Author Topic: Rushbrooke camping site Suffolk  (Read 3907 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Rushbrooke camping site Suffolk
« Reply #25 on: 05 September, 2023, 10:47:42 pm »
Wivenhoe-without-Punctures. Pretty little place...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #26 on: 05 September, 2023, 10:49:18 pm »
Thanks canardly, today was a repeat of Saturdays ride to Wivenhoe without punctures  :). We Had another look around Colchester and had lunch there before heading down the cycleway to Wivenhoe where we watched sailing boats sailing up the channel by wind alone. On the way back up the cycleway apollo found a shadey spot to watch for trains running along the Colchester to harwich line for around 2 hours  :o. Definitely a train watcher though rather than a train spotter as he didn't note down the numbers  :). Then we rode back to the campsite via west Bergholt and Hockley heath  :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uWMQQrV1BsouNumn9

May I be a pedant and point out that if you were at Wivenhoe, along the cycle path between there and Colchester, those trains are heading for Walton or Clacton. The Harwich trains leave Manningtree rather than Colchester.

« Reply #27 on: 06 September, 2023, 07:27:29 am »
Thanks Kim,I should have checked the map before posting  ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #28 on: 06 September, 2023, 10:14:45 pm »
The last day for riding today  :'(.  We set out through Bures and followed the lane's via lamarsh twinstead and,Wickham St Paul to Castle Hedingham. We Had lunch there in a cafe then went to look at the castle but it was closed. So we rode back to sudbury. I made the mistake of following google cycle routing which sent us down a bridleway which turned into a footpath with stiles and kissing gates. We got through after about a hours effort. We stopped at aldi for supplies then after a couple of miles along the b road to Bures we turned up into the hills and followed lanes back to the campsite. The route even had a little ford  :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/59BFpr3p8rHfXs749

« Reply #29 on: 07 September, 2023, 07:21:30 pm »
Yesterday's ride was out to Castle Hedingham via Bures  lamarsh twinstead and Wickham St Paul. We found a cafe for lunch then went to look at the castle which was closed. So we headed back to sudbury and I made the mistake of following google cycle routing which sent us down a bridleway which turned into a footpath with stiles and kissing gates. We eventually got to sudbury and bought some supplies from aldi for supper and tomorrow's breakfast. We then rode to little Cornard and used a bridleway which took us to a series of lane's which after passing a couple of radio masts also crossed a ford's. We got back to the tent just after sunset 🌇..

Today we packed up and are now back after a fun few days  :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Kk1dF9dez9onV5r7

« Reply #30 on: 07 September, 2023, 09:34:07 pm »
You had some of the best weather of the summer which makes for a very nice change. The last time we toured in Norfolk at this time of year we were somewhat like drowned rats. I now hold a personal record  for nursing a mug of tea for the longest time in Norwich cathedral. You will also recall that Mildenhall used to save its annual rain fall  for the rally week end at the end of August.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #31 on: 07 September, 2023, 11:56:58 pm »
To be fair, Bob, we only had the one day of rain and we managed it very effectively I thought. I do find it alarming that that was two years ago.

« Reply #32 on: 08 September, 2023, 08:55:13 am »
My memories of Mildenhall are very different to Bobs. For the 18 times I went to the rally I can only recall 2 very wet days, on the whole the weekend attracted very dry weather.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #33 on: 08 September, 2023, 10:05:43 am »
Your experience is much wider than mine Alan. However, In the more recent past I remember one year standing with several of this place under the bike sheds roof watching a 2ft  high vertical water fountain from the school playground drains and on the last occasion I cycled there,  the exit roads (on my route home) were blocked due to raw sewage flowing down the street as a result of torrential rain. The rain continued until I arrived at home some hours later and by which time I was wetter than a wet thing. I do however miss the Mildenhall Rally as the atmosphere/event/company was wonderful.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 08 September, 2023, 11:41:03 am »
My recollection of Mildenhall was usually decent weather, with a compulsory downpour at some point over the weekend, that was only a problem if you were out of diving-for-cover range when it happened, or if you'd parked your motor vehicle in the muddy field (on that occasion I'd had the foresight to bring a van, which was able to escape the mudbath under its own power through a combination of third gear, luck and ground clearance).  I distinctly recall barakta discovering what heavy rain sounds like on a small tent one year.

Since the demise of the Mildennhall Rally, the BHPC have continued the end-of-August tradition by organising an event at Darley Moor, a location which is never in short supply of Weather.  (This year it was so wet on the Saturday night that the venue man unlocked the training centre free of charge so the campers would have somewhere dry to sit.)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #35 on: 08 September, 2023, 05:07:41 pm »
There was one Mildenhall rally in which the rain in Saarfend greatly exceeded any in Mildenhall. Due to computer glitches etc, I'm sorry to say that my weather records of the time are lost, but I suspect that if I were to find my posts on here for August 2013, I would have reported that over 60mm rain fell onto my weather station in about 2 hours. That was the storm in which the manhole cover in the main road outside our hose was struck by lightning. Jan and I had come on the tandem and had cycled each way between Marks Tey and Mildenhall.

Edit: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=30096.msg1549757#msg1549757 refers.