Author Topic: What GPS?  (Read 8476 times)

Re: What GPS?
« Reply #50 on: 15 June, 2010, 02:03:41 pm »
Haven't got the Oregon mount with me right now, but from memory the curvy bit is double-curved, so that you can mount it on either stem or bars without rotating that part. 

So I think it's all one bit of plastic, inseparable.  But I may be misremembering.

I remember concluding I would need a new set of zipties if I wanted to swap it between bikes.  :(

red marley

« Reply #51 on: 15 June, 2010, 02:19:52 pm »
Ahh - that would make sense. So now to go hunting for reusable zip ties.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #52 on: 15 June, 2010, 02:32:11 pm »
Yep, you can't use your edge mount for the Oregon and vice versa.

The mount for the Oregon and for the Edge is a plastic formed thingie which sits on a rubber square; the zipties go through the whole thing and hold it all together. The rubber square is probably the same size but the rest of the mount is different between the two and you'd need to change zipties to change mounts.

I suppose I was assuming you were particularly attached to the rubber square thingie and wanted to reuse it (perhaps because you had a good angle with it). But you'll need to re-fit the whole thing each time if you're swapping Garmins.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #53 on: 15 June, 2010, 06:09:43 pm »
Haven't got the Oregon mount with me right now, but from memory the curvy bit is double-curved, so that you can mount it on either stem or bars without rotating that part. 
I remember concluding I would need a new set of zipties if I wanted to swap it between bikes.  :(

The mount is same for Oregon and Dakota, and ^ that is how it works.  The cable-tie holes are quite small and re-usable ties tend to be wider.  I just buy cable ties in bags of 100 for about £3 from the local hardware store, and always have a bundle of spares in my cycle luggage.

As I see it, the problem with stem-mounting these models is that it is very useful to be able to adjust the angle while riding, to get the best out of the rather difficult screen visibility.  This can only be done if you bar-mount, not stem-mount.  I found that the Dakota screen benefited greatly from being angled somewhat towards me (so that the surface layer is reflecting my body back at me, and not the sky).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll