Author Topic: Luxus U - how hard to fit the extension switch for recumbents.  (Read 845 times)

Luxus U - how hard to fit the extension switch for recumbents.
« on: 23 December, 2020, 12:08:23 pm »
I have a Luxus U, the cable to the button to turn it on/off is not long enough to get to the bars.  They do a replacement longer cable for laidbacks but my DIY skillz extend to Lego and IKEA.  Can it be done (by me)?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Luxus U - how hard to fit the extension switch for recumbents.
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2020, 02:11:10 pm »
I have done the opps of this, reduced the cable length but cutting the re-soldering back in to the actual light unit. (I mistakenly bought the long cable version)

To extend, it would be my prefered solution to desolder from the light unit and then solder a new cable to whatever additional length require and then join that to the existing light switch cable.

If you aren't happy with soldering/desoldering and heat shrink then might be worth getting the extension cable you mention (though I've not seen one?)

Getting the right type of cable for the extension may pose it's own challenges too, unless you have something readily knocking around :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2020, 02:23:58 pm »
I can solder SON connectors to dynamo wire and do the heat shrink, but not as well as the technicians at work.  I would guess that the cable would be less standard though, but if I can find appropriate cable that might well be the least aesthetic but simplest solution.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2020, 02:31:19 pm »
If it's 4-core (or fewer), you can probably butcher a convenient USB cable.  I did just that to extend the cable to the e-bike power level switch unit thingy on barakta's trike.

Ethernet cable gives you 8 cores to play with.  Don't use the solid core type, though, it's not going to stand for repeated flexing.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2020, 02:40:37 pm »
If it's 4-core (or fewer), you can probably butcher a convenient USB cable.  I did just that to extend the cable to the e-bike power level switch unit thingy on barakta's trike.

Ethernet cable gives you 8 cores to play with.  Don't use the solid core type, though, it's not going to stand for repeated flexing.

Yep, some USB cable would do it - I had a quick look to see if I could find the off cut I had but suspect it has already been repurposed.

If you can solder the SON co-ax connectors you should be OK I would have thought.  Just be careful of the orientation of the internal li-po batteries and the reflector when you put the lamp unit back together, it's easy to snap little bits of the reflector

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5 on: 24 December, 2020, 12:13:32 pm »
I might start by chopping up a usb cable and seeing wot gives.  Don’t want to oversimplify it, but if it’s just a few wires that need cutting and then splicing back together then that should just about be doable - though it won’t look pretty!
I will have a look for some b&m instructions to check first, but I expect I would be happier with this job than having to tinker with the light itself.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 24 December, 2020, 01:06:23 pm »
The trick to splicing multi-core cable neatly using the solder and heat-shrink method is to cut the respective cores to lengths that stagger the splices, so you don't end up with one big lump.  And ideally not forget to slide the heat-shrink over the outer cable before you start...

You can get heat-shrink that's lined with hot-melt glue, for a bit more robustness.

« Reply #7 on: 24 December, 2020, 02:12:57 pm »
^ good tip that

« Reply #8 on: 24 December, 2020, 02:21:53 pm »
You can get heat-shrink that's lined with hot-melt glue, for a bit more robustness.

You can get heatshrink with a little ring of solder in the middle that makes the joint when you heat it. Not sure if it's USB cable gauge suitable.

(Haven't tried it myself, but Big Clive liked it)