (old and new) overlooking the town.  The control was a massive lay by/viewing point with great views of Portsmouth we were met by ride organiser Ian with a car full of water and biscuits, both very welcome.  Didn’t stop here long before heading north and then east.  This was the toughest section with some stiff climbs and sharp downhills and generally an undulating landscape which meant finding a good rhythm very difficult.  The heat really began to tell and water supplies were diminishing rapidly. We saw a sign for a village shop in West Dean which out to be a shop in transition and closed but the family were inside doing some work and they filled our bottles … nice.

On to Wisborough Green and the demands of the terrain and the heat were taking their toll on me and I managed to get some ham egg and chips down and felt rough on the restart, needed to select a really low gear to get up a mild incline but gradually the legs started to come back.  A few climbs on this section and the undulations continued, stopped for more water at a co-op and a thirst quenching Calypo!.  Then a pub control where I got a apple crumble and custard down.  I’d convinced myself that the last section was flat (having since reread the ride info it said flat from Basingstoke which was a lot further on).   There were a few stiff climbs and maybe some of the steepest but all manageable with the granny gear although I did have some heartsink moments approaching a couple of crossroads looking at the garmin line which took us straight to the hilly option.

We stopped for a break in a lay by about 30k to go and parkysouthlondon appeared and we shared the ride back and we generated some good pace (for me) at the end of the ride.
A terrific ride with great countryside, I understand this has been off the calendar for a few years but hope it stays around again now, I wouldn’t hesitate doing it again. One thing I’ve learnt from this is that lack of AAA points does not mean it’s flat or benigh, there was some seriously tough terrain here.

Big thanks to Ian for organising an excellent event with food available at the beginning and end and a great route.  Also thanks to Graham and ParkySouthLondon for the company.

parkysouthlondon

• SWRC FB
« Reply #12 on: 27 July, 2014, 11:41:59 pm »
Riders at the start

and my feet cooling off in a stream about half way round.

South Western Road Club

« Reply #13 on: 28 July, 2014, 09:57:14 pm »
A great ride indeed and good to hear that I wasn't the only one who found the last section of the ride not quite as "flat as a pancake".   In pursuit of comfort over speed I rode my 37lb 69er and found myself in good company with others in the heavyweight (bikes) division.  Top marks have to go to the young lady on her first 300 riding a butterfly barred mountain bike with what appeared to be 45mm Marathons (2lbs per tyre?) who danced up the hills as if she were a... butterfly!!  Sorry I didn't catch your name and your partner's on the splendid Dawes SG, you'd make a great tandem pair!  Many thanks to Ian and co for organising this ride, I can appreciate there's a lot of effort and long hours in making this event the success it was!
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #14 on: 30 July, 2014, 06:58:30 pm »
A superb day out, which for me was 330k including riding to & from Beech Hill.  We couldn't have asked for better weather either 8)

Thanks Ian, Phil & your team for getting this event back on the calender :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Peter.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.