Author Topic: Cycling in Madeira  (Read 2252 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Cycling in Madeira
« on: 17 August, 2022, 10:36:35 pm »
Took the Airnimal on a trip to Madeira, with the idea of having a couple of short rides whilst on holiday.  Having seen the terrain first hand, decided to combine the two routes, resulting in a 75km ride with 3000m (yes, 3000m ascent).  The climb to Pico Areiro from the north was sensational.  There was a lot of new tarmac which made for great descending.  I will be going back.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Re: Cycling in Madeira
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2022, 09:16:38 pm »
Sounds fantastic, any pictures?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2022, 12:38:49 pm »
been to Madeira 5 times, the first time we booked to take bikes but after checking the amount of climbing out of Funchal decided against it  :-[ I now just stick to walking (levadas and the 3 peaks route)

I did hire a MTB a couple of years ago, the locals all get the bus up to Poiso which is where the Arriero road turns off and take their bikes out of the luggage hold, driver is fine with this  :thumbsup:

From there it's an OK ride up to the summit then about 1/3 of the way back down is a tremendous singletrack route back to below Poiso where a hard grind back up to another MTB track of sorts which eventually brings you to the roads at the top of Funchal (essentially 90% of the inhabited area pf the whole island is on the slopes up from the city centre) from where it's a thundering downhill to the Beerhouse (brewery and tuna to die for!)

you can't ride along the levadas they are barely wide enough for 2 people to pass on foot with guard rails along all the hairy bits also lots of tunnels with a 18" wide walkway

Going back in a month, dirt cheap that time of year and still really warm  8)

The climb to Pico Areiro from the north was sensational. 

from Ribiero Frio?  :o even the bus struggles to find a low enough gear, but agree the view up to the Pico Ruivo etc is superb. If you only do one levada do the very short 1km one from Ribiero Frio to the balcony viewpoint, 100s of metres above the valley floor and 100s below the highest point.

« Reply #3 on: 16 November, 2022, 09:13:37 am »
I took my bike the first time but not again. Too steep to be fun going up or down.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2023, 07:08:59 pm »
Have booked a trip back, in the second half of July, for some chilling before PBP.  Do have a 100 mile route planned though.  Only 6000m ascent.  11 hours should do it.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2023, 10:28:17 pm »
We rented bikes for the day and we’ve got to concur with the above. It’s impossible to go very far without encountering long stretches of 20% up or 20% down, and neither is fun for cycling, even if you enjoy climbs and descents.

Plus every road stinks of knackered old diesel engines.

Stick to hiking.