Author Topic: IOW Randonnee 100km 6.5.12  (Read 2525 times)

Martin

IOW Randonnee 100km 6.5.12
« on: 03 May, 2012, 11:02:26 pm »
this normally belongs in Rides and Touring but as it's now available as a DIY by GPS earning (just) 1.5AAA and also a GdS qualifier and there's no mention in R&T I'll start a thread here;

I'll be getting the ferry across to Ryde for a late-ish (10.30?) Bembridge start; it's the easy clockwise direction this year

anyone else?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: IOW Randonnee 100km 6.5.12
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2012, 08:24:31 am »
I think POstie and no doubt Portsmouth CTC will be attending.

H

« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2012, 09:01:19 am »
Thanks Martin for letting everybody know about this DIY. I know we had some interesting discussions last year when I did it this way...  ;D

Give a wave to me as you pass (I'll be out on the dark blue recumbent trike again).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2012, 09:11:25 am »
Not this year. I think I am destined only ever to do this ride anti-clockwise.

Good to hear it can get AAA points though, thanks Martin!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2012, 12:54:47 pm »
DIY by GPS entry sent !

That's me committed to a faster time than last year (9h 10mins - with junior stoker on tandem)

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2012, 04:00:35 pm »
I'll  be there - hopefully from Wooton at 9:00-ish

How do you apply for the DIY by GPS as I've always wanted to do one of those?
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2012, 04:13:09 pm »
How do you apply for the DIY by GPS as I've always wanted to do one of those?

http://www.aukweb.net/diy/gps/
The grid references for the form are half way down this page http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/index.php?page=details

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #7 on: 04 May, 2012, 04:55:10 pm »
Great - where do I find the distances for each control?

Do I  need to contain the organiser to ask permission before submitting the form?
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #8 on: 04 May, 2012, 05:20:41 pm »
Great - where do I find the distances for each control?

Do I  need to contain the organiser to ask permission before submitting the form?

I think the audax "standard" is to use Googlemaps set to walking, so as to get the minimum distance between each control.
However when I did that it came to about 92 km - whereas the actual signed route is 104 km.
Whether it can therefore count as a 100km for DIY purpose is therefore a rather interesting question, to which I do not know the answer.   

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #9 on: 04 May, 2012, 05:39:58 pm »
I'm sure I'm missing something here but I thought the idea behind DIY by GPS is that you say when/where you are going and submit a GPS track for the preselected distance or more after you've done it.

(has sinking feeling he might be opening can of worms)

Could I ask what distances you put on your form for each of the controls?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2012, 05:46:51 pm »
You agree the distance before hand, the GPS track simply confirms that you did at least the agreed distance.

My GPS track from last year shows 69.58 miles, but I started off-route in Seaview and also took a detour for tea and cake with a friend at Niton. Probably not 7 miles of detour though.
It is simpler than it looks.

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2012, 08:45:21 pm »
I'm starting from Ryde; starting the official route at Bembridge and visiting all the controls back to Bembridge makes it just over 100km. For anyone else who is overdistance I can slice the relevant 100km AAA eligible section from the track

Could I ask what distances you put on your form for each of the controls?

no need  :)

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #12 on: 04 May, 2012, 09:37:04 pm »
Thanks  - I'll start my GPS when I  get off the Fishbourne ferry and by the time I've been around the island and visited the pub that should be at least 100k. I'm looking forward to this. I recall the route being rolling but I never realised  I  could earn an AAA point - never had one of those before O:-)

I've sent my DIY entry and bought a virtual brevet from you so am I  now good to go and just need to remember to start the GPS on Sunday, stop it at the end and email you the .gpx file when I  get home?