Author Topic: LEL route  (Read 8623 times)

Re: LEL route
« Reply #25 on: 13 February, 2009, 07:55:02 pm »
Sorry to butt in, but I don't s'pose anyone has mapped the route online already have they?

http://www.aukweb.net/el/index.htm

Then click on "LEL Controls/Route" on the left hand side.

This will give you individual links to each leg.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

JJ

« Reply #26 on: 13 February, 2009, 07:56:52 pm »
Never thought to look THERE! ::-)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #27 on: 26 March, 2009, 10:38:04 am »
According to the latest provisional route there is no control at Cannonbie but there is one at Eskdakemuir

« Reply #28 on: 26 March, 2009, 12:53:34 pm »
There will be no control at Canonbie.

The route through the village and on through that hilly bit to rejoin the main road has been amended to stay on the main road.

Keith

« Reply #29 on: 26 March, 2009, 01:51:35 pm »
I was looking at taking the main road detour via Longtown and up the A7 anyway.

The A7 may be busy but that section from Canonbie to the B6318 up until the river was pretty brutal.

431m climbing in 32km (via backroads, Canonbie and Claygate) compared to 221m climbing via Longtown and the A7, plus it's 1km shorter.

(Climbing figures are estimates from bikehike.co.uk. Distances are from the turnoff on the B6071 for Hethersgill, to Langholm)

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #30 on: 26 March, 2009, 01:55:17 pm »

The A7 may be busy but that section from Canonbie to the B6318 up until the river was pretty brutal.

431m climbing in 32km (via backroads, Canonbie and Claygate) compared to 221m climbing via Longtown and the A7, plus it's 1km shorter.

(Climbing figures are estimates from bikehike.co.uk. Distances are from the turnoff on the B6071 for Hethersgill, to Langholm)

Agreed, can do without that. There were a few pretty steep climbs on that section (although it was pretty nice in terms of scenery) and the pull over the bridge and out of Cannobie itself wasn't great.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #31 on: 26 March, 2009, 02:06:20 pm »

The A7 may be busy but ...

I seem to remember that the A7 was brutally busy, like a mini M4 nr Swindon
Perhaps someone with local knowledge can confirm or deny

« Reply #32 on: 26 March, 2009, 02:10:41 pm »
I'd be expecting to do it at about 9pm on the Monday night.

We trudged along it at about 11.30am on a Tuesday and it wasn't that busy at all.

« Reply #33 on: 26 April, 2009, 07:50:38 pm »
It's not that simple.

The LEL route, entered as a list of controls, is under distance for a 1400km ride (if you were to enter it as a DIY ride) as there is little or no leeway with DIY rides.

Under AUK rules, calendar events are allowed to be slightly under-distance (shortest route) on the understanding that the roads that comprise the shortest route are horrible and no-one in their right mind would ride them. The route sheet will provide a nicer route on more cycle friendly roads. This applies to quite a few calendar events.

LRM has slightly different rules. PBP was under-distance if you chose the right route (but you had to stick to the prescribed route on that ride).

It's all about making something that's roughly the right length that will also be interesting to cycle. Look at the leg from Thurlby to Washinborough. The obvious choice, to knock off 3km off the bottom half, is to just blat up the A15. There are similar things on most legs that would make the whole ride a horrible blat along A-roads if you wanted it.

mikewigley

« Reply #34 on: 26 April, 2009, 08:16:57 pm »
If the final route is exactly 1400 then I apologise but my point is that I expect a degree of due diligance in this part of the task.

AC

I think you can stop worrying.  The routes I've seen are 716 + 685 = 1401km which although a touch overdistance isn't bad.  The route is obviously dependent on where Mel can get suitable control locations

The route is on the AUK website
click on LEL
click on LEL controls/route
click on LEL 2009 northbound and LEL 2009 southbound

« Reply #35 on: 27 April, 2009, 01:58:33 pm »
I understand that the B709 through Eskdalemuir is currently in terrible condition - road damaged by forestry vehicles, exacerbated by the winter weather.  It seems unlikely it will be resurfaced - some of the worst holes (and I'm told they are very bad) might be filled.  I haven't seen it for myself, but will in a couple of weeks.

You might want to plan a way of covering this section in daylight.

« Reply #36 on: 10 May, 2009, 08:24:15 pm »
Lel route & Autoroute

If you download the .gpx files from the website and convert using GPS Babel to .csv files you can import into Auto route as pushpins, interestingly my copy of autoroute 2006 shows us riding  across a field north of Hertford  to Ware road - the road does exist on Google Earth, Autoroute does have a few bugs like that

Also the GPS trackpoints could be seriously  reduced in number, someone was complaining about not being able to fit the route onto their GPS - you only need trackpoints at junctions, not on straight roads.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #37 on: 10 May, 2009, 08:35:14 pm »
Good grief.

Surely we are not going to lose sleep over a few kms either way, are we?

Besides, nobody in their right mind can be seriously considering completing the whole event solely on a pushbike, can they?

H

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #38 on: 26 May, 2009, 02:47:46 pm »
The route is now being formatted and put into hardcopy - so there won't be any more significant changes to the files linked above.

Also the GPS trackpoints could be seriously  reduced in number, someone was complaining about not being able to fit the route onto their GPS - you only need trackpoints at junctions, not on straight roads.

They are all sub-500 point Tracks, and there are 10 of them.  This will fit on any model of Garmin GPS, I don't know about other makes.  They are simply derived from the accompanying Google Maps.
People who want Routes will all want different things, but hopefully they will find the tracks useful as a starting point.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll