Author Topic: The Tour de France watershed Spoiler thread  (Read 44525 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
The Tour de France watershed Spoiler thread
« on: 07 July, 2008, 09:28:43 pm »
For discussion of the race before the highlights program is over.

And wasn't today's stage a cracker. Splits in teh bunch, crashes, a chase that never quite made it and the first breakaway win in leTour.

And a french stage winner, and a frenchman in yellow.

Romantic, maybe but I think Prudhomme has put together a masterpiece of a route. It will keep the action all the way to the end.

However, it has reduced considerably the chance of seeing David Millar in yellow after Tuesday's stage, though he does have 6 seconds up on Fabian Cancellara

Vive le tour!
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: The Tour de France watershed Spoiler thread
« Reply #1 on: 07 July, 2008, 09:42:16 pm »
I wasn't sure about the start of the route (no prologue!) but it's played out a treat.  The last mountain stage ending on Alpe d'Huez makes me grin like a kid.  :D

Poor Duclos-Lasalle, eh, crashing out on day one.  :(
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

« Reply #2 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:11:50 pm »
I wasn't sure about the start of the route (no prologue!) but it's played out a treat.  The last mountain stage ending on Alpe d'Huez makes me grin like a kid.  :D

Poor Duclos-Lasalle, eh, crashing out on day one.  :(
Gomez today looked pretty rough. not happy at all.

Cavendish showed that he has a bit to learn about PR skills. A pro rider *is* a representative of his sponsors.

..d

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:20:33 pm »
PR skills!!!?
He sounded more like a spoiled bratty teenager to me.
<bottom lip>"You're all horrible to me and I hate you, I wish you were dead"</bottom lip>
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:21:59 pm »
He won't last long if he carries on like that. Winning stages and being cocky is one thing, losing them and being cocky.... not good.

David Martin

« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:31:43 pm »
He would have done well to watch the 'Science of Lance' program.

"It's not the strongest rider who wins, it's the smartest".

..d

richie_b

« Reply #6 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:46:02 pm »
He won't last long if he carries on like that. Winning stages and being cocky is one thing, losing them and being cocky.... not good.
'Cos Robbie McEwan has done terribly after being an arrogant neo-pro...  :P
You can also see McEwan blaming everyone but himself in interviews today, just like Cavendish normally does.
Headstrong, arrogant sprinters are far from unusual.  I thought the interview was really funny tonight, as was said ^^ kinda like Kevin the pro cyclist.

Back on topic, I was quite disappointed not to see a prologue this year, but it's worked out really well & made for an exciting first week, which is a welcome surprise!
Credit to Prudhomme & ASO for getting it right.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2008, 06:30:05 am »
Cavendish really gets on my wick.  "I'm the hottest property in world cycling", indeed.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

David Martin

« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2008, 07:29:28 am »
Cavendish really gets on my wick.  "I'm the hottest property in world cycling", indeed.

Someone has to point out to him that he has to win a few TdF stages first..

..d

vince

« Reply #9 on: 08 July, 2008, 07:34:52 am »
I could only see the ticker thing on the TdF website, but was routing for the breakaway group to make it. Annoyingly the ticker does not seem to refresh the newsflash automatically and then I had to take a call as I was clicking the refresh button for the sprint at the end. ITV4 won't show highlights on watch again until today, so I'll have to wait.

Today will be duller if I just have to read the times as they come through. Any favourites?

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #10 on: 08 July, 2008, 07:37:09 am »
Cancellara and voight

« Reply #11 on: 08 July, 2008, 08:52:31 am »
What a finish yesterday! Well done ASO for inviting Agributel as they have been quite visible so far. The beginning of this year's race has been great so far and I feel the timing of the TT is perfect too. Can't wait to watch the recording of the summary program whne I get home tonight.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

David Martin

« Reply #12 on: 08 July, 2008, 10:02:07 am »
Cancellara and voight

Millar to do well. Cancellara to take yellow. Cavendish to be Kevin the sprinter.

After today the top five will be Cancellara, Millar, Evans, Valverde and Sastre but not necessarily in that order.

..d

bikenerd

« Reply #13 on: 08 July, 2008, 10:07:49 am »
We call Cavendish "Whiner" in our house!  :)

Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed the mixing up of the style of the Tour route this year.  No prologue and rolling hills for the first few days coupled with no sprint time bonuses has turned the usually boring first week into something worth watching.

We even spotted Cadel Evans doing some work at the front of the bunch yesterday!  :o

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 08 July, 2008, 11:57:38 am »
And wasn't today's stage a cracker. Splits in teh bunch, crashes, a chase that never quite made it and the first breakaway win in leTour.

And a french stage winner, and a frenchman in yellow.

Magnifique!

I was really pleased for today's Maillot Jaune. He did the right thing - put his head down and rode like mad to get them to the finish, rather than worry about winning the stage.
And then in the last km the cheeky bugger went for a long one when the other two were snoozing and nearly pulled it off - chapeau!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

audaxer

« Reply #15 on: 08 July, 2008, 04:25:21 pm »
Cavendish yesterday: "I don't have anything more to learn"

Cavendish today: 143rd in the TT.

*snigger*  :)

« Reply #16 on: 08 July, 2008, 05:12:27 pm »
Cavendish = bunch sprinter = nothing to gain in time trial as long as you're not eliminated

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 09 July, 2008, 06:30:12 am »
Cavendish will never win the Tour if he can't TT.  Green jersey, maybe, but he's not impressed me so far.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #18 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:41:43 am »
Another exciting day yesterday. And what a surprise! I kept thinking Schumacher would blow up; his face was rather expressive; but he hung on. The only issue is the half baked explanation ITV4 attempted to provide on a failed test Schumacher recently had: I am none the wiser on what happened because Schumacher's English was not clear, nor were ITV4's comments. Beautiful machines in display all round today too.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 09 July, 2008, 09:40:06 am »
Cavendish yesterday: "I don't have anything more to learn"

Cavendish today: 143rd in the TT.

*snigger*  :)
143rd, and ahead of the yellow jersey, who clearly DID have everything to gain from a good ride.

(I also suspect Cav received a quick "brush up" of his PR skills before this stage.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:05:08 am »
The only issue is the half baked explanation ITV4 attempted to provide on a failed test Schumacher recently had: I am none the wiser on what happened because Schumacher's English was not clear, nor were ITV4's comments.
I think they were saying that he got lifted by the polis for drink driving on a night out. When he gave a blood sample to said constabulary they found, in his words, a "substance" and according to ITV4 , amphetamines.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #21 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:08:20 am »
Sounds like he was foolishly out on a speed and booze jag and got caught. Probably not for performance enhancing reasons just recreational. The speed and booze combo has never helped anyones performance. Especially the day after.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

alchemy

« Reply #22 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:08:39 am »
Beautiful machines in display all round today too.

I remember seeing a couple of the TT bikes at the London bike show back in 2006 and thinking that they really were the cycling equivalent of F1 cars. Very bling  :thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: 09 July, 2008, 11:08:51 am »
Beautiful machines in display all round today too.

I remember seeing a couple of the TT bikes at the London bike show back in 2006 and thinking that they really were the cycling equivalent of F1 cars. Very bling  :thumbsup:

I suddendly felt my beloved fixed TT machine to me terribly dated... These bikes look like total airfoils.

« Reply #24 on: 09 July, 2008, 11:43:32 am »
Did you notice the width/depth of Cancellera's handlebars  :o