Author Topic: Cyclists move like a swarm of sparrows  (Read 2118 times)

Cyclists move like a swarm of sparrows
« on: 25 August, 2020, 08:27:08 am »
https://twitter.com/Cycling_Embassy/status/1298153135127646208

“Car drivers behave like a bunch of geese. They keep the same distance from each other and fly at the same speed, and move in military formation.

Cyclists move like a swarm of sparrows. There are thousands of them moving in chaos, but there are no collisions.“ -
@wim_bot

#Delf

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Cyclists move like a swarm of sparrows
« Reply #1 on: 25 August, 2020, 09:54:44 am »
I've thought that car drivers behave like puppies, running excitedly in short bursts then standing still investigating something (whereas puppies are interested in smells and random shit, drivers hang around fascinated by red lights and white lines on the ground). Cyclists behave like cows, slowly munching their way across a field from one side to the other, never fast but never quite stopping.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 25 August, 2020, 09:56:35 am »
Cars keeping the same distance from each other? Is this in a long term Airport Car Park?
It is simpler than it looks.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 25 August, 2020, 10:43:28 am »
Could really do with showing it on a pissing wet winters day.
Even if only to shout "shut up you bunch of british jessies" whenever anyone says "they get better weather than us"

« Reply #4 on: 25 August, 2020, 09:03:05 pm »
If that was really true then there would be no crashes in the peloton. But there are, so it isn't.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 25 August, 2020, 09:07:37 pm »
Cyclists move like a pelican, Shirley?

ian

« Reply #6 on: 25 August, 2020, 09:29:37 pm »
Swarm? Try the motor scooters of Hanoi. That's a swarm (there are several million in use). I have no idea how they don't all crash. Crossing the road is interesting even by developing world standards (and I'm very familiar with the Bangkok dash and the Manila rush).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7 on: 25 August, 2020, 10:00:10 pm »
A swarm of sparrows ???

« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2020, 05:00:21 am »
Swarm? Try the motor scooters of Hanoi. That's a swarm (there are several million in use). I have no idea how they don't all crash. Crossing the road is interesting even by developing world standards (and I'm very familiar with the Bangkok dash and the Manila rush).

A niece of mine spent a year teaching English in Hanoi, and using a motor scooter for transport. She explained to me that vehicles with engines smaller than 50cc did not require a license to operate. Vehicles with larger engines required a license, but negotiating the bureaucracy to get a license was so ridiculously difficult that nobody bothered, they just drove without a license. That would make driving in Hanoi very interesting.

ian

« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2020, 11:28:08 am »

A niece of mine spent a year teaching English in Hanoi, and using a motor scooter for transport. She explained to me that vehicles with engines smaller than 50cc did not require a license to operate. Vehicles with larger engines required a license, but negotiating the bureaucracy to get a license was so ridiculously difficult that nobody bothered, they just drove without a license. That would make driving in Hanoi very interesting.

It's pretty amazing (even compared to places like Manila) – I've never seen so many. If you're in a car and it's turning, they'll continue to flow in front of you even as you turn. If you want to cross the road you often have to simply step out and trust that they'll go around you. You'll see them carrying up to four people, the occasional sofa, lots of chickens, and once I saw an entire bathroom (tub, sink, toilet) perched on the back of a little scooter.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2020, 11:30:46 am »
We Westies are so easily impressed by people actually using 2-wheelers as transport.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.