Author Topic: What will the weather be like?  (Read 11457 times)

Re: What will the weather be like?
« Reply #50 on: 15 August, 2019, 11:43:06 am »
There is no point worrying about it.

Temperature and rainfall affects what I decide to take with me. Wind strength and direction just affects what progress I make.

Chris S

« Reply #51 on: 15 August, 2019, 11:44:12 am »
It's not like there's a lack of wheels to hide behind on PBP :)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #52 on: 15 August, 2019, 11:47:42 am »

Temperature and rainfall affects what I decide to take with me. Wind strength and direction just affects what progress I make.

Wind does matter. It matters in how you budget your time.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #53 on: 15 August, 2019, 11:59:36 am »
Budget my time?  I have to put up with that sort of carp at work.  This is just a bike ride  :P

simonp

« Reply #54 on: 15 August, 2019, 12:03:42 pm »

What's the wind direction going to be? Surely that's most important of all considerations?

J

Everyone is scarred by the memory of 2007 (a wet one). I’d rather it was a bit windy but dry. I think it’s going to be the usual headwind out tailwind home. That’s expected and normal. Large groups form on the road which will help.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #55 on: 15 August, 2019, 12:21:42 pm »
The wind will be pretty gentle, so it doesn't matter, particularly on a tandem. For the record, my guess is a mild headwind out and a crosswind back.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

simonp

« Reply #56 on: 15 August, 2019, 11:56:38 pm »
The forecast for Saturday has improved. Rest of event looks likely to be fairly dry.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #57 on: 16 August, 2019, 08:25:13 am »
Was involved in  the finish line for TCR so spent 8 days or so in Brest last week. The changeable nature of the weather was amazing. Riders would be battling in against horizontal rain at one point only to be replaced by a lull a few hours later, sun out and a gentle breeze. Have a good ride everyone.
often lost.

« Reply #58 on: 16 August, 2019, 09:45:49 am »
Showers on Monday but the rest of the time, dry, even a touch of sun.

Wind seems light. 10-15 running west to east Sunday/Monday and then north-south 5-10 Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.

« Reply #59 on: 16 August, 2019, 10:49:51 pm »

Wind does matter. It matters in how you budget your time.

J

It'll be a an againsterly. It's always an againsterly.

« Reply #60 on: 24 August, 2019, 02:30:54 pm »
Is there anybody who has one of those Garmins that records temperature?

Because in those early hours it was so cold, be interesting to see what the temperature was.

I’m thinking it must have gone down to 5C, and some interesting temperature inversion also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #61 on: 24 August, 2019, 02:34:04 pm »
We had 3.1 degrees on the Garmin in the valley before Huelgoat. 
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #62 on: 24 August, 2019, 02:44:36 pm »
Lowest I saw on my Garmin was 3.8 descending out of Carhaix around 5:30 Tuesday morning - I saw patches of grass frost as well (which can certainly happen around that sort of temperature).

I think it was much colder than 2015 (which many people thought was very cold (including myself)).

I certainly think some of the countries from which riders really suffered in 2015 did look a lot better prepared for cold temperatures - the Indian randonneurs in particular looked well prepared with woolie hats and jumpers!

But I suspect it still did for a large number of those from SE Asia and India etc. who will have only ever experience 4 degrees when they open their fridge at home.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #63 on: 24 August, 2019, 02:51:41 pm »
Lowest 6 degrees and highest 31 degrees. It did feel much colder though because of the high humidity; at 6 degrees I normally don't need my rain jacket (in addition to baselayer, jersey and hi-viz gilet).

And yes, the wind was definitely againsterly. But I'd say at most a force 3 so fairly benign (though YMMV, there was an American cursing the wind continuously during the first night)

simonp

« Reply #64 on: 24 August, 2019, 03:00:31 pm »
The conditions heading for Brest on Monday afternoon and evening were described as riders pedalling downhill in the small ring off the roc. Desperate riders sucking every wheel they could find. I certainly felt like Monday was a struggle. I didn't leave Carhaix until after dark so the wind was much less of an issue by the time I got there.

« Reply #65 on: 24 August, 2019, 03:01:09 pm »
I'm riding south along the Loire, and it's hitting 35 degrees by 12 and not dropping below 30 until 8 or 9 pm.

