Author Topic: Off-road [-ish] Weekend in Norfolk  (Read 20899 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Off-road [-ish] Weekend in Norfolk
« Reply #125 on: 08 October, 2010, 10:19:41 pm »
I also have bacon and a morsel of bread for Sun a.m.  Bacon butty stall, here we come :)

I've got my train ticket outwards too. (haven't bothered sorting out return yet since I haven't thought that far ahead).

I've nearly finished packing...  just deciding how much clothing to bring (or not).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #126 on: 08 October, 2010, 11:39:56 pm »
packed now... except for my jiffy-bagged bacon and my marmite butties.

(was actually packed a while back but digikam seems to be misbehaving tonight and I've had to muck about to get the pic up here)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #127 on: 09 October, 2010, 07:05:08 am »
Right - I'm off to the station.

See you later.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Off road
« Reply #128 on: 09 October, 2010, 08:51:47 am »
*quietly hums hippopotamus song*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Off road
« Reply #129 on: 09 October, 2010, 08:56:41 am »
Have a marvellous time!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #130 on: 10 October, 2010, 03:15:36 pm »
Me un Oaky just left Norwich on the train. 25 hilly, head windy miles from the site to Sherringham. 74 miles yesterday with alot of offroad. Arrived at the site after dark and I for one was absolutely knackered!

« Reply #131 on: 10 October, 2010, 06:14:44 pm »
Was the jiffy bacon bag so you can post home the left overs?

Look forward to BEERS with you all and hearing the stories  :thumbsup:

chief

PS - I cleared an area on the floor of beer cans and bottles for a sleeping bag went to bed at gone 3am this morning,  fear my partying*  ;D

* though I'm going to have an early night tonight

Oscar's dad

« Reply #132 on: 10 October, 2010, 08:03:53 pm »
I'm home in the bosom of my wife!  Tomorrow night we're having omelette for tea (something I was craving all weekend but never managed to find)  And I have sore nipples with nasty red bits on the tips - ouchy.  :-X

More words and pictures when I'm back at work tomorrow  ;D

« Reply #133 on: 10 October, 2010, 10:01:24 pm »
TMI  :facepalm:

« Reply #134 on: 10 October, 2010, 10:23:11 pm »
Well, that Peddars Way was quite hard work due to various surfaces to the trail. From slippy sand to wheel-spinny muddy grass - the most tiring was the long stretches bumpy grass that always seemed to be uphill.

The four of us had a great time, getting to the end of the Peddars Way by dusk and to the campsite in time to get pitched, showered and to the White Horse pub just in time for the last serving of food. I had hoped we would ride to the Jolly Sailors pub as that would have taken me up to the 100 miles for the day.

Oaky's theory that Roman roads are straight because they are built on disused railway lines was proven by a shoulder height signal in one of the gardens at the side of the route at Castle Acre - along with the evidence that the Romans built their chariots with the same wheel spacing as standard gauge rail track.

Photos:

Road sections

Typical trail

Castle Acre

Well deserved pub meal

My loaded bike

Bacon

As we had booked separately, we were quite spread out on the campsite - Oaky on the far end of the top field, Tomsk and OD on opposite sides of the middle field, and me next to cycling totty some young ladies in the lower field.

Tent pic

While the Essex lads headed for Sheringham, after a brief visit to Brancaster Saithe, I headed East and then South through Kings Lynn to meet Mrs Wobbly at her Mother's house for a lift home.

Who say's Norfolk is flat?

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #135 on: 11 October, 2010, 12:23:15 am »
Got home at around 17:30 after a thoroughly enjoyable weekend in excellent company.

I'll write up more and upload my few pictures when I have some time - probably wednesday night, but in the meantime I'll just mention that I did a total of 112 miles, (75 on Saturday, comprising the Peddars way, and the on-road stretches from BSE to the start and Holme-next-the-sea to Burnham Deepdale, and the rest incorporating Sunday's legs of Burnham Deepdale to Sheringham and Ipswich to Manningtree).

I reckon I'm onto something with the railway line theory -- I've just uncovered details of a former governor of Brittania known as Beechamus Maximus who may have had some hand in this.  Enquiries continue.

OD was sorely missing Regulator (but the soreness got better without any assistance in stretching out his bottom muscles).  His mind also turned towards DUG when he was bemoaning his sore nipples.

There's more sand in (the inland portions of) Norfolk than I'd ever have imagined.

My M+ tyres were fine on the offroad, sandy muddy, rutted, and turfy grassy sections.

For values of "fine" close to "scary as hell, but just about handleable, on account of my Ninja Off-Road Bike-Handling Skillz"

Oscar's dad

« Reply #136 on: 11 October, 2010, 02:34:15 pm »
I will get round to contributing more words and pictures but in the meantime here's a fragrant nosegay.

At some point on the Peddars Way (not sure where but one of the other three might) we came across a large ford.  There was a perfectly acceptable footbridge:

But Wobbly John decides to ride through.  The following <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5jCDj9mwURs&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/5jCDj9mwURs&rel=1</a> tells it's own story.  Suffice to say, yesterday morning WJ's drive chain wasn't feeling too chipper.

« Reply #137 on: 11 October, 2010, 03:27:03 pm »
At some point on the Peddars Way (not sure where but one of the other three might) we came across a large ford.  There was a perfectly acceptable footbridge:

Twas at Castle Acre.

It HAD to be done!  ;D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #138 on: 12 October, 2010, 08:15:29 am »
*Fnark*

And were the panniers as waterproof as they're cracked up to be?  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #139 on: 12 October, 2010, 02:54:05 pm »
And were the panniers as waterproof as they're cracked up to be?  ;D

:thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #140 on: 18 October, 2010, 06:27:08 pm »
Sorry, it was a busy week last week so I didn't get the chance to post my pictures.  I am stuck at Belfast Shitty Airport with some time to spare so here goes.  Mind you, I have a rather dodgy wiffy connection so if I dissapear mid-post you'll know why.

Early saturday morning found me sat on Witham station like a refugee waiting for Oaky to turn up, he duly did.  We boarded the train and got off at Bury St Edmunds.  The lift down from the platform was quite small but we managed to squeeze both loaded bikes in but the doors refused to shut.  My bike was catching the door so I got out and left Oaky to travel down to street level by himself.  I heard the doors open, heard the lift coming back up, watched the doors open ... Oaky was still in the lift.  He had travelled back up to tell me he'd worked out why the doors wouldn't shut: he was pressing the wrong button - there were only two.  So I squeezed my baike back in the lift.  We successfully travelled back down only to discover the exit door was not opposite the door we had used to enter the lift but to the side.  There now wasn't enough room in the lift to turn my bike so I had to up-end it and wrestle the bloody thing out.

Once outside Oaky spotted a burger van across the carpark and zoomed off for a dead pig roll:

I went to the loo.

We rode to Ixworth and met the other two for breakfast.  We then set off to find the Peddars Way.  Eventually we did and took some photos of us looking manly ...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #141 on: 18 October, 2010, 06:36:42 pm »
Then we found the Peddars Way again so took more photos ...

The Peddars Way then got ridden up ...

We had lunch at the Blue Lion in North Pickenham.  The gents loo wall was decorated with witty pictures, obviously put up by the landlord who had obviously had a reaction.  Hopefully you can read his response also stuck to the wall ...

Lunch went some way to restore the strength in my legs which had been steadily waning.  However, as the afternoon drew on I got more and more knackered.  In the end I am not ashamed to say I was pushing up the hills of which there were some crackers as we closed with the coast.  I had forgotten exactly how much more effort is required by off-road cycling, particularly with camping kit on-board.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #142 on: 18 October, 2010, 06:48:14 pm »
We finished the last section of the PW in the dark and I finally made it to the site about 15 minutes after the others.  My tent got bunged up, a shower was had and we shot off to the pub.

Next morning I took stock of my surroundings and concluded the site was a good 'un ...

The shop was just outside the site entrance so I bought some mushrooms and cooked a smashing breakfast: bacon in first ...

... then the mushrooms and deglazed the pan with a tin of beans.

The 25 mile ride to Sherringham was undulating and complimented by a head wind.  Refreshment were had at The George in Cley which had a CTC Winged Wheel ...

Engineering works meant Oaky and I had to ride the section from Ipswich to Manningtree and were only narrowly beaten by the replacement buses.

Thankfully my legs felt better on Sunday and I got home at about 5:30 with 111 miles on the clock.  A most excellent weekend - thanks chaps  :-* :thumbsup: ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #143 on: 23 October, 2010, 05:28:52 pm »
My nipples still aren't right. Today I purchased a small tin of Vaseline to prevent the problem happening again.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #144 on: 29 October, 2010, 07:05:48 pm »
I finally got round to putting up my pictures here.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #145 on: 29 October, 2010, 08:49:00 pm »
Excellent I particularly liked 25 thru 28 of the slide show, felt like I was there minus the smell in your tent...............probably

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #146 on: 29 October, 2010, 10:12:45 pm »
Excellent I particularly liked 25 thru 28 of the slide show, felt like I was there minus the smell in your tent...............probably

I could just about appreciate the flavour and scent of the (very) peaty malt whisky over the general FUG in there.  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #147 on: 30 October, 2010, 08:42:26 am »
You had a fug in your tent? I thought you were on your own.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #148 on: 30 October, 2010, 08:54:41 am »
You had a fug in your tent? I thought you were on your own.

Oscar's Dad was getting a little 'lips on' in one of the photos....  ;) ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Oscar's dad

« Reply #149 on: 30 October, 2010, 09:06:56 am »
I find Oaky hard to resist at the best of times. However, I had had a very hard day so my self control was at a very low ebb  ;D