Author Topic: Essex / Herts route advice  (Read 1521 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Essex / Herts route advice
« on: 11 April, 2023, 09:21:12 am »
I was planning to complete my cathedrals challenge from Chelmsford on the next Bank Holiday but no trains so thought I could start from Billericay where I left off last time,

this is the proposed route, is it a good idea to re-route from Billericay and if so which is the best route? I need to go to Hatfield

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42349847

Thanks in advance

Re: Essex / Herts route advice
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2023, 09:59:27 am »
I notice you head straight down the A1060 from Chelmsford. There are far more pleasant roads than this! From the cathedral, I'd head straight into Central Park and follow the NCN1. This would take you all the way to and through Harlow on nice country lanes.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2023, 02:29:42 pm »
I think I already posted a route for Billericay in your other thread? Cycle route 13 out as far as Stock, then, where it would differ from the other route, you can use lanes to come in the back of Chelmsford through Galleywood (Galleyend) then through Moulsham to the Cathedral.

Outbound, unless audax o'clock, as Bobb mentioned, I'd give the A road a miss and head via NCN1 which you could follow all the way to Ware if you fancied it, or short circuit a bit with some lanes along the way. 
Regards,

Joergen

GdS

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2023, 03:01:43 pm »
Thanks;  I've already been to Chelmsford and unlikely it will be open when I'm planning to start so was thinking of riding direct from Billericay to Hertford

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2023, 04:00:06 pm »
Thanks;  I've already been to Chelmsford and unlikely it will be open when I'm planning to start so was thinking of riding direct from Billericay to Hertford
Billercay straight N to Heybridge, Blackmore, Norton Heath, onto NCN1  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2023, 04:34:41 pm »
And Norton heath cafe is good for a speedy but not spendy breakfast! Open from quite early on weekdays

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2023, 05:10:52 pm »
Billercay straight N to Heybridge, Blackmore, Norton Heath, onto NCN1  :thumbsup:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42496992

There's a bit of comedy off road across the old airfield at Willingale that saves a handful of km - see poi in attached for details.

Regards,

Joergen

GdS

« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2023, 07:06:33 pm »

There's a bit of comedy off road across the old airfield at Willingale that saves a handful of km - see poi in attached for details.

Thanks  :thumbsup: a bit of comedy is certainly in order for the last day given some of the places the "official" route tried to take me

« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2023, 07:31:26 pm »
You’ll be on the Cole Green Way from Hertford to the 60km mark. The first part is tarmac then fine gravel. All rideable and traffic free. My Hertfordshire Greenways audax uses that as one of the four main greenways it traverses. At that point the latest ride with GPS route above dumps you on the A414 dual carriageway.  Not a local road I’d ride on, takes a lot of fast traffic between A10 and A1.  You then pick up the Alban Way in Hatfield to St Albans. Another greenway, but tarmaced full length.

When next at PC I can update that section to link the two together. My Hertfordshire Greenways audax links those greenways together, thus I can just insert the relevant bit of route into your route.

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2023, 07:39:03 pm »
Oh and route 61 between Ware and Hertford is alongside a river in meadows and quite pleasant if you don’t mind more fine gravel.  The road your route is on there (at the moment) is fine, if a little busy at times.  Your route also goes past Hertford castle, which will be in your right.

GdS

« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2023, 12:13:53 pm »

how did you edit the route, on RWG? I find the only way is to unpick the route but you have to start from the finish  ???

« Reply #11 on: 12 April, 2023, 12:32:48 pm »
how did you edit the route, on RWG? I find the only way is to unpick the route but you have to start from the finish  ???

Add a control point before the bit you want to amend, and possible after as well if you want to avoid changing the end bits of the ride. Then just drag the route to where you would like it to be. Only the routing between the control points will change.

Changing the map type will impact how it routes the ride. I tend to stick with 'Map' for road rides, but switch to one of the OSM options if I want something involving off-road sections.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

GdS

« Reply #12 on: 12 April, 2023, 12:54:34 pm »
Thanks never knew that  :thumbsup: