Author Topic: shoes for long rides  (Read 3793 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
shoes for long rides
« on: 15 July, 2022, 12:02:01 pm »
I hesitate to ask because I might get 10 responses with 12 different suggestions. But I'm looking for SPD (2  bolt) shoes which will be comfortable for a long day in the saddle.

Any recommendations?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
Re: shoes for long rides
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2022, 12:35:29 pm »
Ive used Shimano "touring" shoes on any number of 200k rides and I think I may have even done a 400km using them.

Not purchased a pair recently but I think these as the latest iteration of them.  https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Shimano/MT3-Touring-Shoes/OO33?gclid=CjwKCAjwoMSWBhAdEiwAVJ2nduNeeFq2pnFoqYQMf4xY_5-4TuCAhH7AwKkJvhwFk4Pdy7qvixFwMxoCrNAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Heavy yes but comfortable both on and off the bike, not silly expensive and warm enough in Autumn/Winter to render overshoes essential only on the very coldest days.  I have two pairs and the older pair must be 12 years old and still going strong. 

Somebody will be along soon to suggest sandals...... :o   

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2022, 12:37:31 pm »

And another to point out that some people manage just fine on 600km+ rides without clipless of any kind...

I don't have anything useful to add to the discussion. Sorry.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2022, 02:19:01 pm »
Ive used Shimano "touring" shoes on any number of 200k rides and I think I may have even done a 400km using them.

Not purchased a pair recently but I think these as the latest iteration of them.  https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Shimano/MT3-Touring-Shoes/OO33?gclid=CjwKCAjwoMSWBhAdEiwAVJ2nduNeeFq2pnFoqYQMf4xY_5-4TuCAhH7AwKkJvhwFk4Pdy7qvixFwMxoCrNAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Heavy yes but comfortable both on and off the bike, not silly expensive and warm enough in Autumn/Winter to render overshoes essential only on the very coldest days.  I have two pairs and the older pair must be 12 years old and still going strong. 

I've never had any trouble with any shoes on a 200 or 300, but recently on a couple of 600s I did have foot pain on day 2. It seems that anything causing a problem on day 2, is going to be hellish on day 5 of LEL. (I suppose I should have qualified long distance)

That said I never had any issues on PBP, so it could be a case of back to shimano, even though the are heavier than other options, and I was hoping for a dial, rather than laces. Those shoes look fine (except lace up), thanks for the link.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2022, 02:40:04 pm »
I was hoping for a dial, rather than laces.

From my personal experience, the BOA closures themselves don't make any difference to comfort. Although they are easier to adjust on the move (eg to account for feet swelling in the heat).

I used elasticated laces in my running shoes - no reason I can think of why you shouldn't use elasticated laces for cycling shoes (for general road riding). I would, except all my cycling shoes have velcro or BOA closures.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2022, 02:57:32 pm »
I found the Lake MX301 (or whatever they were in 2012) worked great for LEL 13, PBP 15 etc before they died.  Key was a very stiff carbon sole in my opinion.  But they are expensive and I only had a pair as got them in a sale for £100.  I have started wearing SPD sandals on recumbent this year, since last shoes died. Only used up to 400km so far.

A key on events such as LEL is also taking off your shoes at every opportunity, when stopped more than a few mins etc. This will be enforced at controls, but it helps prevent (or relieve) hot foot over the 5 days. I can recommend taking shoes off and dipping feet in cold water as well if heatwave.

Having it looser at toe end and tighter round ankle can also help as can one size (EU) larger than you think you need. I often think foot discomfort is related to the feet swelling as for me is usually when it’s hot as well as longer duration.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2022, 04:42:58 pm »

« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2022, 05:19:36 pm »
I have been wearing Shimano RX8 Gravel racing shoes on some recent long rides , up to 600K.
They are a fairly tight fit but comfortable once you get them worn in a bit.
If you wear thick socks , I would go up a continental size compared with usual. I am size 44 and they are very snug compared with my Sidi's .
They are also very stiff but O.K for walking in. Not had any complaints so far but not really tested in the wet.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Shimano/RX8-SPD-Gravel-Cycling-Shoes/ODAP?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&co=GBR&cu=GBP&glCountry=GB&id=1137042&ds_eid=700000001845766&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=UK_EN_Profit_Google_Shopping_All+Users_Softgoods-Footwear&ds_cid=71700000096706252&ds_ag=Footwear&ds_agid=58700007894748027&ds_k=PRODUCT_GROUP&ds_kid=92700071694100428&ds_kids=p71694100428&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy8-Ox6T7-AIVkMLtCh1nFQDjEAQYASABEgL9HPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

« Reply #8 on: 15 July, 2022, 06:51:19 pm »
I get on well with Specialized Body Geometry shoes, I've had several pairs in different styles, SPD and flats, and they all seem to be a fit that suits me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 15 July, 2022, 08:41:55 pm »
And another to point out that some people manage just fine on 600km+ rides without clipless of any kind...

My whole Audax career was in Ecco Soft walking/working shoes & toe clips, sometimes with platform pedals...

« Reply #10 on: 15 July, 2022, 08:49:40 pm »
I find that I’m more comfortable using either custom or after- market footbeds, rather than the ones that come with the shoes.

« Reply #11 on: 16 July, 2022, 10:42:14 am »
Everyone has different feet and therefore have different shoes to fit.  My advice would be to find a retailer with lots of different makes of shoes and try them on.

OK, the proof of the pudding will only come on a long ride.

From personal experience, I never got on with any of the Shimano range and it started to become a costly game until I finally settled on Sidi Dragon SPD's which I have been using for many years without any problems.  Not particularly cheap though.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #12 on: 18 July, 2022, 09:26:12 am »
I was hoping for a dial, rather than laces.

From my personal experience, the BOA closures themselves don't make any difference to comfort. Although they are easier to adjust on the move (eg to account for feet swelling in the heat).

I used elasticated laces in my running shoes - no reason I can think of why you shouldn't use elasticated laces for cycling shoes (for general road riding). I would, except all my cycling shoes have velcro or BOA closures.

That's good to hear, I was wondering if the boa type closure was part of the problem. I want the dial for convenience (not comfort), as my laces have always had a tendency to come undone. Although one of the cables on my northwave shoes has recently snapped and dealing with that is far less convenient than replacing a lace.

« Reply #13 on: 18 July, 2022, 12:07:19 pm »
Velco straps. No flapping laces, easy & quick to adjust on the move, nothing to go wrong like a dial.

« Reply #14 on: 18 July, 2022, 02:12:35 pm »
Everyone has different feet and therefore have different shoes to fit.  My advice would be to find a retailer with lots of different makes of shoes and try them on.

OK, the proof of the pudding will only come on a long ride.

From personal experience, I never got on with any of the Shimano range and it started to become a costly game until I finally settled on Sidi Dragon SPD's which I have been using for many years without any problems.  Not particularly cheap though.

I too discovered many years ago that my feet are Sidi-shaped. Yours may or may not be. The only solution is to try lots of different makes.

Two tips with shoes on long rides:
1. Take them off at every opportunity. Even if your feet feel fine. This will keep them feeling fine.
2. Sorbothane insoles. Or even two pairs if you can fit them in without squashing your feet. These remove a lot of the pressure points which become apparent on a long ride.

« Reply #15 on: 18 July, 2022, 02:15:09 pm »
If the weight of the shimano touring shoes is a concern I’ve use wiggle own brand DHB lace up shoes for 200’s.  They’re a lot lighter but pretty plasticy which might be an issue in hot conditions.  I like them a lot.  I used my old shimano touring ones for ages but god they stank in the end.   

The DHB ones will too but they were only 40quid when I got them else I’d have for another shimano pair. 

« Reply #16 on: 18 July, 2022, 03:49:38 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Upgraded last year as previous Shimano’s wore out..
Shimano RX8 Highly recommended.. light & breathable with good fit. Look ace too  :D

« Reply #17 on: 18 July, 2022, 05:21:47 pm »
I use Fizik Terra X5s. They look smart and don't weigh much. I've done several rides between 140-275km on them and had no issues, except for a tiny stitching fault on one of the shoes that rubbed on the size of my foot after 6 days of long riding. I should probably have sent them back but it's no longer an issue now after bedding them in more.

They're a bit hard to source at the moment though.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #18 on: 19 July, 2022, 08:56:50 pm »
I had problems with a BOA fitting which seized after a long wet Audax.  I have narrow feet, which seems to be the opposite of nearly everyone on this forum, in the UK, so the brands I like probably won't help.  What I do as a routine on events of 300km or more, is take my shoes off when I get to a control and allow the feet to breathe.   

The other thing that makes a difference for me is socks.  I use Bridgedale inner walking socks for hot days, which again help with the feet breathing.  On long events where its going to be wet, I tend to carry a spare pair of socks so that I can have dry feet at least briefly.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #19 on: 19 July, 2022, 09:09:32 pm »
In my audax days i used Shimano sandals which were great. Not sure they make them any more
If anyone wants to make me an offer for them, size 9, i use them rarely now, I'd seen them
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #20 on: 20 July, 2022, 11:40:42 am »
Definitely worth trying some insoles before completely new shoes.

I have some Bontrager & Specialized ones for high-arch support. Both are good, I can't go back to the flat stock ones now.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #21 on: 28 July, 2022, 08:10:29 am »
Definitely worth trying some insoles before completely new shoes.

I have some Bontrager & Specialized ones for high-arch support. Both are good, I can't go back to the flat stock ones now.

I have changed to these insoles from SIDAS. I have found them much better than Specialized.

https://www.sidas.com/en/cycling-insoles/143-bike-plus.html

They have better arch support and have that button thing that stops (or claims to) hot foot.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #22 on: 01 August, 2022, 03:13:26 pm »
Velco straps. No flapping laces, easy & quick to adjust on the move, nothing to go wrong like a dial.

my sealskinz gloves disagree - the velcro part came detached from the strap it was stitched too.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #23 on: 01 August, 2022, 05:50:08 pm »

Typically the same who have a long list of tales of getting a card stamped 2 minutes before the control closes...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 09 August, 2022, 03:49:36 pm »
Typically the same who have a long list of tales of getting a card stamped 2 minutes before the control closes...

I might have been a full-value rider. I really don't think this was due to my lack of SPDs...