Author Topic: Fenland Friends 600km 25/06/2022  (Read 7026 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Fenland Friends 600km 25/06/2022
« on: 20 May, 2022, 11:50:28 am »
Normal service is resumed (almost): a basic  breakfast at the start, all commercial controls bar just the one info control, and a pub finish. You'll maybe twice meet riders on Yorkshire via Essex (Flatlands Reversed) 600km, which starts from Sleaford. The only glitch this year is that there's a wedding at St Mary's so the car park can't be used. (Understandably, there's a bit of a wedding backlog!)

It's a PBP 'pre-qualifier' as it's a BRM event, so is proving popular. Currently standing at 75 entries - I'll close it when we get to 100 and start a waiting list.

As flat as ever, (my helpers and I will check to make sure the weekend before!), lots of 24-hour McDonalds and garages, a few Wetherspoons too, with more cabbages and other vegetables, lazy rivers and drains than you'll see anywhere else in Britain. And probably a hideously exposed head-windy stage or two at some point. Current info and routesheet on the AUK website with GPS tracks available at tomsk.co.uk nearer the time.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
Re: Fenland Friends 600km 25/06/2022
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2022, 07:04:33 pm »
My in person work trips to That London have resumed and pleasingly will allow my participation in this event.

I'll be heading by train from London to this event (heading out Friday mid afternoon, back Monday mid morning)

Having gone via Bishops Stortford and Braintree before with varying degrees of enjoyment I think I'll give Elsenham a try this time for a 16km pootle. 

I booked the Prem Inn Canwick for the Saturday night ages ago, so will probably add in a small deviation to check in around the 200km mark and return at 370km or so. 

Staying at the Travelodge Friday night which Im sure may feature a few fellow participants - might venture up to the Angel & Harp for dinner.     

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2022, 09:57:56 pm »

I'll be heading by train from London to this event (heading out Friday mid afternoon, back Monday mid morning)

Having gone via Bishops Stortford and Braintree before with varying degrees of enjoyment I think I'll give Elsenham a try this time for a 16km pootle.   

I've taken the Stansted Express a few times for Tom's events. That's a very short ride to Gt Dunmow. Officially, bikes aren't allowed but I've never been stopped.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

John Stonebridge

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2022, 10:33:17 pm »

I've taken the Stansted Express a few times for Tom's events. That's a very short ride to Gt Dunmow. Officially, bikes aren't allowed but I've never been stopped.

interesting thanks.  I'll give that a try as plan A and if I get hooked I can always fall back on the officially permitted options. 

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 10 June, 2022, 10:02:49 am »
Filling up fast! I can cope with a few over the 100 planned for, given a typical 20-30% DNS rate, but may have to close the event earlier than the nominal 18th June cut-off. In that eventuality, I'll start a waiting list to fill the advance DNS notifications as they come in.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2022, 10:17:41 am »
We'll be testing the routesheet and GPS, looking out for changes, road closures and any other issues on a Helpers' Ride next weekend. The GPS tracks and last-minute information will go out in the week before the event.

felstedrider

« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2022, 09:33:55 am »
As of last Saturday I have completed 99,400km of Audax events over the last 30 years.

This means Fenland Friends will complete by Randonneur 100,000, should all go to plan.   I'm not sure what everyone's schedule looks like but I have an overnight stop so will be having a gentle ride back on Sunday.   I'll be riding between Red Lodge and the Arrivee between probably 14:00 and 17:00.   If anyone wants to share a drink and old stories I'll likely be knocking around the garden at the A&H afterwards.

Rob

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2022, 10:04:48 am »
My ride plan is: ride and stop when I get sleepy wherever that may be.

I'll try to wait around in dunmow if I'm back before you :thumbsup:
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2022, 10:09:25 am »
Hopefully HK and I will reach the arrivee while you are still there. Hitting that milestone is worth a free beer (or whatever) IMHO.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #9 on: 14 June, 2022, 07:55:10 am »
Well. I'm down for it. On paper.

I haven't been on the recumbent since LWL400 in April 2019......so we'll have to see how it goes.
First thing is to see if I can stay upright on it.

Looks like the helpers ride is going to be thirsty work!
Garry Broad

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2022, 01:56:20 pm »
I am going to attempt to cycle from Lowestoft to Great Dunmow as train assist options are very limited at that time of the morning and I don't want to spend more than £50 for a hotel stop for 3 or 4 hours sleep plus train fares. I think I will get the train home though.

