Author Topic: Printer choice - laser or ink jet?  (Read 3885 times)

Re: Printer choice - laser or ink jet?
« Reply #25 on: 05 December, 2023, 07:25:23 am »
It’s not a recommendation for a particular model, it’s a suggest to stick “brother laser printer” into your favourite search engine and buy the first thing you see.

Yep, I used these folk in the first instance https://www.printerland.co.uk/printers/brother/laser/colour then once I've selected my printer hunt around for the best deal I can find.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #26 on: 05 December, 2023, 10:16:01 am »
It’s not a recommendation for a particular model, it’s a suggest to stick “brother laser printer” into your favourite search engine and buy the first thing you see.
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the tip.

As I mentioned upthread, I thought my 17 year-old HP C3180 had an ink problem with the
cartridges I had bought cheaply from Amazon. I then forked out £80+ for some genuine HP ones.
That didn't solve the problem. After scrapping the printer I was left with two (full) sets of cartridges which I didn't want to waste.

I have therefore bought a replacement HP printer (that uses the same cartridges) and will use
them until they are empty. As I didn't treat myself for my birthday a few weeks ago, and the
fact that I've saved a bit of cash by having a water meter (paying <£9 pm, as opposed to £32),
I can justify buying a Brother laser printer now.

I have seen some refurbished ones at Norwood Computers. Anyone recommend that outlet?

« Reply #27 on: 05 December, 2023, 10:21:30 am »
Brother HL-L2357DW

Affordable, compact. Works via wifi (rather good printing app from phones) or usb cable.

We've found it dependable and cheap to run.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 05 December, 2023, 11:39:53 am »
Free printing is one of the perks of working in an office, for the amount I print.
And if you don't have an office and rarely print stuff, it's simpler to go to the library than buy a printer.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #29 on: 06 December, 2023, 08:05:30 pm »
As I mentioned upthread, I thought my 17 year-old HP C3180 had an ink problem with the cartridges I had bought cheaply from Amazon. I then forked out £80+ for some genuine HP ones.
That didn't solve the problem. After scrapping the printer I was left with two (full) sets of cartridges which I didn't want to waste.

I have therefore bought a replacement HP printer (that uses the same cartridges) and will use them until they are empty. As I didn't treat myself for my birthday a few weeks ago, and the fact that I've saved a bit of cash by having a water meter (paying <£9 pm, as opposed to £32), I can justify buying a Brother laser printer now.

I had a similar experience with two successive HP Photosmart printers, one bought new about 12-15 years ago and another (same model) bought second-hand on eBay a couple of years back.  Having accumulated loads of cartridges (and the kit to refill them), when the second Photosmart gave up the ghost a year or so ago (literally spitting out bits of the mechanism), I went on the HP website to see what other models used the same carts.

Having identified a suitable candidate (actually a combined printer/scanner), I sourced a local one on Gumtree and it's still going strong, albeit it doesn't get a lot of use these days as I've since bought a Canon for photo printing.

I just need to know now what to do with all that leftover ink.   :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30 on: 06 December, 2023, 10:32:00 pm »
Sometimes I have a game of "Name That Forummer" with Jan and I read something out for her to identify who wrote it. I did this with Kim's post on the previous page, and Jan guessed that forummer in 1.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #31 on: 06 December, 2023, 11:10:40 pm »
I have just replaced one Canon inkjet (the most basic model, cost me about 45€) with another slightly more sophisticated one. The old one had started really messing up photo printing, giving pools of ink on 10x15cm prints and not much better on A4. "Oh well I thought, it's done about 5 years of being a landing and take off pad foe a 8+kg moggy and worked well, in spite of being knocked to the floor from a fair height (about 1m70 I think)". The chief feature of the new one (and the reason I paid about 10€ more than the cheaper model which was about identical to my old one - except that there was a promo so it actually cost me a lot less!) is that it has front paper loading rather than top loading which means that the cat's hairs don't fall inside!
When I got it home and tried printing a photo same result as the old printer! Then I had a think. I had been using the Windows photo printing thingy. Switch to using the Canon photo print utility and everything is fine. I guess that would have been the case with the old printer as well but too late; I had already recycled it as a doc printer/scanner for a poor association. The cats are very happy!
God how I hate Windows. I am guessing that all my problems stem from a Windows update somewhere recently

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 06 December, 2023, 11:17:50 pm »
I am guessing that all my problems stem from a Windows update somewhere recently

Unrelated, but bloody typical: https://www.xda-developers.com/windows-update-bug-renaming-printers-m101-m106/

« Reply #33 on: 07 December, 2023, 08:20:48 am »
I had been using the Windows photo printing thingy. Switch to using the Canon photo print utility and everything is fine. I guess that would have been the case with the old printer as well but too late; I had already recycled it as a doc printer/scanner for a poor association. The cats are very happy!
God how I hate Windows. I am guessing that all my problems stem from a Windows update somewhere recently

If you mean Windows Photo Viewer, I've never been able to get acceptable printing results from that.  Even even using Windows' geriatic Paint program produces better output.

I don't know if it's still available, but a while ago Adobe were giving away legal download copies of Photoshop CS2 - old, but still worth having.

« Reply #34 on: 12 December, 2023, 05:08:55 pm »
Has anyone bought from Printerland.co.uk? Just about to press the button on this one:

Brother DCP-L3520CDW

« Reply #35 on: 12 December, 2023, 05:10:45 pm »
Has anyone bought from Printerland.co.uk? Just about to press the button on this one:

Brother DCP-L3520CDW

Yes, very happily, a few times all in. Don't know what their customer service is like, never had to use it, stuff turned up next day every time, as expected.

« Reply #36 on: 12 December, 2023, 05:22:05 pm »
Brother DCP-L3520CDW

Yes, very happily, a few times all in. Don't know what their customer service is like, never had to use it, stuff turned up next day every time, as expected.
There; I've done it. I could have bought it from Amazon, but thought I'd give my money to a
smaller outfit.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #37 on: 02 January, 2024, 12:16:25 pm »
Canon do those ink tank printers where you buy bottled ink too refill them with.  They claim 90% cheaper. We've got hp printer such had black cartridge and a tricolour cartridge.  This is annoying because you have to replace when one of the three colours gets used up. Very wasteful. Mostly it's got one colour that's 75% full when we have to throw it out.  That's why we're looking at a laser printer.

Mrs Morat has one, they print OK but can still dry out. I would have gone for a laser.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #38 on: 02 January, 2024, 04:09:16 pm »
In the end I bought this one.