Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 940510 times)

ian

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8975 on: 08 June, 2020, 09:30:35 pm »
I thought the battle scene wasn't overlong – I'd normally share your boredom, I think I died during LoTR then I realised that I'd not been so lucky, I was resurrected and it was still happening. They packed it in quite tight without needed to make it half-a-movie long.

They'd boxed themselves in with the time travel, but that was always going to happen post Dr Strange.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8976 on: 08 June, 2020, 10:37:06 pm »
True, at least the battle scene wasn't too drawn out.

Rounded it off with Spider-Man: Far From Home tonight. Another good one. I like the whole "fake news" thing. Satire, innit.

Now the wait for Black Widow to be released, whenever that may be...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #8977 on: 10 June, 2020, 10:36:58 pm »
1917. Very good indeed.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8978 on: 11 June, 2020, 08:02:11 am »
Vertigo.  Saw this soon after it came out, but being 11 at the time I couldn't make much of it.  It's aged pretty well, considering.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8979 on: 11 June, 2020, 03:55:58 pm »
Dating Amber on Prime. Funny, feel good.   A gay guy and lesbian girl date each other to escape the hassle in school.  Some very funny scenes in school.  Like an adult Gregorys Girl in many ways.

Edit : Had to rewatch with the Mrs as she missed the ending. I forgot to mention that theres quite a few nice bike based scenes.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8980 on: 14 June, 2020, 07:39:09 am »
Vertigo.  Saw this soon after it came out, but being 11 at the time I couldn't make much of it.  It's aged pretty well, considering.

DEfinitely, I'd argue that most of those Hitchcock classics have aged well.  Rope is another good one.

Watched Birdman last night, I can see exactly why it had the oscar nominations, and can't think of a better film I've seen recently. 

For all the hype over 1917, I though the plot fairly dull and couldn't really relate to the two characters, in that respect it was much like one of the old Fighting Fantasy books - which choice will you make, shell hole to the left, or the dark forbidding tunnel?  It was only really the cinematography that saved it for me.  Maybe we've all just had too much of the upping of the horrors of war from Saving Pvt Ryan, to Hacksaw Ridge and now this.

Birdman by contrast was far more engaging, far more depth of character and more to empathise with and get your teeth into.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8981 on: 14 June, 2020, 09:02:38 am »

DEfinitely, I'd argue that most of those Hitchcock classics have aged well.  Rope is another good one.

Watched Birdman last night, I can see exactly why it had the oscar nominations, and can't think of a better film I've seen recently. 

For all the hype over 1917, I though the plot fairly dull and couldn't really relate to the two characters, in that respect it was much like one of the old Fighting Fantasy books - which choice will you make, shell hole to the left, or the dark forbidding tunnel?  It was only really the cinematography that saved it for me.  Maybe we've all just had too much of the upping of the horrors of war from Saving Pvt Ryan, to Hacksaw Ridge and now this.

Birdman by contrast was far more engaging, far more depth of character and more to empathise with and get your teeth into.

Haven't seen 1917 and am not bothered about seeing it. Agree completely about Birdman, it's delightful.  I find you can enjoy it just as much the 3rd or 4th time round, too, a bit like music.

It reminded me of a book called The Flying Yorkshireman that I read years ago.  Must have a look for it.

« Reply #8982 on: 20 June, 2020, 08:04:32 pm »
Silver Linings.  I thought this was excellent. A rom-com with Bradley Cooper (who was really good surprisingly) and Jenifer Lawrence

« Reply #8983 on: 20 June, 2020, 08:11:51 pm »
Tehran Taboo a “rotoscoped” animation - to give the actors some protection - set in Tehran in the time of Khomeini. Some moments of humour, but ultimately rather bleak. See also Waltzing with Bashir.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #8984 on: 22 June, 2020, 02:01:01 pm »
Paddington 2. Also good fun.

« Reply #8985 on: 22 June, 2020, 08:24:52 pm »
We watched St Trinians (the remake) last week. Not sure they could get away with some of the jokes now, but good fun.

« Reply #8986 on: 28 June, 2020, 06:35:53 am »
Gemini Man. It's quite bad. Ang Lee has fallen far.

fuzzy

« Reply #8987 on: 28 June, 2020, 04:01:50 pm »
Jay and Silent Bob reeboot. Nowhere near as awful as it should have been ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8988 on: 28 June, 2020, 11:11:39 pm »
Dating Amber (2020)

A bittersweet Irish version of Get Real, with "Fish are nature's pot noodles" instead of "We've got to get back to Basingstoke!"

Contains pretty much every being-a-teenager-in-the-90s trope going.  Teenagers: This is exactly what it was like, and I suggest you continue your historical research with the 1980s documentary Kung Fury.

I was particularly impressed with the blank-faced disappointed mother.  Sadly, they're less accepting in real life.

May contain CDCs or traces of CDCs.

(click to show/hide)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8989 on: 30 June, 2020, 08:14:39 pm »
Dating Amber (2020)

A bittersweet Irish version of Get Real, with "Fish are nature's pot noodles" instead of "We've got to get back to Basingstoke!"

Contains pretty much every being-a-teenager-in-the-90s trope going.  Teenagers: This is exactly what it was like, and I suggest you continue your historical research with the 1980s documentary Kung Fury.

I was particularly impressed with the blank-faced disappointed mother.  Sadly, they're less accepting in real life.

May contain CDCs or traces of CDCs.

(click to show/hide)
Wow. My preferred mainstream film reviewers really rate this - so if Kim also likes it, we may have a winner here ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8990 on: 30 June, 2020, 08:52:35 pm »
There's also a bike in it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8991 on: 01 July, 2020, 08:29:22 am »
My preferred mainstream film reviewers

Not Peter Bradshaw then? He wasn’t a fan. Called it “derivative”.

Which is a bit like complaining that Sunshine On Leith has too many Proclaimers songs.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #8992 on: 01 July, 2020, 09:15:31 am »
Jojo Rabbit . So dark and so funny.

Second World War satire with some wonderful young actors and Scarlett Johansson wearing great shoes.
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8993 on: 01 July, 2020, 10:59:47 am »
Paul. Could watch it again tonight, too.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8994 on: 04 July, 2020, 08:02:48 am »
Last week Trumbo, I thought I was great in that the subversive activity only started after the blacklisting for the non-existant subversive activity. Wife didn't like it as she didn't understand the historical context

This week, Passengers, loved the premise and the final ambiguity, could have easily dwindled away to nothingness but managed to hold on, just.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8995 on: 04 July, 2020, 08:36:53 am »
Paul. Could watch it again tonight, too.

And we did.

« Reply #8996 on: 04 July, 2020, 08:49:57 am »
Parasite.

Very  very good.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8997 on: 04 July, 2020, 10:59:27 am »
It's telling that when you google parasite you immediately get a page of links to the film and not a thing about liver fluke, tape-worm, filariasis, Madura foot, Cummings, etc.  Oh, one forlorn link about Floridian water-snakes.  Google is shit these days.

« Reply #8998 on: 04 July, 2020, 03:04:09 pm »
The Double Life of Veronique. It's been ages since I watched this and I enjoyed it muchly. Irene Jacob plays both roles well and adds gravitas to the whole film. OTOH, I don't think it stands up to comparison with the Three Colours Films, but I'm about to find that out by watching those again.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

ian

« Reply #8999 on: 04 July, 2020, 09:25:48 pm »
Super Eruption. Engagingly and compellingly awful.