Author Topic: Don Black's Signpost  (Read 899 times)

Don Black's Signpost
« on: 23 July, 2014, 11:00:34 am »
Don black now has a memorial signpost on the moors above Marple Bridge.  I took a trip out to it and wrote a little report:-

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10.msg1716720#msg1716720  Reply 17441

crazy diamond

• remember when you were young, you shone.....
Re: Don Black's Signpost
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2014, 11:11:16 pm »
Thanks for the info. Peter.  I'll pop up and have a look sometime soon.  Its a lot closer to home for me!

« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2014, 12:30:11 am »
You're welcome, C.  It's a lovely spot.

crazy diamond

• remember when you were young, you shone.....
« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2014, 09:52:36 pm »
I walked up there today, to have a look at the signpost.  Its been quite a while since I've been over that path.  Its a great situation, with views of most of the summits crossed on the Kinder Trog fell race; Lantern Pike, the Kinder Downfall edge, Mount Famine / South Head as well as Ollersett Edge. Also Cown Edge and Bleaklow to the north, and of course all of the Cheshire Plain to the south west. 
I'd forgotten how enclosed the burial mound at Brown Low actually is, the amount of double stranded barbed wire around the perimeter is perhaps reminiscent of the trenches.  Best not to try and get in.
Thought I'd have a drink with Don afterwards.  The Hare and Hounds at Millbrow was shut, so I had to make a detour up to the Moorfield Arms for a pint of Hobgoblin. I think Don would have approved. 
If anyone doing any of the first three Marple Grimpeurs is interested, its only a short detour on any of those rides, and I could take people up there.  It is about 20 minutes there and back to walk to the signpost from the road, so it would add about half an hour to the ride.