Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 637995 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #2750 on: 28 January, 2019, 06:27:45 pm »
Looks as if it's based around an oversize pair of handcuffs!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2751 on: 28 January, 2019, 06:36:58 pm »
It has to be, given the general impracticality of putting a mechanical drivetrain in there.  Other issues left as an exercise for the reader, but the whole thing comes across as one of those design student creations which has escaped into the real worldhttps://neofold.com/

File under not-road-legal vehicles that have wheels and are faster than walking.

My bold.
This. Very much so.
£956.13?
I don't think so.

« Reply #2752 on: 29 January, 2019, 12:41:56 pm »
It has to be, given the general impracticality of putting a mechanical drivetrain in there.  Other issues left as an exercise for the reader, but the whole thing comes across as one of those design student creations which has escaped into the real worldhttps://neofold.com/

File under not-road-legal vehicles that have wheels and are faster than walking.

My bold.
This. Very much so.
£956.13?
I don't think so.

Well, exactly. You could buy a folding e-bike for that, which would have more uses.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2753 on: 29 January, 2019, 03:48:38 pm »
How many attempts have there been at all-electric drivetrains? Folding utility bikes might be one application where they just might make sense, especially if you can add a small battery for e-assist.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2754 on: 29 January, 2019, 04:11:46 pm »
How many attempts have there been at all-electric drivetrains? Folding utility bikes might be one application where they just might make sense, especially if you can add a small battery for e-assist.

The efficiency gets you if you rely on human power alone, but as you say, that's not such a problem if it's an e-assist bike anyway.  It's something that would be interesting to play with, as you effectively get a software-defined CVT.  And no exposed oily bits.

I suspect the compelling argument against it is that you can make it even more mechanically simple by swapping the genset at the cranks for a simple sensor and adding a bit more battery capacity instead.

« Reply #2755 on: 29 January, 2019, 06:17:06 pm »

The efficiency gets you if you rely on human power alone, but as you say, that's not such a problem if it's an e-assist bike anyway.  It's something that would be interesting to play with, as you effectively get a software-defined CVT.  And no exposed oily bits.

How big are the losses likely to be - 10% overall? In which case it might still make sense (FCVO) for a utility bike in places with civilised infrastructure, especially if the lack of chain means you can design a cunning fold or what have you.

I suspect the compelling argument against it is that you can make it even more mechanically simple by swapping the genset at the cranks for a simple sensor and adding a bit more battery capacity instead.

Which makes me wonder in a rules-lawyery kind of way: is a vehicle with a 250W motor and cranks that aren't connected to anything but a pedal sensor, a road-legal bicycle?

« Reply #2756 on: 29 January, 2019, 06:26:26 pm »
I test rode a Mando Footloose that tried this a few years ago. The basic problem is that spinning a generator that has no feel to it in relation to your riding is really unpleasant. It also had very little resistance to the pedals so you probably weren't contributing much power.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2757 on: 29 January, 2019, 07:30:13 pm »
Which makes me wonder in a rules-lawyery kind of way: is a vehicle with a 250W motor and cranks that aren't connected to anything but a pedal sensor, a road-legal bicycle?

AIUI the pedals have to be capable of 'propelling' the cycle, so probably not.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #2758 on: 30 January, 2019, 02:35:23 pm »

One possiblity for a heavy cargobike that has to stop a lot is a hub motor for regen and a low single-speed for maximum human assistance on starts and steep climbs where the motor is least efficient. Once up to minimum speed the pedals freewheel an power a genartor, giving a constant regen of say 100 watts.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #2759 on: 18 February, 2019, 08:22:37 pm »
Biplane handlebars.

Wrong on so many levels.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2760 on: 18 February, 2019, 09:04:53 pm »
Depends how you feel about Snoopy.

« Reply #2761 on: 19 February, 2019, 07:34:33 pm »
Biplane handlebars.

Wrong on so many levels.

Yay! Room for my bell, my tea, my light (high enough to see over the bar bag), my gps and my bag! Exactly what I need.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #2762 on: 20 February, 2019, 01:47:12 pm »
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2763 on: 20 February, 2019, 01:54:16 pm »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2764 on: 20 February, 2019, 02:17:41 pm »
"The goddess Kali depicted as a bicycle."

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2765 on: 22 February, 2019, 07:00:47 pm »

Parked next to my bike at work the other day.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2766 on: 16 March, 2019, 08:15:13 pm »
Do bikes in shops count? This was in Colston Bike Workshop.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2767 on: 16 March, 2019, 08:16:53 pm »
Chain's a bit...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2768 on: 16 March, 2019, 08:45:26 pm »
Pedaling effort sets up a wave motion in the chain, which in this case was in exact counter-frequency to the wave in the stays and therefore the entire chain dematerialised. The rims and spokes are invisible due to their extremely high speed, whereas hubs of course are essentially stationary.

« Reply #2769 on: 16 March, 2019, 09:19:38 pm »

<Pimp My Ride> "Yo dawg, I heard you like bar ends so we put bar ends on your bar ends..." </Pimp My Ride>
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2770 on: 29 March, 2019, 06:13:47 pm »
Noticed an interesting modification to an otherwise normal hybrid as its owner unlocked it outside the shop yesterday:  A Mk 1 bit of knicker elastic linking the top of the lower front mudguard stays to one of the down-tube cable stops.  I couldn't work out whether this was an exasperated bodge to prevent the mudguard rubbing, or an attempt at a rudimentary steering damper.  It didn't look like it was stunningly effective at either.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2771 on: 29 March, 2019, 06:58:02 pm »
Trophy?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2772 on: 29 March, 2019, 11:41:11 pm »
I saw this monstrosity in Amsterdam in February:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2773 on: 30 March, 2019, 04:14:47 pm »
Very poor show: they haven't synchronised top and bottom cranks.  ;)

« Reply #2774 on: 30 March, 2019, 05:14:38 pm »
Looks as though the gearing could be different  :demon: