Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164649 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #2875 on: 02 November, 2010, 06:38:56 pm »
* - I know, I know - it's 'Road Fund Licence'

Vehicle Excise Duty..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2876 on: 02 November, 2010, 07:08:43 pm »
This was heading for the rant thread till a massive, unexpected u-turn in the goodwardly direction this afternoon:

I bought a used BMW about six months ago. I paid slightly over the odds for because i bought it from a BMW dealership rather than privately 'for peace of mind'.   

The tax disc*  ran out last week so I went online to buy a new one but I couldnt find the log book anywhere.  Assuming I'd just lost it, I spent a fun hour turning the house upside down looking for it.  Then I phoned the DVLA and asked what to do, they said to fill out a couple of forms and drive 50 miles to my nearest DVLA office and they'd order a new one. 

Except when I got there (in Mrs Mikes' car) they wouldnt because I wasnt the registered owner - it still shows on the system as belonging to the bloke who sold it to the garage...  The DVLA have to write to him, check he no longer has the car and it hasnt been pinched, then they'll issue me a new V5 and let me buy a tax disc*.  This could take six weeks, during which I cant use the car.  ARSE. 

They also said I should speak to the dealer..

So I did, expecting to be told it was my fault for losing the tear off bit of the V5 or the DVLAs fault for screwing up and there was nothing they could do, but I was completely wrong - they've admitted full responsibility and are lending me a car as long as I need it, they've even offered to put my car in their secret underground bunker on their insurance because it's not covered by mine while it's untaxed

the sales guy organising all this is earning himself a bottle of whiskey, it would have been easy for them to fob me off and do nothing but they really do seem to be trying to help.    I guess they know they've screwed up by not sending all the forms off and want to keep me happy...  :thumbsup:

Warm 'good customer service' feeling in the old cockles, eh?  Maybe the universe is benign, after all.

Not surprised they were anxious to help. Sounds like they sold you a car they didn't own, well as far as the DVLA are concerned. Oops!

gordon taylor

« Reply #2877 on: 02 November, 2010, 07:13:49 pm »

Vehicle Excise Duty..

Whilst "Road Tax" died in the 1930s the Road Fund existed until the 1950s. AFAIK.

You're only about sixty years out of date, I think.  :) ;)

That disc in your car window is pollution duty; if you have a clean engined car it's free!

« Reply #2878 on: 02 November, 2010, 09:21:41 pm »
Phew, I've just offloaded loads of shite I've had today on various threads and I feel much better. Time to take the hamster out of the microwave, methinks...

Only joking about the hamster. Miss Fluffy is safe & well...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2879 on: 02 November, 2010, 10:34:11 pm »

Vehicle Excise Duty..

Whilst "Road Tax" died in the 1930s the Road Fund existed until the 1950s. AFAIK.

You're only about sixty years out of date, I think.  :) ;)

That disc in your car window is pollution duty; if you have a clean engined car it's free!

clean-ish...  (well, its clean for the next six weeks anyway)

I may have inherited ....
« Reply #2880 on: 02 November, 2010, 10:45:37 pm »
Grin Grin Grin Grin

I can't believe that I missed this email previously - it must have gone to junk just as this one did.

GREATER HEIGHT CHAMBERS
FROM THE DESK
BARRISTER BRANDEIS DIETRICH
One Lampton Road
London EC4V 6AU.
DX 162 Chancery Lane
United Kingdom.

I am the sole executor and trustee of the estate of a testator and I hereby attempt to reach you again by this same email address stated on the TRUST as my previous notification to you was returned undelivered.Please if I reach you this time as I am hopeful endeavour to get back to me.I have information concerning the availability of a safe deposit box with a bank which has been listed in your name.The testator made you the beneficiary of the deposit box which contains 314,000GBP as a secret trust.

Secret trust arises where a person called the testator transfers property to another party (the legatee) to be held on trust for the benefit of a beneficiary who does not know that such a trust exists until the time stated in the instrument creating the trust have reached.

Financial assets like this are considered unclaimed when contact with a beneficiary is lost for an extended period or the where about is unknown to the executors of the trust.This often happens due to a name change after marriage or divorce, an unreported change name and address or expired postal forwarding order,incomplete, illegible records and result of computer and clerical errors. When legatee fail to claim an asset/funds over a specified period known as the dormancy period, those left holding the trust property(funds)in a case like this where the trust was invested, had ordered transfer custody to a special trust account in a process known as escheat.Your inheritance is now escheated to the bank.

My duty is to provide legal assistance and claims administration for transfer of custody of the funds to you as the sole and legal beneficiary.Upon your response to this email,I shall provide you will further information on the release of the funds to you .I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Best Regard,
Barrister Brandeis Dietrich
Email: barrbrandeisdietrich@avasmail.com.mv
 Grin Grin

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2881 on: 03 November, 2010, 09:25:43 am »
This is my one thousandth post.

border-rider

Re: I may have inherited ....
« Reply #2882 on: 03 November, 2010, 09:33:51 am »
The testator made you the beneficiary of the deposit box which contains 314,000GBP as a secret trust.

Nice as pi.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: I may have inherited ....
« Reply #2883 on: 03 November, 2010, 09:40:13 am »
The testator made you the beneficiary of the deposit box which contains 314,000GBP as a secret trust.

Nice as pi.

Every now and then I look in my junk folder and such emails constitute 90% of the contents, the other 10% being from ladies who have been unlcky in love and looking for a kind friend. It's hilarious to see them all listing one after the other.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2884 on: 03 November, 2010, 10:58:17 am »
I got a marriage proposal from someone who had read my profile on the Audax Club Parisien social networking website.  audax2010@IanBlake.me.uk appears in a pdf on the ACP naming as the contact for Down The British. Still that email address will not live much longer and I will return to a mostly spam free existence.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2885 on: 04 November, 2010, 09:56:26 am »
I have sorted out my transport to Whitby issue (without having to resort to the entertaining but undoubtably stupid ride there in the dark on my own option) for Friday.  Which means that, if all goes to plan, we're going on jollyday! OK, only for two nights but every little helps.

« Reply #2886 on: 04 November, 2010, 10:44:51 am »
I just got an email from Planet-X saying that they'll be building my n+1, in a few days.

Yay!
Happy bounce.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2887 on: 04 November, 2010, 09:02:17 pm »
I have had a lovely day considering I had to go to work and the weather was poor (although that's par for the course with a November birthday).

When I got up I opened the cards that had arrived over the past few days, and I went to the bus stop and the bus I wanted was just arriving. At work I wore the birthday hat all day (it actually has felt candles on the top of it) and we had cake made by the social worker I have been teaching to bake. My lovely colleagues gave me an Accessorise gift card, a knitted penguin and a giant cupcake tin which is really just a hint they want a cake. And tonight I went for a curry with a couple of friends and one has made an album compiled of photos of me/my friends over the last 20 years and it is hilarious. And we had delicious curry and then had sparklers in the street.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2888 on: 04 November, 2010, 09:32:29 pm »
ooo Happy birthday Kirst :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2889 on: 04 November, 2010, 10:26:39 pm »
Oh yes.  Happy happy happy birthday :-* :-* :-*
Getting there...

LindaG

« Reply #2890 on: 04 November, 2010, 10:33:27 pm »
Happy birthday!

« Reply #2891 on: 05 November, 2010, 06:16:36 am »
Happy birthday Kirst!
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #2892 on: 05 November, 2010, 07:52:15 am »
I is 40.  :-\

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2893 on: 05 November, 2010, 08:01:53 am »
Wish I was.  :-X
Happy Burdy from me and Mrs eck.  :-*
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2894 on: 05 November, 2010, 08:36:14 am »
Happy B-day Kirst  :thumbsup:
Oh the painter rang and said my frame have been resprayed and ready to collect on monday  :D

« Reply #2895 on: 05 November, 2010, 08:56:26 am »
Happy Birthday Kirst - I remember when I was 40; seems like only yesterday. Thank goodness for long term memory retention.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2896 on: 05 November, 2010, 09:11:07 am »

40 is the new 21!  :thumbsup:

Belated felicitations...   how's the head?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #2897 on: 05 November, 2010, 09:15:44 am »
Head's fine, I had very little to drink. I anticipate the hangover of all hangovers on Sunday though.

On the other hand, following last night's delicious curry, I am a walking talking garlic monster, and I have a GP appointment in 15 minutes.  :-[

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2898 on: 05 November, 2010, 09:28:37 am »
40 is good!  My life got better & better from there :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2899 on: 05 November, 2010, 10:06:57 am »
Happy Birthday for yesterday, Kirst.

Did you get a card from Zurich Assurance?  :demon:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.