Author Topic: Rabbit stew  (Read 3024 times)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
Rabbit stew
« on: 18 August, 2010, 11:17:56 pm »
Just cooked eaten a rabbit stew with stock, fresh creme and veg.
I was impressed so not eating chicken anymore. It's rabbit rabbit rabbit.

Re: Rabbit stew
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2010, 06:27:13 pm »
Just don't buy it from supermarkets make sure you get it from a butcher who gets it from a game dealer or get it directly from someone who shoots.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2010, 06:39:08 pm »
This used to be a regular evening meal at Uni for my housefull of six lads.

Highly recommended. Rabbit bought from the butcher in Beeston High Street.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2010, 09:25:41 am »
Now that Sainsbury no longer sell rabbit I REFUSE to pay £7 for a couple of rabbit bits, most butchers round here don't carry bun.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #4 on: 20 August, 2010, 09:44:58 am »
I got 1  1/2 lb  of rabbit  or 1 medium size rabbit for £5 at my local English butchers on the market.
Frozen, though skinned and gutted. OK I thought, ' so I asked the question where the rabbit came from ? His reply was "warrington and there farmed". I'm thinking farmed rabbit ? that's something I've never heard of before.
Anyway on my return to removing the cellophane packaging after the defrost I noticed a small sticker that read  'China'
Chinese rabbit !. What next ?. Us English can't even get rabbits to market. Sad.
I think I need a new butcher.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2010, 09:49:10 am »
I got 1  1/2 lb  of rabbit  or 1 medium size rabbit for £5 at my local English butchers on the market.
Frozen, though skinned and gutted. OK I thought, ' so I asked the question where the rabbit came from ? His reply was "warrington and there farmed". I'm thinking farmed rabbit ? that's something I've never heard of before.
Anyway on my return to removing the cellophane packaging after the defrost I noticed a small sticker that read  'China'
Chinese rabbit !. What next ?. Us English can't even get rabbits to market. Sad.

They keep them like chickens in France. So not that unusual. In the UK, there's so many of 'em wild that back garden raising seems a bit pointless.

« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2010, 09:56:24 am »
We are lucky in that we have a proper butchers / game  dealer. You can get anything from rabbit to woodcock.  It's all hung up outside the shop in the traditional manner. Alternatively if you know who to ask a couple of quid down the pub gets you what you want :)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2010, 10:01:21 am »
Wow. Them kind of butchers moved on years ago round here. I could go to the other side of Manchester and pay the premium I suppose or get something in the Peak District.
We are lucky in that we have a proper butchers / game  dealer. You can get anything from rabbit to woodcock.  It's all hung up outside the shop in the traditional manner. Alternatively if you know who to ask a couple of quid down the pub gets you what you want :)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2010, 10:02:13 am »
In my old village, there's a shady character, known only as "Rabbit", who supplies all known forms of edible wildlife on a strictly cash basis.

« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2010, 10:10:21 am »
Wow. Them kind of butchers moved on years ago round here.

We are lucky as in Malton/Norton (twin conjoined market towns) we have two. The other one doesn't do game though, his speciality is beef and lamb with a big chalkboard displaying exactly which farm the meat he is selling at the moment comes from. He also makes very good black pudding and his own bacon.

York used to have several butchers of this quality too but they all closed down. Helmsley has two good butchers as well though if you are ever passing through there.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 20 August, 2010, 11:07:43 am »

It's been thus since forever.  I have not seen bunrab in a horriblemarket for the best part of thirty of the BRITONS' years but even then it was coming from China and tasting of cardboard.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11 on: 20 August, 2010, 03:39:07 pm »

That's one of those 'appropriate name for the job' places, innit? ;D
Working my way up to inferior.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #12 on: 20 August, 2010, 04:38:19 pm »
The woman next door breeds rabbits for "show".
She's just gone away for ten days :demon: ;D

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #13 on: 20 August, 2010, 07:53:06 pm »
Ha ha. My best friend is a rabbit lover. may invite her round for dinner one day ?
Anyway I'm off to eat my dinnner and it's chinese rabbit stew lol.
It goes a long way a rabbit when your on your own  :( bye
The woman next door breeds rabbits for "show".
She's just gone away for ten days :demon: ;D

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #14 on: 22 August, 2010, 01:46:54 am »
Wow. Them kind of butchers moved on years ago round here.

We are lucky as in Malton/Norton (twin conjoined market towns) we have two. The other one doesn't do game though, his speciality is beef and lamb with a big chalkboard displaying exactly which farm the meat he is selling at the moment comes from. He also makes very good black pudding and his own bacon.

York used to have several butchers of this quality too but they all closed down. Helmsley has two good butchers as well though if you are ever passing through there.

Been to the helmsley one a few times and only thought there was one in the corner by the square.

« Reply #15 on: 22 August, 2010, 01:22:01 pm »
The Deli in the other corner on the same side of the square used to double as a butchers as well. It might not now. Sleights has an ace butchers too.

« Reply #16 on: 22 August, 2010, 01:24:11 pm »
If your in Malton then the other good butcher isn't actually in Malton it's in Norton -
W Fletcher & Sons on the main street.

« Reply #17 on: 30 August, 2010, 11:54:24 am »

Probably.
Some local butchers in Milton Keynes will buy locally hunted wild rabbits and sell them on.
I'm more tempted to cut out the middle men and bag some roadkill for some free organic meat.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #18 on: 30 August, 2010, 12:01:17 pm »
Ive thought about bagging a road kill many a time on an Audax although my carradice pannier bag may get completely ruined ?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #19 on: 31 August, 2010, 07:35:28 am »
See, another reason Ortleib wins.  Wipe-down.   :thumbsup:

(or a stiff carrier bag without holes: when I'm in a roadkill-harvesting mood I'll carry a little scavenging pack with a sturdy bag and some disposable gloves; roadkill numbers peak when dusk and dawn coincide with the rush hour)

My dear old dad used to breed fancy rabbits, back in the 70s.  The ones that got rosettes in show got to breed; the ones that didn't went in the pot. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #20 on: 31 August, 2010, 07:41:14 am »
I've only had rabbit once and I wasn't very impressed. It was from Sainsbury's though, so that might explain it.

Next time I'm in a country pub I shall look out for any local, wild, hoppy stuff on the menu....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #21 on: 07 September, 2010, 10:42:06 am »
The Rainbow at Middle Assendon (NW of Henley) used to serve rabbit pie frequently.The publican reckoned he shot his own, combining the protection of his lettuces with making pie filling.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #22 on: 07 September, 2010, 02:11:05 pm »
Some local butchers in Milton Keynes will buy locally hunted wild rabbits and sell them on.
I'm more tempted to cut out the middle men and bag some roadkill for some free organic meat.

Our local butcher in Brighton will, if someone's got some some at the weekend. So its a pop in and see affair.
I've tried chasing them on the mountain bike, but I'm just not fast enough.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #23 on: 07 September, 2010, 02:44:21 pm »
I bet you can't bunny-hop as good as bright-eyes either ;D