Hopefully I can find someone to tag along with at the start for some moral support and to keep me awake until the sun rises and brings the warmth back to the earth. Also, quite happy to stop at ALL of the Whetherpoons and McDs on the route as per usual.  ;D

Only need a 400km to complete the SR this year, so the mental battle is to get to the start.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #11 on: 15 June, 2022, 03:58:11 pm »
There's a train strike next week -21/23/25 June - so expect very restricted Greater Anglia services, perhaps into the Sunday as well

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #12 on: 16 June, 2022, 11:44:04 am »
I'll look out for you Gary.  You rode it the last time I rode it as I remember (mumble years ago).
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #13 on: 16 June, 2022, 02:56:14 pm »
I'll look out for you Gary.  You rode it the last time I rode it as I remember (mumble years ago).
That would be 2015 PBP year....[that was the last last 600km for me]
I have a memory of you locked in a loving embrace with the grass verge somewhere on the way back to Dunmow Sunday afternoon.
And I think we dined at Weatherspoons in Spalding.
Living the dream :-)
Garry Broad

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #14 on: 17 June, 2022, 09:40:23 am »
That would be 2015 PBP year....[that was the last last 600km for me]
I have a memory of you locked in a loving embrace with the grass verge somewhere on the way back to Dunmow Sunday afternoon.
And I think we dined at Weatherspoons in Spalding.
Living the dream :-)
That makes it my last 600 also, if you discount the DNFs which I do.  I shamelessly knobbled fboab for a lift to a station afterwards.
I have it as the green welly, before I diverted to my friend in Earith.  But perhaps it was both.  Alas she's too early in the ride for a visit during this reversed version.
I have no recollection of any loving embrace  :'(
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 19 June, 2022, 06:55:54 pm »
Helpers' ride and route check done. Some alterations to GPS, control information and routesheet needed. AUK website updated and GPS links plus extra info being emailed out tomorrow.

Next week's forecast is looking pretty much standard for Fenland Friends: moderate temperatures, tailwind out, headwind back. Unlike the freaky heatwave/winter's last blast we've just had!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 20 June, 2022, 03:45:25 pm »
Info, routesheet and links to tippers' gps tracks (many thanks!) mailed this morning. If anyone is missing anything, let me know.

« Reply #17 on: 20 June, 2022, 06:53:50 pm »
Hey Tom, is there any chance of you have gpx of the route split up at all?

« Reply #18 on: 20 June, 2022, 09:35:29 pm »
Hey Tom, is there any chance of you have gpx of the route split up at all?
This Link should take you to the folders. Folder 2_Legs should be what you are after.

I think the was included in the mail as well but let me know if any issues.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #19 on: 20 June, 2022, 10:01:42 pm »
That link works for me and shows the gpx files for each segment as well, which is great and is what I'll be using. Great work, many thanks :thumbsup:

(Just as an aside I see the gpx files don't contain elevation data, which isn't a major issue but they always takes a lot longer to load the route onto my Etrex, as it is working out the elevation from it's own base map. I'll add elevation myself using https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else likes having elevation in the file too.)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #20 on: 21 June, 2022, 06:11:17 am »
That link works for me and shows the gpx files for each segment as well, which is great and is what I'll be using. Great work, many thanks :thumbsup:

(Just as an aside I see the gpx files don't contain elevation data, which isn't a major issue but they always takes a lot longer to load the route onto my Etrex, as it is working out the elevation from it's own base map. I'll add elevation myself using https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else likes having elevation in the file too.)
That's noted, hadn't thought of the extra loading time. I'll keep that Elevation data in going forward.

« Reply #21 on: 21 June, 2022, 06:10:54 pm »
Great, thank you

John Stonebridge

« Reply #22 on: 22 June, 2022, 10:40:45 am »
Keeping an eye on the weather before I make anything resembling a firm plan. 

The idea of a booked hotel appeals, but it makes for a long Sunday and I like the idea of finishing before 6pm more than a bed.  I also need to be back in London Sunday night somehow. 

If Im reasonably certain that it will remain dry I'll probably just aim to get to 400km with the minimum of faffing and and then dawdle the last 200km with 40 winks as required al fresco hopefully once its warmed up.   

« Reply #23 on: 22 June, 2022, 11:15:50 am »
I fear I'm going to have to DNS.  Wife unavoidably away on urgent family stuff in Germany means I'll be entertaining our 5yo daughter.  She usually enjoys a ride on the the tagalong but I expect 600km would be a touch too far.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: 23 June, 2022, 08:06:31 pm »
Keeping an eye on the weather before I make anything resembling a firm plan. 

The idea of a booked hotel appeals, but it makes for a long Sunday and I like the idea of finishing before 6pm more than a bed.  I also need to be back in London Sunday night somehow. 

If Im reasonably certain that it will remain dry I'll probably just aim to get to 400km with the minimum of faffing and and then dawdle the last 200km with 40 winks as required al fresco hopefully once its warmed up.

I don't know how many times I've ridden Fenland Friends/Flatlands/Flatliner 600km, but the one time I had a Premier Inn stop (at Gainsborough on a Flatliner riding round the 'normal' way last year, on Fenland Friends day), I enjoyed Day Two very much more than usual, and we weren't actually out that much longer. On last weekend's helpers' ride we briefly considered stowing overnight kit behind the 'ACME' bus shelter for use on the return, but considered the risk of getting dozy and needing an Audax Hotel sooner rather than later was too great a risk.