Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164513 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #3450 on: 17 February, 2011, 08:59:58 pm »
What might seem like bad news is actually Good News.

I have asthma and now have to use an inhaler. At least I know why I feel like shit just walking up the stairs.

There's a reason and we can do something about it.   :thumbsup:

Mrs Torslanda, of the horned helmet and heavy metal breastplate, just insisted I add that her nagging has paid off . . .  :o

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #3451 on: 17 February, 2011, 09:46:46 pm »
What might seem like bad news is actually Good News.

I have asthma and now have to use an inhaler. At least I know why I feel like shit just walking up the stairs.

There's a reason and we can do something about it.   :thumbsup:

Mrs Torslanda, of the horned helmet and heavy metal breastplate, just insisted I add that her nagging has paid off . . .  :o

It's good you now have a diagnosis, I started to suffer from severe asthma aged 34 and it took some time to get it under control and on teh Right Drugs. But I am now back at almost full lung capacity and able to do lots of stuff that I once would have had no problem doing, so there is life after asthma. I never ever go out on the bike without a salbutamol inhaler though, my local CTC think I am doping with it  ;D

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3452 on: 17 February, 2011, 09:54:03 pm »
That reminds me of 'French Revolutions'  ;)

The bit where he tried to combine salbutomol and red wine and couldn't understand why he fell over instead of bombing uphill!

Sounds like me!

Anyone fancy Todmorden and back on the canal at slower than barge pace? i'm supposed to be doing Manchester - Blackpool in July  :o
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3453 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:10:19 pm »
Well, that's progress, torslanda.  I, too, am an abuser of the salbutamol inhaler. ;D  Never go anywhere without one.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3454 on: 17 February, 2011, 11:18:39 pm »
Salbutamol: 1  Smalldean Lane: 0

Just saying  ;)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3455 on: 18 February, 2011, 04:52:05 pm »
Mrs T is going to buy me a new Gaggia for my b'day....

Not that I need one, it's just the current one is silver and everything else in the kitchen is red....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3456 on: 18 February, 2011, 04:58:12 pm »
Bah!  Unnecessary expense.  How much is Humbrol enamel paint? ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #3457 on: 18 February, 2011, 08:30:06 pm »
1) It's Friday  - I've survived one b..tard week at work without murdering anyone :thumbsup:
2) I've got tickets to go to the Manchester Velodrome tomorrow and Sunday to watch foolish idiots top grade athletes ride round and round in circles for the World Cup Classic  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3458 on: 18 February, 2011, 08:51:59 pm »
1) It's Friday  - I've survived one b..tard week at work without murdering anyone :thumbsup:
2) I've got tickets to go to the Manchester Velodrome tomorrow and Sunday to watch foolish idiots top grade athletes ride round and round in circles for the World Cup Classic  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sounds good. Cheer for my mate Kev in the team sprint (allegedly)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

David Martin

« Reply #3459 on: 18 February, 2011, 08:53:07 pm »
The hen we hatched last summer has just laid her first egg.

« Reply #3460 on: 19 February, 2011, 06:20:12 pm »
Ya-hey! I think I've sold the Multipla. Even managed to find the V5. I shall miss it though, as it carried me to & from Budapest a few times and never missed a beat.

The bad news is that all the funds from the sale go to buy a new engine for the Picanto.

Oh, and Birmingham City just got through to the quarter finals of the F.A. Cup!

And whilst this is bad news for my eldest, I'm pleased she didn't get a scholarship at the snotty local private school. I'm glad she passed the entrance exam though...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3461 on: 19 February, 2011, 10:10:18 pm »
Birmingham City inna cup is good news.  They're already through to some other cup final.  I couldn't give a toss if they win or not.  It will be a quiet saturday's cycling in Brum.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3462 on: 20 February, 2011, 03:51:38 pm »
Unless Villa are at home!

The Carling Cup Final's next weekend.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

gordon taylor

« Reply #3463 on: 22 February, 2011, 06:43:03 am »
A few words on Facebook this morning from Christchurch mean the world to us: "We're all OK."

That's from my son and his family, who have a broken house with no power or water. But who cares about that?

Our thoughts are with the families who haven't been so lucky.

David Martin

« Reply #3464 on: 22 February, 2011, 09:06:56 am »
A few words on Facebook this morning from Christchurch mean the world to us: "We're all OK."

That's from my son and his family, who have a broken house with no power or water. But who cares about that?

Same here. Family fine, house slightly damaged. I doubt we'll be hearing from my brother for a bit as he is a registrar in Christchurch hospital and is, shall we say, rather busy.

Not heard from my scientific colleagues out there, nor my post-doc who is on holiday in NZ.

..d

« Reply #3465 on: 22 February, 2011, 09:10:23 am »

Same here. Family fine, house slightly damaged. I doubt we'll be hearing from my brother for a bit as he is a registrar in Christchurch hospital and is, shall we say, rather busy.

Not heard from my scientific colleagues out there, nor my post-doc who is on holiday in NZ.

..d

Good to hear your family members are ok  :thumbsup:

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3466 on: 22 February, 2011, 01:46:26 pm »
Just booked some time off.  By combining the Easter weekend with the Royal Wedding/May Bank Holiday weekend, I get 11 days off but only have to take 3 days of annual leave.   :thumbsup:

Looks as though we'll be off to France.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Si_Co

« Reply #3467 on: 22 February, 2011, 01:51:10 pm »
Just booked some time off.  By combining the Easter weekend with the Royal Wedding/May Bank Holiday weekend, I get 11 days off but only have to take 3 days of annual leave.   :thumbsup:

Yep, both me and the Mrs have done this, and  the schools go back on the Tuesday so thats several family days with some P & Q in the middle :thumbsup:

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #3468 on: 22 February, 2011, 01:52:14 pm »
I just won £880,000 in a lottery that I didn't even know I had entered!
This is fantastic news - has solved all my money woes at a stroke and means I can finally tell the bastards at the office what I think of them!
Brilliant! I am off to celebrate.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3469 on: 22 February, 2011, 02:51:41 pm »
Can I be the first to congratulate you & ask you to accept my imminent begging letter ;D
Seriously :thumbsup:

« Reply #3470 on: 22 February, 2011, 03:26:54 pm »
I just took my bike to W.S. Atkins LBS in Leamington Spa. Not only was the bloke there approachable, he came back with a figure for the work I was asking them to do of about 70% of my estimate. I'm looking forward to riding my newly disc-enabled commuter with lowered gearing on Friday morning, and to having a dynohub with reliable wiring!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3471 on: 22 February, 2011, 03:29:05 pm »
I just took my bike to W.S. Atkins LBS in Leamington Spa. Not only was the bloke there approachable, he came back with a figure for the work I was asking them to do of about 70% of my estimate. I'm looking forward to riding my newly disc-enabled commuter with lowered gearing on Friday morning, and to having a dynohub with reliable wiring!

Is there really a bike shop called W. S. Atkins? Let's hope that their standards are somewhat higher than those of the bunch of sharks posing as civil engineers who rejoice under the same name.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3472 on: 22 February, 2011, 03:37:03 pm »
I think it may actually be John Atkins.   They used to have a second shop in Coventry.   They once sold me a bike with very defective brakes and I nearly went under a black cab.    :(

The Leamington shop is good and I've had many pleasant dealings with them.  the Coventry shop was shite and is now Coventry Cycle Centre.   Still crap though IMO.

« Reply #3473 on: 22 February, 2011, 03:55:24 pm »
Is there really a bike shop called W. S. Atkins? Let's hope that their standards are somewhat higher than those of the bunch of sharks posing as civil engineers who rejoice under the same name.
Don't blame the staff. My sister has been employed by that firm, but she never applied for a job with it. Takeovers & outsourcing . . . . and once you have the job, you have to choose whether to stick with it when the bosses do something you disapprove of.

I was employed by Crapita once, & found myself allied with my colleagues in trying to provide a decent service despite senior management. A customer once told us that he had been told by our management that something he knew was due to decisions taken by them* was due to failings by the staff doing the work, i.e. us, & he & his colleagues had felt they had to defend us.

Sometimes the people on the shop floor are crap just because they're like that, but often they're being crap because of the position they're put in, despite themselves.

*The contract meant that his organisation had sight of many internal Crapita documents relating to how their service was provided.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3474 on: 22 February, 2011, 06:11:20 pm »
I think it may actually be John Atkins.   They used to have a second shop in Coventry.   They once sold me a bike with very defective brakes and I nearly went under a black cab.    :(

The Leamington shop is good and I've had many pleasant dealings with them.  the Coventry shop was shite and is now Coventry Cycle Centre.   Still crap though IMO.

Burger me, it IS John Atkins. I must have slipped back into my civil engineering days at the council!

I'm hoping I can correct the error properly in the reviews section on Friday once I get my mitts on the bike.