Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164531 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #4525 on: 17 October, 2011, 11:53:05 am »
i got a gold star from the physioterrorist this morning.  she reckons that i've been doing all the right things (thanks newt!) and that i've got damn near full range of rotational movement in the elbow back already, so now need to slowly add resistance to get something resembling some strength back in it.  bit further to go with bending and especially straightening it, but she seemed to think it was actually not dreadful and i've been sent off with my stretchy rubber band, a set of exercises to do and permission, if i am a good girl and do said exercises properly and regularly, to attempt to ride a bike in about a week.  although she did say that i was only allowed to go round the block, not more than a mile, to start off with!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4526 on: 17 October, 2011, 12:21:54 pm »
That sounds like good news :)
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4527 on: 17 October, 2011, 12:24:39 pm »
if i am a good girl and do said exercises properly and regularly, to attempt to ride a bike in about a week.  although she did say that i was only allowed to go round the block, not more than a mile, to start off with!

Excellent news.  I recommend avoiding those cobbles of DETH thobut.

LindaG

« Reply #4528 on: 17 October, 2011, 12:25:58 pm »
Brilliant!  So you should be on for Whitby then?

« Reply #4529 on: 17 October, 2011, 12:57:51 pm »
When my broken elbow was mending I didn’t get a physioterrorist, but the consultant at the fracture clinic told me after three weeks that I could ride my bike ‘as long as you don’t stand up and lean on the bars, or go offroading…’

;D

« Reply #4530 on: 17 October, 2011, 01:09:07 pm »
Oooi great news Crinkles!

My good news: I have found a bench.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4531 on: 17 October, 2011, 01:18:12 pm »
 :thumbsup: for CL

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4532 on: 17 October, 2011, 01:19:27 pm »

are you a majjytsrait magistrate now then? :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4533 on: 17 October, 2011, 01:41:25 pm »
Next year's holiday accomodation is booked!

Just need to book the flights and bike hire now, oh and sort out some Euros for this weekend :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4534 on: 17 October, 2011, 03:30:08 pm »
When my broken elbow was mending I didn’t get a physioterrorist, but the consultant at the fracture clinic told me after three weeks that I could ride my bike ‘as long as you don’t stand up and lean on the bars, or go offroading…’

;D
When my broken collarbone was mending, the doctor at the fracture clinic I saw two weeks after the break told me it had closed up, & I could use it as long as I didn't overdo it. I asked what would be overdoing it, & she said "You'll know."

She was right. The body has an excellent built in early warning system for "your collar bone will break again if you don't stop what you're doing NOW!"  :o

Week long cycling holiday in France 5 weeks after the break. No worries. Few minor twinges, is all.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

CrinklyLion

« Reply #4535 on: 17 October, 2011, 04:40:43 pm »
well, i just picked valencia up from the corner shop where she had been for drivetrain surgery.  walked her home, but rode the last couple of hundred yards just to see - physio is right, it needs a few more days and a bit of stretching still.  but i could really tell when she did the assessment how much it has improved in the last week or so since the consultant did similar at the fracture clinic, which makes me  :) 

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4536 on: 17 October, 2011, 04:55:07 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #4537 on: 17 October, 2011, 05:13:32 pm »
Yay!

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #4538 on: 17 October, 2011, 08:04:21 pm »

It has taken me 6 days of walking around at lunchtime to find a bench for me to sit at while I eat.

Small things, Jogler, small things, are all it takes to make us happy sometimes.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4539 on: 17 October, 2011, 08:16:59 pm »

It has taken me 6 days of walking around at lunchtime to find a bench for me to sit at while I eat.

Small things, Jogler, small things, are all it takes to make us happy sometimes.

yes indeed & I'm fortunate that MyRock thinks so too ;)
I'm gonna get nearer the front of the queue next time they are handed out  :demon:

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4540 on: 17 October, 2011, 08:19:55 pm »
CL - that's awesome news!  I love it when you can feel something healing bit by bit!

fboab the bench sounds great!  I should probably do more daylight during working hours.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4541 on: 18 October, 2011, 12:09:29 pm »
I've now done over 1000km on my Giant hybrid since getting it back at the start of September. Yes, I know you do that in a weekend, and it isn't really news anyway, but it feels good to me.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4542 on: 18 October, 2011, 12:40:38 pm »
Sounds good to me (and 1000km takes me a month, btw ;) ) :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4543 on: 18 October, 2011, 03:13:24 pm »
Heating and hot water: we has them.

And a boiler so quiet that I can understand brummies over it.

« Reply #4544 on: 18 October, 2011, 06:35:32 pm »
I found another bench.

It even overlooks some grass.
Perfect.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #4545 on: 18 October, 2011, 06:46:55 pm »
we had mash and beans for tea.  and some other stuff, but the mash and the beans is important because i peeled spuds myself and opened a tin myself.

any day now i may even start CapiTaliSing (ouch) properly again.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4546 on: 18 October, 2011, 07:08:58 pm »
co-incidentally we too had mashanbeans plus sossigdes.The beans were important here too because they represented the limit of my culinary skills

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4547 on: 18 October, 2011, 07:29:47 pm »
We had beansanrice. But what I wanted to say is this:
Little Cudzo is a big fan of Beast Quest books. A couple of weeks ago there was a competition in a children's magazine called Dinomite, in which one of the prizes (you could choose from half a dozen or so) was a set of the most recent Beast Quest books. You had to write something about why Dinomite is such a good magazine. And he won! The postman called today with a big parcel containing six books and a little note of congratulations. He's almost as excited about the fact that he can now cut the cards out of the back of the book, in contrast to the ones we get from the library, as  he is happy at having won - and he's just trounced me at Beast Quest top trumps!  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LindaG

« Reply #4548 on: 18 October, 2011, 07:43:41 pm »

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4549 on: 19 October, 2011, 11:33:11 am »
Another day, another interview opportunity - after a string of real stinkers, it looks like I may have an interview with the British Library. Not only is it based locally (Boston Spa, or a commute of about 10 miles each way) but it also sounds rather interesting - OK, so it's civil service and the pay isn't brilliant, although it *is* more than I'm currently getting, plus it's a 2 year fixed contract but it has potential.

It'll be interesting to see how they react to the fact that I'll have to ride to the interview :) There's only one bus a a day(!) and I'm not hiring a car for the sake of a 20-30 mile round trip.