While I was siesta-ing in the shade, another PBP rider passed, and we agreed that we were lucky not to have had these temperatures during the ride.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #66 on: 24 August, 2019, 04:57:31 pm »
The conditions heading for Brest on Monday afternoon and evening were described as riders pedalling downhill in the small ring off the roc. Desperate riders sucking every wheel they could find. I certainly felt like Monday was a struggle. I didn't leave Carhaix until after dark so the wind was much less of an issue by the time I got there.

I felt so beaten up by the wind when I got to Carhaix I decided on a long stop, nice then to see the wind turbines no longer spinning when riding back from Carhaix to St Nicholas, and then spinning but now with the wind form the north east later on Tuesday.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #67 on: 24 August, 2019, 07:49:36 pm »

It just depends where you are in the field

Right at the back of you can do 27kph in a headwind there are no wheels to follow, you are the wheel

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #68 on: 24 August, 2019, 09:32:13 pm »
while the weather wasn't bad at all (could have been so much worse!) somehow it made this edition fairly difficult. i was riding with two other riders from brest to carhaix, they finished at ~43h and 44h four years ago. this time they both rolled in at around 50hr mark. i had a long stretch into a headwind, riding solo from loudeac to sizun on the way out. i was also caught in heavy shower approaching brest, my shoes/feet stayed wet until the end of the ride..

« Reply #69 on: 24 August, 2019, 09:46:18 pm »

Depend on your start and your speed.

I lost the good train in Tintineac searching for water seeing the supported riders flash away. We ended up beiing 6 or 7.
After Loudeac I have sepnd most of the ride on my own in group of 2 to 4 including myself.

Actually managed for one full hour not to ride with anyone, not to get caught by one, catch nonone myself and see no other rider I displayed the route several times convinced I must have been utterly lost, I wasn't.

I was afraid of the bulge I discovered you can be very lonely amongst 6 000 others as well.

« Reply #70 on: 24 August, 2019, 09:59:58 pm »

I can confirm Arrived into Brest around 3PM. Had been on my own till I got caught by Bogdan the Polish express from D group going up that climb. He woke me up and we had lots of fun Fighting the wind uphill and then down. About two thirds down I let him go cos this machine was gonna blow me apart.

Looking at his splits I wonder where he would have ended up from B or A? As I found his riding and ride more impressive then the B breakaway. I saw the break go after almost 200K had the legs to go with at the time but knew it would never last so i slid back into the main bunch for shelter of the wind wondering when lack of sleep before the ride would catch up with me.

Davef

« Reply #71 on: 24 August, 2019, 10:10:50 pm »
It was definitely chilly. I had to get the extra blanket from the wardrobe in the hotel in Sizun. Hard times. Hard times.

« Reply #72 on: 25 August, 2019, 09:18:04 am »
We had 3.1 degrees on the Garmin in the valley before Huelgoat.

Thank you, it certainly felt like that, also with a heavy dew.

I had base layer, jersey, gilet, rain jacket and then PBP gilet on and still felt cold!

Think next time may carry winter jersey

Then later on in the day, just had my jersey on trying to keep cool!

Just so glad I decided to put my leg warmers in, thinking I wouldn’t need them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simonp

« Reply #73 on: 25 August, 2019, 12:52:24 pm »
TrainerRoad says I did an all-time PB for the first 9h of the ride, in terms of power. It wasn't that fast, because of headwind and riding mostly alone. I produced more power for the first 9h than for the first 9h of a 300k in the UK, and I still had nearly 70h left to ride.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #74 on: 27 August, 2019, 04:46:03 pm »

Wasn't too bad Tuesday morning, never really noticed the wind on the way out though there were a few bits on the way back where I swear the road was going down hill and I was pedalling to keep moving.

I'm riding south along the Loire, and it's hitting 35 degrees by 12 and not dropping below 30 until 8 or 9 pm.

While I was siesta-ing in the shade, another PBP rider passed, and we agreed that we were lucky not to have had these temperatures during the ride.

Was pretty warm heading north Saturday and Sunday, the Wahoo's temperature and barometric pressure sensors have failed though so can only say it was warm enough and burney enough for Iroiromono to be laughing at how much suncream I bathed in.

At one point I saw a dark cloud ahead, but it was getting lighter, I felt spots of rain then passed about 30 riders hiding under trees putting their rain jackets on...
I figured that if it did rain enough to get me wet I would welcome the soaking and soon dry out; but it did exactly what I expected of it; a few spots then nothing.

It was a good chill at night, as Fearnor said (possibly in another post) the spare jersey had to be deployed; although in my case that was a case of putting my yellow, heavy PBP HI-Vis over my light, vented Orange one.  Not quite Rab C. Style though.