Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 4054915 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #26600 on: 11 June, 2024, 02:47:42 pm »
Hoped to ride a 50k DIY today. Just as well I hadn't actually registered it.
We can't get out of the house due to road re-surfacing.  Usually they allow access for pedestrians pushing a bike.
I asked politely before they started. (and before I got kitted up)

"No, we don't want you to do that. If you get knocked over we will have to stop work....."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26601 on: 11 June, 2024, 03:02:19 pm »
Yeah, that's more or less what they told us during the first lockdown at the beginning of the pandemic: the hospitals only have a limited number of reanimation beds and they're needed for Covid patients.

They let us ride for an hour a day during the second lockdown, and it was actually quite fun to see how far I could get.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26602 on: 14 June, 2024, 10:33:15 am »
Yesterday, a 152k toddle whereof 65 with the motor off. Braindeader than usual today.

« Reply #26603 on: 14 June, 2024, 06:07:09 pm »
Pottered out to Uxbridge decathlon to get a replacement mirror for the tricon gr..all packed and ready for york Rally  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #26604 on: 14 June, 2024, 07:40:15 pm »
Hoped to ride a 50k DIY today.
Well, I managed to do this DIY on Wednesday.
In full winter kit, much the same as the St John's Chapel audax in early April.
Only 52k, but over 1000m of climb.

« Reply #26605 on: 15 June, 2024, 07:40:23 pm »
On my way to york. I left Slough at around 5am this morning and am currently having supper in the Scottish restaurant in Northampton
. Just over 100km at present. After eating I will do a few more km before setting up the bivvi  :)
Slough

« Reply #26606 on: 16 June, 2024, 05:16:01 am »
After a bivi that has proved to be moist I have some somewhat wet kit that I will have to dry later. I am currently sitting under the railway bridge at the start of the Bampton cycle way watching the rain radar and hoping it'll dry up soon  :o

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26607 on: 16 June, 2024, 08:19:11 am »
After a bivi that has proved to be moist I have some somewhat wet kit that I will have to dry later. I am currently sitting under the railway bridge at the start of the Bampton cycle way watching the rain radar and hoping it'll dry up soon  :o

Here's hoping...

« Reply #26608 on: 16 June, 2024, 10:43:17 am »
And I'm stuck 🙃. My bank card has snapped and doesn't work and I have no money available. I have got a liter of water and a few custard cream s .so I'm in market harbourgh and I'm not sure what to do. I suspect that I will dry the bivvi out and try and survive today and go to the bank tomorrow and draw cash. BUGGER

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26609 on: 16 June, 2024, 08:20:49 pm »
Out today with some of The Fridays on a Dr Who ride. We visited a location in London related to each* of the Doctors. This was mostly organised by my Young Lady who is a big Dr Who fan. I plotted the route, she did the research. She also dressed the part: Tom Baker scarf and fedora, Sylvester McCoy tank top,  Matt Smith bow tie, David Tennant unbranded Converse boots. I sported a Panama hat, as worn by several Doctors. 22 km round town, ending up at Russell Square for sustenance. Topped and tailed with 16km each way to and from my sister's place in Kingston.

Pictures? Oh ok.

*No Paul McGann as he filmed in San Francisco,  no Sylvester McCoy as he didn't film in central London.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #26610 on: 16 June, 2024, 08:36:41 pm »
Nice red Pino.  :thumbsup:
Are you wired for sound in that pic?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26611 on: 16 June, 2024, 08:51:22 pm »
I am. The route is on Osmand on my phone. Bluetooth earpiece for the Robot Lady to tell me the way.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #26612 on: 16 June, 2024, 08:58:06 pm »
Modern technology!

« Reply #26613 on: 16 June, 2024, 10:58:51 pm »
First 200 since March, before my 'old man's' op.  Headed west to the Cornish border, without quite crossing it.  Quite a lot of climbing and I'm knackered.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26614 on: 17 June, 2024, 09:52:38 am »
Out today with some of The Fridays on a Dr Who ride. We visited a location in London related to each* of the Doctors. This was mostly organised by my Young Lady who is a big Dr Who fan. I plotted the route, she did the research. She also dressed the part: Tom Baker scarf and fedora, Sylvester McCoy tank top,  Matt Smith bow tie, David Tennant unbranded Converse boots. I sported a Panama hat, as worn by several Doctors. 22 km round town, ending up at Russell Square for sustenance. Topped and tailed with 16km each way to and from my sister's place in Kingston.

Pictures? Oh ok.

*No Paul McGann as he filmed in San Francisco,  no Sylvester McCoy as he didn't film in central London.
Excellent idea.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26615 on: 17 June, 2024, 09:53:07 am »
And I'm stuck 🙃. My bank card has snapped and doesn't work and I have no money available. I have got a liter of water and a few custard cream s .so I'm in market harbourgh and I'm not sure what to do. I suspect that I will dry the bivvi out and try and survive today and go to the bank tomorrow and draw cash. BUGGER
Bugger indeed. Have you got it sorted out now?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #26616 on: 17 June, 2024, 10:36:25 am »
Out in the wind yesterday. Just a short 17km, but first ride this year at over 26kmh. On my heavy old winter bike as the puddles are still huge! Happy with that.

« Reply #26617 on: 17 June, 2024, 03:09:56 pm »
Yes but I am now stopped with a punctured rear and have already broken 1 of my tyre leavers trying to get the tyre off. The mechanic said the tyre was a bit tight fit but I didn't expect that I would be unable  :facepalm:to get it off.. Peter from the york rally committee is kindly on.his way to rescue me. Double BUGGER

« Reply #26618 on: 17 June, 2024, 08:57:50 pm »
A motorist stopped to help and Peter arrived and both got the tyre off and the puncture fixed but the tyre would not go back on. So I am now at peters and a fair way east and will get repaired and continue to york from here  :)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #26619 on: 17 June, 2024, 09:34:56 pm »
A utility cycle this evening,  to and from my local Andy's Man Club.  Only around 15 minutes each way, but much nicer than being stuck in traffic jams for 45 minutes due roadworks

« Reply #26620 on: 18 June, 2024, 06:38:07 pm »
Not bike related but working a night tonight and this morning looked at my to do list, then looked at the wind, just about light enough for a paddle, then looked at tides, absolutely spot on so chucked the kayak on the car and headed to Tollesbury which is a estuary with loads of little islands and perfect for a little explore on the water.

Haven't kayaked in ages so took some getting used to and don't think the little drop down skeg worked although the kayak I got given isn't a sea kayak so fairly short and maneuverable which obviously has downside of not tracking well

Spotted a friend out sailing and then got mildly lost in the maze of little gaps between the little islands but eventually found my way back out and paddled back to the car, added bonus being midweek the parking restrictions didn't apply so could park right by put in

« Reply #26621 on: 18 June, 2024, 07:56:28 pm »
Peter helped me get going again and dropped me off at Newark But lm having a depression attack  :'(and I don't think I can cope camping out as I now have lost my windproof and a warm top .I have ground to a halt at the village of bathley and am currently sitting in a pub and I don't know what to try to do next

« Reply #26622 on: 21 June, 2024, 08:42:06 pm »
Mrs O had a 10 mile ride on the front of the semirecumbersome today - her first time on two wheels since her right lung upper lobectomy nearly a month ago (May 22nd).

The Pino is quite good in the respect of stoker comfort and she is not required to pedal. Today's jaunt was a test run for tomorrow's ride, which starts at the point we rode to today and is a gentle 7 mile circuitous ride. It is described as a "Heritage bike ride" and caters for virtually all abilities.

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26623 on: 22 June, 2024, 10:37:09 am »
Last Thursday: Wanted to do a decent distance, felt bleh on starting. Better after coffee at Mertzwiller, went over Ringeldorf to Hochfelden + piste, got fed up on piste so cut north via Gottesheim & Printzheim to Boux- & Mertzwiller again, thence home.   Never done Gottesheim-Boux road before, fun.

101k only, wanted ~50% more, bah.

Motor counter now reads 16161 km: nice.

« Reply #26624 on: 23 June, 2024, 05:14:12 pm »
A trip to Harrold-Odell Country park in brilliant weather. Circa 40 miles, really enjoyed it.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain