Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2563485 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #21725 on: 15 May, 2024, 09:02:16 pm »
Great weather coming home but marred by three stupid overtakes when there was clearly oncoming traffic. No idea when people do this especially in fancy motors!

Two of them caused the oncoming drivers to get cosy in the hedge and the third turned off to the left about 5 seconds after the overtake ???
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #21726 on: 16 May, 2024, 10:05:48 am »
World record times both to and from work yesterday. I'm doing more riding generally these days and have shifted some weight too, both of which probably help.

On the downside poxy mobile signal drops out part way round so I lose The Today programme/6Music/4 Extra at certain spots.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #21727 on: 17 May, 2024, 04:34:10 pm »
On the way in today got left in the dust by a two man time trial team on the school run. Father and, I would hazard, 12 year old.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #21728 on: 27 May, 2024, 02:25:34 pm »
Coming home last week and the l/h crank arm feels odd. It does because it's loose. Looks like the arm is failing and although itbtightens, it's working loose. Middleburn from years ago on a square taper. Tracked down a nos sugino for 45 pounds otherwise new middleburn arms are £130 and I will have to replace the BB. The spindle may be damaged. Update[ the l/h crank has cracked

« Reply #21729 on: 29 May, 2024, 07:56:55 am »
Nearly knocked off this morning. I went through the green light, to turn right, and was nearly hit by a car approaching form the right. Not sure if they jumped the red, or it had just turned and they didn't have the patience to allow me to clear the junction. Cue much effing and blinding at the top of my voice at ten to seven this morning.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #21730 on: 07 June, 2024, 01:53:20 pm »
On the way home yesterday, just turning onto the "Barracks**" path between Walmgate Stray and Fulford Road in York and there was a "ping" and my forward motion was severely retarded. Turns out the little bracket that held the machine screw that adjusted the spring that held the right-hand front cantilever brake block off the rim had indeed gone "ping!"
Nowt I could do, not having a full set of cantilever brakes in my bag, so I rode slowly home with the blocks adjusted as far off the rim as possible. At least I still had 2 working brakes, even if one of them would only go "on" not "off"  ::-)
Would've posted last night, but I had to have a lie-down after the major expenditure of £20 for a replacement brake! (Well, I am from Yorkshire!  :-D )

**So called, because it runs between Imphal Barracks (Regular Army) and the TA barracks.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21731 on: 10 June, 2024, 07:27:34 pm »
As I actually have a commute this week, I feel like I might have something to write here. But so far, all I can say is, chilly on the way in, cold on the way home.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21732 on: 12 June, 2024, 09:48:48 am »
London commute today after Oxford commute yesterday.  The Oxford commute route is much nicer.  But the legs were better today, surprisingly.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21733 on: 12 June, 2024, 06:26:15 pm »
Today I do have something to report – an unusual compliment. "Love your bottle cages"!!!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21734 on: 19 June, 2024, 08:01:13 pm »
On the way home then other evening I went along a gravel trail I sometimes use. A deer popped out in front of me and ran ahead then jumped into the trees to my left. Made me smile for the rest of the evening.
In the lift at work yesterday morning with a bike and in full cycling kit. Someone gets in the lift and asks are you a cyclist?
And tonight whilst waiting at a junction a pedestrian was repeatedly pressing the crossing button and hitting the button box as if doing that would speed up the sequence

« Reply #21735 on: 19 June, 2024, 08:37:58 pm »
Car at the body repair shop today (don't ask, all my own fault) so I put the bike in the back and rode up to work having dropped the car off, and then home at the end of the day.
A bit weird as I was in training shoes rather than cycling shoes. Although I have the dual purpose pedals, it feels really weird without being clipped in and with flexible soles.
I need to repeat the process in the other direction on Friday.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #21736 on: 20 June, 2024, 09:16:54 am »
Nearly took out a baby weasel on one of the smaller roads - thankfully she turned tail in time and darted back into the undergrowth. An utterly gorgeous ride now the weather has turned.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #21737 on: 01 July, 2024, 11:11:10 am »
Suddenly everyone is Pog.
Not especially helpful or mature

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21738 on: 01 July, 2024, 11:18:02 am »
More like an overheated Cav, me, at least in the thinly disguised wind tunnel round the back of the Banbury Reservoir.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #21739 on: 03 July, 2024, 07:37:12 am »
didn't think I needed to worry about getting wet on the way home.  On the way in saw a young rabbit and then a hare.

« Reply #21740 on: 03 July, 2024, 01:56:18 pm »
Was hoping to get my sandals out this week for first time this year.  But no,  temp was about 10.3C this morning.

Edited to add it was 6.5 coming home in the evening about half 9. 

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #21741 on: 08 July, 2024, 10:22:11 am »
Several hares this morning, perhaps because I rode in on my usual summer homeward route.  Also, it might be that the late and sudden spring meant extra cover and extra growth, so more survived to maturity.  I do like the way they come to a brief stop on their haunches, look around as if to say 'is that all you can do' before setting off at 30mph with ease.

It was cold as far as Chertsey and then suddenly warm.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #21742 on: 09 July, 2024, 11:59:22 am »
It was wet on the way back, just a few spots and light drizzle as far as Chobham but then it started to get heavier.  Forewarned is forearmed, I had a rain jacket in my pannier, but waited until I had got to the top of Red Road before finding a convenient bus shelter to stop and dig it out.  Was just starting to get cold by the time I got home.  The reason I could tell it was July.  Still light at 9pm.

« Reply #21743 on: 11 July, 2024, 10:46:24 am »
Back on the bike today, I took the car in a sulk yesterday because of the utterly torrential rain on Tuesday's commute home. Rode part of the way in with an ex-neighbour, which was nice.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #21744 on: 16 July, 2024, 08:59:43 am »
The forecast yesterday moved from rain during the middle of the day to rain later, to yellow rain warning.  It seems to be a depressing trend this year that when I plan cycle commutes, the weather worsens from the three-day out forecast.  It was wet, but fortunately warm wet, as I only had a lightweight rain jacket which was as much use as a chocolate fireguard, not that anything was going to protect me from the spray from cars - even the courteous drivers are finding it hard to avoid the potholes that send gouts of spray sideways.  Modern tyres are incredibly efficient at removing water from the road and directing it towards cyclists.

« Reply #21745 on: 17 July, 2024, 07:22:45 pm »
Yesterday was rainy wet.  Today was sweaty wet.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #21746 on: 17 July, 2024, 07:30:16 pm »
Today was probably my last ever cycle commute.

« Reply #21747 on: 17 July, 2024, 07:33:18 pm »
Congrats!

« Reply #21748 on: 25 July, 2024, 11:18:10 pm »
Congrats!

I enjoy my commute.  Certainly congrats if it’s a new job or retirement. 

« Reply #21749 on: Yesterday at 10:50:50 am »
Congrats!

I enjoy my commute.  Certainly congrats if it’s a new job or retirement.
Retirement  :thumbsup: And it was my last cycle commute. I have to go in on Wednesday to hand back my pass and so on, but I'll need to take the car for that (CAEK to carry).
I have enjoyed my commuting over the past 21 years. It's been the vast majority of my mileage, certainly for the past ten years or so. I need to work out how and when I am going to get out on the bike from now on.