Author Topic: Android storage space running out  (Read 998 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Android storage space running out
« on: 22 February, 2021, 08:33:39 pm »
I have a Moto G5 running Android 8.1.0. It has 16GB onboard storage and a recently acquired 32GB SD card.

Before I got the 32GB card it had a 16GB card running as a separate storage.

I started running into low storage error problems, despite putting stuff like photo storage onto the SD card, so I shelled out for the 32BG card and designated it as part of the internal storage, so in effect I have 48GB storage, give or take. I can live with the slightly slower performance.

However I'm still getting "Storage space running out" warnings. "Some system functions may not work". Trying to use my mail client, Gmail, tells me it can't sync, for example.

Clicking the storage tab shows
Device storage 25.98 GB total used of 48GB.
Internal shared storage 15.44 GB used of 16GB
SD card 10.55GB used of 32GB.

If I plug the phone into my desktop the file explorer on there only shows one device, the SD card. When the SD card was configured as a separate storage device I could see the phone and the SD card.

In summary, theoretically I think I have loads of room but the phone doesn't agree.  What can I do to fix it?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Android storage space running out
« Reply #1 on: 22 February, 2021, 08:48:41 pm »
Given that the phone thinks you have SD card space available, it can be worth going through looking at apps that store significant amounts, in search of settings to use the SD card for data storage. Every now and then I find another. It can make a massive difference.

« Reply #2 on: 22 February, 2021, 09:22:49 pm »
I have this problem with the same device. It seems that the internal storage of 16GB is separate from the card storage although the device pretends that it is not.

Many programmes need internal storage, perhaps they are poorly written. When the internal storage is nearing its limit there seems to be a problem with some programme updates which need internal memory to update. I have sometimes temporarily deleted programmes  to allow updates.

I have allowed every programme I can to use the SD storage.

I don't know what else to do.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2021, 09:51:27 pm »
Have the same phone that android doesn't move apps to the sd card.  You can move photos and docs but not apps.

« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2021, 09:57:32 pm »
You could also look at AppMgr III. I've used it on my G6 to move apps to the card. They seem to drift back over time, but it's helped in keeping enough space to allow the phone to run. Not so much since I found that critical app that allowed me to move data to the card, but it did keep me going. Even more so on my Samsung tablet, keeping enough space for Zwift.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 22 February, 2021, 11:28:22 pm »
Hiya Tim,

Sadly, Android uses the internal storage for apps. To free up space you'll have to delete some apps. I love the Moto phones, or I did until I discovered Redmi. I currently have 62GB of 128GB internal storage in use, and the 512GB sd card only has 22GB of material there. Large sd card because I have a few film projects I'm planning. I'm not particularly one for hording apps and I remove unwanted apps, even so, the internal memory is half full.

I doubt this is good news. Your phone is currently running what I'd call 'Grandma' specs.  :facepalm: was that harsh? I'm sorry, half joking, half serious. I use my mid-range mobile as a complete laptop replacement.

Anyhoo... can you delete some apps for better performance?
G.

« Reply #6 on: 23 February, 2021, 08:34:58 am »
I have a perfectly reliable Moto E4+ and am constantly juggling with space to update apps.
As much as I hate to do it I may have to get a new phone with 64gb internal memory just to keep the status quo.
I guess (being non-techie) that apps are getting bloated, and they handle memory carelessly because the bright young things that develop them all have wizzy phones that cope with such issues.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 23 February, 2021, 09:46:50 am »
Tale of a phone (click for full size):

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 23 February, 2021, 05:45:10 pm »
Rooting and installing a newer version of Android is sometimes an option. Also allows you to get rid of the bloatware. Although for a 2011 phone, that may not be a possibility.

« Reply #9 on: 23 February, 2021, 06:02:04 pm »
^^^ What I did with my Galaxy S4 mini

They stopped updating somewhere around Android 4 or 5. I currently have Android 11 installed and it’s nice and stable.  The phone is from 2013.