Author Topic: Racer dies in E123 race  (Read 5630 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Racer dies in E123 race
« on: 03 March, 2013, 07:23:33 pm »
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Racer dies in E123 race
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2013, 12:04:13 am »
Really tragic. A lot of those guys should be lining up for our club's RR in a couple of weeks. It's shocking, but also makes you realise this kind of thing is incredibly rare.

A lot of speculation and even accounts from riders in the bunch about what happened. Anybody who's had any involvement at all with road racing will know how often riders cross the central line while riding at great speed despite the warnings of organisers and commissaires, sadly this seems to have been a factor in this case.

« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2013, 07:35:52 am »
R.I.P.    My thoughts are with his family.

David Martin

« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2013, 08:04:16 am »
A lot of speculation and even accounts from riders in the bunch about what happened. Anybody who's had any involvement at all with road racing will know how often riders cross the central line while riding at great speed despite the warnings of organisers and commissaires, sadly this seems to have been a factor in this case.

We have had to stop races in the past when the riders were seriously misbehaving. Not just edging over the white line but deliberately attacking in the opposite gutter on a twisty road with blind corners.  The problem from a commissaires point of view is that it is very hard to distinguish the culprits from behind a pack of 80 riders. So you end up halting the race, reading them the riot act and carrying on. Nobody gets punished.

This year we will be putting a comm on a motorbike and pull a stunt like that and you will be going straight home with your pocket lighter. 

I'm not saying this was the case here - I've not seen any of the on-line discussion. It is a warning to all as to why following the rules is important.

« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2013, 08:44:51 am »
Very sad RIP
Condolences to the family and friends

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2013, 11:18:38 am »
We have had to stop races in the past when the riders were seriously misbehaving. Not just edging over the white line but deliberately attacking in the opposite gutter on a twisty road with blind corners.  The problem from a commissaires point of view is that it is very hard to distinguish the culprits from behind a pack of 80 riders. So you end up halting the race, reading them the riot act and carrying on. Nobody gets punished.

David, I'd be interested to hear what you think of this: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/a4aOtB8xuEM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/a4aOtB8xuEM&rel=1</a>

(from about 1:15 onwards)

When I first saw that I winced.

« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2013, 11:23:40 am »
the car involved may have been either stationary or parked

:(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

David Martin

« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2013, 11:32:01 am »
Hard to say without seeing exactly what the sightlines are like. In Wales you do have the authority to stop traffic (IIRC). The roads are very narrow and twisty for a bunch race, especially through the village. Without traffic control (ie knowing that oncoming traffic is stopped, it would not be an appropriate course.

« Reply #10 on: 04 March, 2013, 02:53:56 pm »
Reading the police info appeal, it was at the junction at SP609886, on a LH bend for the cyclists and a RH bend for the oncoming car.
If the cyclist was moving up the bunch on the outside, his view of an oncoming car would have been blocked by the other riders.
On the other hand, fast moving cars will frequently drift onto or well over the white line on a RH bend. I caught a door mirror on the hand/brake lever once despite being within 1m of the road edge and the road being a 2 car width.

« Reply #11 on: 04 March, 2013, 03:18:08 pm »
Reading the police info appeal, it was at the junction at SP609886, on a LH bend for the cyclists and a RH bend for the oncoming car.
If the cyclist was moving up the bunch on the outside, his view of an oncoming car would have been blocked by the other riders.

The only article about the incident I have read says it was a parked or stationary car.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #12 on: 04 March, 2013, 03:21:02 pm »

The only article about the incident I have read says it was may have been a parked or stationary car.

FTFY

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 04 March, 2013, 04:25:32 pm »
I don't think that is a nice piece of road. Cars off the bridge and not on the Motorway.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #14 on: 04 March, 2013, 06:16:06 pm »
Very sad indeed.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #15 on: 04 March, 2013, 06:33:09 pm »

The only article about the incident I have read says it was a parked or stationary car.

Brother-in-law of a colleague died in a race some years ago.  Head down straight into a parked car.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16 on: 04 March, 2013, 06:45:57 pm »
As did our HR director.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 04 March, 2013, 07:03:52 pm »
Even time-trailists have done it :(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

David Martin

« Reply #18 on: 04 March, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »
I've done it when commuting as a schoolboy, but obviously non-fatally.

« Reply #19 on: 04 March, 2013, 07:18:22 pm »

The 'picture' shown is at the bottom of a steep hill, which is used weekly on the Severn RC Time Trial course.  UC186.
A very fast stretch of road.

David Martin

« Reply #20 on: 04 March, 2013, 07:26:14 pm »
The reports are that he tried to make up ground on the peloton crossing to the wrong side of the road on a blind bend and hit an oncoming car.

« Reply #21 on: 04 March, 2013, 09:30:17 pm »
I've been led to believe that the future of amateur road racing in the UK was already looking sketchy, especially due to solid white line transgressions similar to this. It's not good news all round.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

« Reply #22 on: 04 March, 2013, 10:04:10 pm »

D'you know, by the time I'd got half way through that sentence I'd already come to terms with you being a zombie.

David Martin

« Reply #23 on: 04 March, 2013, 10:05:10 pm »
:o

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #24 on: 04 March, 2013, 10:56:10 pm »

D'you know, by the time I'd got half way through that sentence I'd already come to terms with you being a zombie.

Well apparently he's looking the part today :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!