Author Topic: New 7" tablet recommendations please  (Read 368 times)

New 7" tablet recommendations please
« on: 15 April, 2024, 10:00:03 am »
I've had a Nexus 7 for many years and it's been very good.  But following an unintended dip in the washing up water it now boots up but then immediately boots up over and over again untill it gets fed up and informs me the UI is not running.  So I am on the lookout for a new replacement.

Any recommendations, nothing special, no super high end stuff just a 7" tablet that runs basic Android.

Thanks

Re: New 7" tablet recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2024, 10:35:21 am »
Not 7", but I've got a Xiomi Pad 10 that is very good

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2024, 07:11:35 pm »
Seems small tablets have mostly disappeared.
The Alldocube iPlay 50 Mini (8") is getting some good reviews. It is available for about £100 on Aliexpress.

« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2024, 08:08:07 pm »
Based upon my experience of doing something very similar I would say leave your tablet in an airy space for a few weeks. I couldn't get mine going and so after a few days I sent it away to be repaired. It was left in the repairer's place over Christmas and New Year and then they asked me what the problem was as it worked perfectly. It is not certain yours will work but it might, given time to completely dry out.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2024, 08:37:34 pm »
I'm impressed that a Nexus 7 is still useful for anything.  Mine got retired from active service due to software bloat many years ago, and then at some point it refused to charge.

IME the jump to 10" is well worth it in terms of a proper web browsing experience.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2024, 11:06:43 am »
Phones have caught up. A Google Pixel 8 pro has a 6.7" screen. Pricy, but probably the closest modern equivalen to a Nexus 7.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2024, 11:41:27 am »
Phones have caught up. A Google Pixel 8 pro has a 6.7" screen. Pricy, but probably the closest modern equivalen to a Nexus 7.

At a sillier aspect ratio, thobut.  The width of phones being limited to about 75mm in order to fit in an ISO-standard man-hand, so they're getting taller and taller to compensate.  Which does make using an onscreen keyboard in portrait mode a bit more practical, but isn't quite enough for a normal web browsing experience[1].

I have an ageing 10" Samsung tablet, with a 4:3 screen.  I reckon this is optimal for being genuinely useful in either orientation.  16:9 or more is only good if you're holding it one-handed or mostly watch video.

[1] Although the web isn't what it was in 2013.  Half the websites are designed to be viewed on a fondleslab, to the detriment of the Proper Computer experience.

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 07:31:11 pm »
Sorry been away finishing a floor!

I'm impressed that a Nexus 7 is still useful for anything.

Apart from a cracked screen from years ago the Nexus was working fine.  Occasionally would hang but generally very well behaved.

Based upon my experience of doing something very similar I would say leave your tablet in an airy space for a few weeks. It is not certain yours will work but it might, given time to completely dry out.

Thanks, it's back in the airing cupboard now.

Will keep an eye out for those tablets mentioned, probably a 10" (4:3) would be the way to go.