General Category > Rides and Touring

Cycling across the USA

(1/9) > >>

Oscar's dad:
Just an idle enquiry at the moment...

I'm thinking of riding across America, perhaps in 2023.  I fancy Route 66 from west to east then Adventure Cycling's Chicago to New York route .

The provisional, very loose plan is that I'd take 4 months starting in May and my wife would fly out a couple of times to meet me so in total I'd probably have 4 weeks off the bike during the 4 months.  As I said, the plan is very loose at the moment.

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience, ideas, suggestions?  Thanks in advance  :-*

Cudzoziemiec:
My immediate thought is that Route 66 west to east is anti-canonical.  ;) And that whichever way you ride it, you'll probably meet some "interesting" (and some interesting) characters on it.

Oscar's dad:

--- Quote from: Cudzoziemiec on 15 November, 2021, 10:53:11 am ---My immediate thought is that Route 66 west to east is anti-canonical.  ;) And that whichever way you ride it, you'll probably meet some "interesting" (and some interesting) characters on it.

--- End quote ---

If you mean that Route 66 is traditionally travelled east to west as it was the route taken by folks travelling west to find a better life then you're spot on.  But the perceived wisdom is that west to east takes advantage of prevailing winds.  In fact I remember reading an account of a couple attempting to ride west and they had a nightmare with wind (as do I on occasion  ;D )

robgul:
Don't want to a damper on the plan but I think the vast distances of nothing will be pretty boring . . . driving in a car is pretty tedious outside of the big cities.

If I was thinking of a US cycling jaunt I'd probably do the Pacific Highway, north to south.  (IIRC Charlotte OTP did this some years ago?)

psyclist:
I know you were not keen on the Tour Divide route when I suggested it, but how about the Eastern Divide? It is flatter than it's western cousin, and has 5500 miles of variety.

https://bikepacking.com/plan/introducing-the-eastern-divide-trail/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version