Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105187 times)

Cambrian Series Permanents
« on: 08 January, 2014, 04:36:27 pm »
I have just got some Brevet cards through for the lovely Cambrian series, and am most excited  ;D

I was just wondering, though, can I ride these routes with others (friends/family) or do they have to also pay to ride or be an Audax UK member?
Does not play well with others

Re: Permenants - riding with others
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2014, 04:43:33 pm »
Are you trying to tell us that you've not yet persuaded ALL your cycling firends and family to join AUK ?
Tsk. Tsk.

Re: Permanents - riding with others
« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2014, 04:46:15 pm »
You can ride ahead or alongside others but not take any assistance from them, no drafting, no using tools, no letting them buy the coffee.
AUK are watching. ;)

« Reply #3 on: 08 January, 2014, 04:49:02 pm »
which Cambrians are you doing ?
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2014, 05:21:14 pm »
Thanks for the reminder, I've got a Cambrian 2B card somewhere that needs using.

I rode the Cambrian 2C a couple of years ago with Hammerman, that's a really nice ride.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2014, 08:41:39 am »
I have just got some Brevet cards through for the lovely Cambrian series, and am most excited  ;D

I was just wondering, though, can I ride these routes with others (friends/family) or do they have to also pay to ride or be an Audax UK member?

I thought there was already a lot more posted in response to this request  ???

In summary, it depends on the organiser of the Cambrian perm series (Colin Bezant - AKA CrazyEnglishTriathlete) and I suggest you direct this request towards him. He will be the person validating your rides, not us.

H

« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2014, 09:08:07 am »
Thanks for the replies all. 

It's not really a big issue tbh as I doubt I would have been able to drag the other half along anyway and I plan to do the rides as part of my training which I always like to do solo.  I will mail Colin and see what he says though.

Oh, and even if he did come along, I'd be up front pacing as I always have to be.  He is too fast for me and I can't hold his back wheel for long, he isn't great at realising I've been dropped, and junctions would no doubt get missed. :P

Plus I always carry all my own kit, even on local training rides, as you never know when you may get separated.

It was more a thought than anything.  You know, nice summer day, some sunshine, a bit of chatting and a few pub stops.  But I guess that yes, this isn't the spirit of Audax.  I mean, where is the pain, suffering and hard man ethic ;)

which Cambrians are you doing ?

Well...at the moment I have the five 100 kms (as can hopefully fit them in round work if over that way) and 2a 2b 2c 2d and 3a.

« Reply #7 on: 09 January, 2014, 09:23:30 am »
Best wishes for the 100s !!!

FWIW I`ve ridden 1A and 1B so far and the 1A was 5 hr 40 min riding time so stops will be limited at these speeds---I clocked up 2 200 m climbing during it; 1B was easier about 5 hr riidng time---maybe I`m just slow now :( but beware the hilliness and roads slow you down
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #8 on: 09 January, 2014, 09:31:56 am »
I did the 3A last year - it's *very* tough.  Of course you may well be tougher than I but it's a real tough grimpeur (I'm fairly sure they all are) - it's 4.25 AAA points belie more than 6000 m of climbing if you do it the purest route.

So be warned.

Stunning, stunning scenery though - the most scenic audax I've done by a country mile.   One of the rides that really broke my spirit at times though.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #9 on: 09 January, 2014, 09:47:14 am »
Thanks guys.  I know that area of Wales pretty well so figured they would be very very hilly and was expecting 5 to 6 hours for the 100 km with stops. That is what I want though.  Need to toughen up a bit, seemed like this would be a great way to do so as the scenery will take my mind off the pain, somewhat!

« Reply #10 on: 09 January, 2014, 10:59:01 am »
Thanks guys.  I know that area of Wales pretty well so figured they would be very very hilly and was expecting 5 to 6 hours for the 100 km with stops. That is what I want though.  Need to toughen up a bit, seemed like this would be a great way to do so as the scenery will take my mind off the pain, somewhat!

5-6 with stops  ::-) see this http://connect.garmin.com/activity/427042903

OK I stopped 45 min @ Tregaron for a fabulous burger @ Y Talbot but the leg Beulah > Tregaron took nearly 2 hours riding !

and it`s an over distance 100km as it seems several of the other 100km are---but a fantastic route---thinking of 1D this Saturday (Bwlch Y Groes loop) but worried that snow level / ice  may affect the higher roads

caerau

« Reply #11 on: 09 January, 2014, 11:11:24 am »

All good then, enjoy  :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 09 January, 2014, 11:19:09 am »

5-6 with stops  ::-) see this http://connect.garmin.com/activity/427042903

OK I stopped 45 min @ Tregaron for a fabulous burger @ Y Talbot but the leg Beulah > Tregaron took nearly 2 hours riding !

and it`s an over distance 100km as it seems several of the other 100km are---but a fantastic route---thinking of 1D this Saturday (Bwlch Y Groes loop) but worried that snow level / ice  may affect the higher roads

Ooh, would you mind terribly if I download this as a course to save me faffing and creating my own? 

Let me know if you do the 1D and what conditions are like as may try and get over in the next few weeks or so  :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 09 January, 2014, 11:34:13 am »
You`re most welcome to use it----this is though a very straightfwd route with little choice (although you could choose extra km @ Pont yr Elan to go around the reservoirs, avoid summit mountain road and cut down lanes to Llanwrthwl --but mountain road has 4km cracking 6-10% descent :) :) , other cambrian 1 seem have more choices.
 After Tregaron keep something back for climb after Pont Rhyd Y Groes---enough said :(

My route started @ Llandrindod Wells lake---plenty roadside parking and at least 500m FLAT to enjoy :)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #14 on: 09 January, 2014, 11:54:29 am »
Although in theory AUK riders are not supposed to have outside assistance (eg pacing from other riders) on Audax events, I would be the last person to stop anyone from doing it on the rides I organise.  The biggest barrier to riding in company on these rides is the terrain - as its much harder to ride in a group over lumpy ground.  And there aren't many flat bits in the Cambrian Series  :)

But of course I would welcome new AUK members and entries, especially if, having ridden one or two they get the bug.   ;D

(After all, I was so impressed by the [Cambrian Series] that I bought the company {took over the organising from Peter Coulson})
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #15 on: 09 January, 2014, 01:27:16 pm »
"I rode the Cambrian 2C a couple of years ago with Hammerman, that's a really nice ride."
Thats not what you said at the time Bairdy lol
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

caerau

« Reply #16 on: 09 January, 2014, 01:55:58 pm »
I can well believe that  ;D

(not cos it's Bairdy I stress, just that I know how tough the 3A was)

hillbilly

« Reply #17 on: 09 January, 2014, 01:59:54 pm »
Have fun. 

As hinted at below, the climbing on this series of rides is such that the AAA points will often feel hard won.

The 2C was one of the hardest 200s I did last year, which was not what the AAA points suggested.  My legs felt it was on a par with the Tregaron Dragon in terms of challenge.  This might have been a result of the roads I chose, although I suspect not.  Lovely bit of the UK though (well, other than Lampeter, which was a bit meh).  I can share my route/track with you, if of interest (at the very least, it might suggest where to try and avoid hills).  PM me with your email address if you want it.

caerau

« Reply #18 on: 09 January, 2014, 02:08:56 pm »
I still have a slight lurking sense of 'hard done by' for only getting 4.25 AAA for the 3A.  It was definitely more than that.

The points are based on the fact that riders can choose to go around some of the hills as there are no set routes, so if you do go over them you get no extra AAA points accordingly.  I certainly did my bit of avoiding truly horrendous amounts of climbing in certain stretches - I recall that if you route the 3A through Painscastle it adds about 1500 m of climbing to the ride - however, there was no avoiding The Devil's Staircase or Tregaron mountain road...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #19 on: 09 January, 2014, 02:40:17 pm »
I've always thought that Painscastle is so appropriately named.  However, if you route a Hay/Monmouth - Llandrindod section through it you are rewarded with a magnificent ride.

I am looking at some of the AAA points and mail the AAA man occasionally.  The ascents were originally calculated by Peter Coulson way back when and some of them feel a bit stingy.  However, GPS nearly always give a 10 - 15% greater figure than contour counting which was the only method Peter had - and this is also a factor in how rides feel.

But then any permanent is 10 - 15% harder than the equivalent calendar ride becuase you don't (a) have company and (b) someone to sort out all the controls for you.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #20 on: 09 January, 2014, 02:44:10 pm »
Although in theory AUK riders are not supposed to have outside assistance (eg pacing from other riders) on Audax events, I would be the last person to stop anyone from doing it on the rides I organise.  The biggest barrier to riding in company on these rides is the terrain - as its much harder to ride in a group over lumpy ground.  And there aren't many flat bits in the Cambrian Series  :)

But of course I would welcome new AUK members and entries, especially if, having ridden one or two they get the bug.   ;D

(After all, I was so impressed by the [Cambrian Series] that I bought the company {took over the organising from Peter Coulson})

Ah, thank you CrazyEnglishTriathlete  :thumbsup:

This thread is making me think I am in for some serious pain!

caerau

« Reply #21 on: 09 January, 2014, 03:38:21 pm »
At least you're warned  ;D , before I went on the 3A I though the Devil's Staircase was in the Brecon Beacons (no, that's the much easier, Devil's Elbow).  I knew there was a climb between Llanwrtydd Wells and Tregaron but was most shocked when presented with the almost vertical wall of the staircase.

I recall writing a ride report here afterwards including mention of that [expletive self moderated] climb!  What the heck was that?
Only when I looked at my Strava segments afterwards did I discover its identity.  :facepalm:

Anyway, aside from that you will be in for a massive treat on the scenery.  Even after my sufferfest up the staircase I was wowed by the Elan Valley.  You will not be disappointed.  I must do another CS ride myself sooner rather than later.
If you want real pain - try the 10A  :demon:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #22 on: 09 January, 2014, 03:57:45 pm »
At least you're warned  ;D , before I went on the 3A I though the Devil's Staircase was in the Brecon Beacons (no, that's the much easier, Devil's Elbow).  I knew there was a climb between Llanwrtydd Wells and Tregaron but was most shocked when presented with the almost vertical wall of the staircase.

I recall writing a ride report here afterwards including mention of that [expletive self moderated] climb!  What the heck was that?
Only when I looked at my Strava segments afterwards did I discover its identity.  :facepalm:

The Devil's Staircase is only the third hardest climb on the 4C!!   (after climbing this, Bwlch y Groes and Allt Gwernant, Llangollen equipped with a 27" gear)

caerau

« Reply #23 on: 09 January, 2014, 04:10:47 pm »
Yes I've read your reports, you have my sincere awe and respect  :thumbsup:

I'm not a good climber it has to be said - far too heavy.

I'm going for a second bite at the Staircase this year though on the Elenydd.  I did the 3A on a silly bike to be fair and have been trained up a lot in climbing since.  The 3A was only my 3rd audax and 3rd 100+ mile ride at the time. 
I managed to get up the Devil's Elbow without putting my foot down on the Transporter 200 in November against storm force winds so I'm a lot more confident than I was then and I will use a much lighter bike with better gearing.

*bet I still end up walking though*

« Reply #24 on: 09 January, 2014, 04:26:36 pm »
I will use a much lighter bike with better gearing.

Which will be??? 

I am hoping to have my Audax bike built up by the time I get to some of the longer ones.  But if not m current easiest gear is a 40 upfront an 28 on the back.  This may HAVE to change asap from the look of it!