Author Topic: Windows 10 USB/Garmin problem  (Read 3006 times)

Windows 10 USB/Garmin problem
« on: 24 August, 2018, 03:36:49 pm »
Recently had to do a laptop reset and lost some USB drivers in the process. One of the reasons I did the reset was because the laptop was starting to behave inconsistently when I plugged in an Etrex 30 or an Edge 200 so this problem predates the reset.

The Garmin documentation leads me to believe that all the necessary drivers would be installed with Garmin Express, which I've done. However, the laptop now doesn't recognise either device - they don't appear in Windows Explorer when plugged into any of the USB ports. I've tried a couple of different leads. The USB ports are enabled and Windows will recognise other devices so it seems to be a Garmin problem.

You probably won't be surprised that I've found documentation where Garmin and Microsoft blame each other for the problem.

Any ideas gratefully received.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Re: Windows 10 USB/Garmin problem
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2018, 04:21:30 pm »
Try another USB lead, preferably one with Garmin on it. Srsly.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 24 August, 2018, 06:08:48 pm »
I don't think you'd need a special USB driver to see any Garmin in Explorer - assuming the Garmin is presenting itself in 'USB mode', that is.  The E30 for example has an option not to.  The Garmin driver OTOH is about making the device available to Garmin-aware software that might be running (I would say Mapsource but I understand there are more modern alternatives) and if the device is interfacing in this way then it will not be visible in Explorer.

Garmin Express I believe can work either way but is more notorious for not working at all.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2018, 06:19:38 pm »
Yes, the Garmin drivers are to support older devices that do not present themselves as generic USB Mass Storage device.
Mapsource will 'see' these devices.

More modern devices will present as generic USB drives, and don't require Garmin drivers.
Mapsource will see these too.

So to troubleshoot the issue...
Is the device going into Mass Storage mode? ( The screen will show this )
If not, it possibly hasn't detected that it's plugged into a PC, just external USB power.
Could be a problem with the cable or the USB port.

Try a different cable.
Does the same cable / USB port work with any other USB device?

« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2018, 07:10:09 pm »
So to troubleshoot the issue...
Is the device going into Mass Storage mode? ( The screen will show this )
If not, it possibly hasn't detected that it's plugged into a PC, just external USB power.
Could be a problem with the cable or the USB port.

Try a different cable.
Does the same cable / USB port work with any other USB device?

The cable I was trying to use is a Garmin branded one that came with the device. Tried a different cable with Etrex 30. Message displayed on device, 'The USB cable is connected to the wrong adapter'. When I OK that the device starts up but does not show in Windows Explorer. If I use that cable with the Edge 200 nothing happens at all.

The laptop has three USB ports and all work OK with my phone using either of the cables I've tried with the Germin devices.

« Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2018, 07:19:15 am »
Try another USB lead, preferably one with Garmin on it. Srsly.

This (almost). Found another lead. It's not a Garmin branded one but it works.