Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164693 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #5175 on: 03 June, 2012, 08:02:16 pm »
I have found my "Cyclists Map of Cornwall"  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5176 on: 03 June, 2012, 08:04:50 pm »
SmallestCub can reach the pedals.

Hurrah!

Guess I'd better fettle the mtb soon then!

* Kim passes the Bigger Hammer™

« Reply #5177 on: 03 June, 2012, 10:27:10 pm »
SmallestCub can reach the pedals.

Hurrah!

Guess I'd better fettle the mtb soon then!

* Kim passes the Bigger Hammer™

If it's likely to require a winch, a jack, a welder or some massive item of  homebuilt engineering, let us know before MFWHTBAB next comes over!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #5178 on: 05 June, 2012, 01:37:02 am »
We've had a wonderful afternoon at Bike Newport http://www.bikenewport.net/ enjoying the facilities of their touring cyclists' 'day hostel' - laundry, hot shower, sofas, wifi, all-day breakfasteria across the road... ahh! Now to pack up again and head into the driving rain to pitch our tent in a local State Park!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5179 on: 05 June, 2012, 10:45:32 am »
A lot better than the Newport Towers Motel I rode past yesterday.

Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5180 on: 05 June, 2012, 05:49:07 pm »
I've discovered that the Streetmachine fits in barakta's mum's ludicrous car, with only minor un-molishment of both.

This means that I can return the car and do next week's FNRttC on a bike with wide tyres and full suspension (for Blackburn's 4000 potholes) and a lie-back-and-think-of-wowbagger gear (for the climb).  Last year I did the Blackpool ride on the Dawes, and couldn't feel my fingers properly for about a week.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5181 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:57:28 am »
Ten years ago today Mrs T made me the happiest person on the planet.

She is still managing that feat.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5182 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:59:43 am »
:thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5183 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:40:48 am »
My Raspberry-Pi should be turning up today ;D

« Reply #5184 on: 08 June, 2012, 09:51:26 am »
The garage phoned. I nearly didn't answer, having very little capacity left for bad news.

My car is fixed.

£35.70

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5185 on: 08 June, 2012, 09:52:10 am »
Passed the written papers of my manual handling reaccreditation with Credit, 89%.

Got a distinction last time but I don't know what the percentage was. 90% I think. Obviously my revision technique of watching The West Wing with the folder open in front of me has cost me a few per cent.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5186 on: 08 June, 2012, 09:54:30 am »
My car is fixed.

:o

Not owning a car (or indeed a driving licence) I am not very well informed about the cost f such things, but that seems remarkably close to affordable and sensible amounts to waste spend on a vehicle repair.  Was cake involved in the exchange?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5187 on: 08 June, 2012, 09:58:07 am »
The garage phoned. I nearly didn't answer, having very little capacity left for bad news.

My car is fixed.

£35.70
That is fantasic news!

I never have car bills that low - they're always in 3 figures and have had one of 4 figures in the last few years!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #5188 on: 08 June, 2012, 09:59:47 am »
No, no cake.

Apparently the clutch failure was not 'all the fluid leaking out of the cylinder through its broken seals', but a much more straightforward 'the clip that attaches the pedal to the cylinder had come off at the cylinder end'.

To say that I'm relieved is an understatement. I wasn't going to be able to pay for our holiday if it had been the former, and as Mrs Ernst has paid and I need to pay her when she's worked out the exchange rate, it would have been a fucking disaster.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5189 on: 08 June, 2012, 11:15:09 am »
My car is fixed.

Hardcore!  Most people prefer gears.
Getting there...

« Reply #5190 on: 08 June, 2012, 12:22:46 pm »
Great news boab  :thumbsup:

tiermat

« Reply #5191 on: 08 June, 2012, 12:46:38 pm »
Terrorvison have just released a load of tour dates, mainly in October, but in June (29th) they are playing DV8 in York.  In October they are playing Leeds, at the Cockpit and Newcastle, at Northumberland Uni (Poly as was).

Decisions, decisions, Leeds or Newcastle?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #5192 on: 08 June, 2012, 12:48:32 pm »

My car is fixed.

£35.70

Fabulous.  :D

lou boutin

« Reply #5193 on: 08 June, 2012, 12:49:06 pm »
Passed the written papers of my manual handling reaccreditation with Credit, 89%.

Got a distinction last time but I don't know what the percentage was. 90% I think. Obviously my revision technique of watching The West Wing with the folder open in front of me has cost me a few per cent.

Congratulations.

tiermat

« Reply #5194 on: 08 June, 2012, 12:49:57 pm »
fboab, shift the decimal point one to the right and that will be closer to what the MOT on Mrs T's Megane is going to cost us (new rear springs, new ball joint at front and indicator fault)

lou boutin

« Reply #5195 on: 08 June, 2012, 04:23:47 pm »
Just fetched my car and it's only cost £49.50. Yeah :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5196 on: 08 June, 2012, 04:45:45 pm »
Apparently the clutch failure was not 'all the fluid leaking out of the cylinder through its broken seals', but a much more straightforward 'the clip that attaches the pedal to the cylinder had come off at the cylinder end'.

35 quid sounds a bit steep for replacing a missing pingfuckit with a couple of cable ties, thobut  ;D

« Reply #5197 on: 08 June, 2012, 05:00:29 pm »
just started working a 3 year old, last raced beginning of this year, I am pleased to say that after an initial fit of bucking, rearing  and farting she soon calmed down and went round like she'd been doing it all her life, looks very promising. :smug:
just need to get some one to get on her back,  :demon:

tiermat

« Reply #5198 on: 08 June, 2012, 05:04:55 pm »
just started working a 3 year old, last raced beginning of this year, I am pleased to say that after an initial fit of bucking, rearing  and farting she soon calmed down and went round like she'd been doing it all her life, looks very promising. :smug:
just need to get some one to get on her back,  :demon:

Maybe you had better make it clear, for those who don't know you, that this is a horse....

<psst, it is a horse you are talking about, isn't it?>  :demon:  ;D

« Reply #5199 on: 08 June, 2012, 05:37:14 pm »
No, no cake.

To say that I'm relieved is an understatement. I wasn't going to be able to pay for our holiday if it had been the former, and as Mrs Ernst has paid and I need to pay her when she's worked out the exchange rate, it would have been a fucking disaster.

Sounds like what happened to MFWHTBAB's car in Cromer last year. He fixed it with jubilee clips at the roadside, lying with his head wedged under the steering column and his legs out of the door, while I passed him a selection of clips from a cheap Halfords multipack. His god-daughter's mother and sister looked on from the back seat!

It was that day we hit upon the idea of precious metal jubilee clips as wedding rings - several months before we were ever actually engaged. ;)

I think it was also the moment that I fully realised that here was a man who could Fix Things Big Time.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk