Author Topic: Oregon 600 screen issue  (Read 1658 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Oregon 600 screen issue
« on: 27 October, 2020, 09:23:39 am »

That's an out-of-focus photo of my Oregon with a darkened bar across the screen. This has only just appeared.

Is it likely to be screen burn? Does this happen pretty much overnight in an oldish device? I must have bought this at least 6 years ago and it has been used a fair bit.

It's barely visible when the Oregon is switched on and fully lit, but quite obvious when the backlight light dims somewhat.

I suspect the answer is that it's down to age/wear & tear, and that there's no cure. I'm not inclined to go out and part with a few £100s as the problem isn't serious enough.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a portent of problems to come?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Oregon 600 screen issue
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2020, 01:19:41 pm »
Screen burn is a CRT (and IIRC plasma) phenomenon.  LCD pixels can sometimes get a bit sluggish and display an after-image, but should make a full recovery if fed something else for long enough.

Lines on LCDs are usually either a problem with the connection at the edge of the panel (usually there's a magic unidirectionally-conductive elastomer 'zebra strip' physically clamped between the glass and a circuit board that fails due to insufficiently even clampage), or a fault with the panel itself.  I'd assume that since the line is visible when off, it's not a connection problem.  Either way, the solution is probably a replacement screen module.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Oregon 600 screen issue
« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2020, 02:33:23 pm »
Thanks. I'll leave it for as long as it's still visible. At leat it isn't across the centre of the screen.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.