Author Topic: shoes for long rides  (Read 3800 times)

Re: shoes for long rides
« Reply #25 on: 09 August, 2022, 05:31:41 pm »
:thumbsup:
Upgraded last year as previous Shimano’s wore out..
Shimano RX8 Highly recommended.. light & breathable with good fit. Look ace too  :D
Yeah, I went for the RX8 because they're essentially a high end road shoe you can walk in. Jury is still out on the BOA system on longer rides for me; I really liked the velcro of my old shoes, often I'd ride with a strap or two completely undone as my feet changed shape over time.

« Reply #26 on: 14 August, 2022, 01:38:17 pm »
Just done LEL wearing the  Shimano RX8 with SPD pedals .
No foot pain but some pressure effects , which is common for me on ultra long rides. It goes away after a few weeks.
No problem walking up hills.
Some riders were using SPD-SL or Look cleats and wore them out whilst walking up some of the steeper hills.
Result was that the cleats would not engage with the pedals.

A friend of mine also recommends the Lake Gravel shoe.

« Reply #27 on: 14 August, 2022, 01:51:38 pm »
Velco straps. No flapping laces, easy & quick to adjust on the move, nothing to go wrong like a dial.

my sealskinz gloves disagree - the velcro part came detached from the strap it was stitched too.

Mine did the same actually but the velcro wasn't stitched to the strap just glued, so I re-glued it.

Shoe wise mine are certainly stitched and the straps have outlasted the upper; I may just remove all the mesh and make them sandals...

« Reply #28 on: 14 August, 2022, 02:20:06 pm »
Just bought a pair of RX8's (ebay second hand but as new) and first ride today.  Very comfortable.  Not sure how much walking could be done without the plastic stud things wearing down but I'm very pleased with them.  The silver camo glints nicely in the sunlight  ;D
The sound of one pannier flapping

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #29 on: 17 August, 2022, 07:55:07 am »
Thanks all, got a pair of Lakes in the end,  pretty pricey,  but nice to have shots which don't squash my little toe.  Got round LEL with no foot pain.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #30 on: 17 August, 2022, 12:45:43 pm »
I wish the wide version of the RX8 would come to Europe but alas, only for the USA. Tried both size 43 and 44, former too narrow in front, the latter too wide near the heel (my street shoes are EU42).

Have been using the Giro VR90, now with elastic laces in size 44. They're good but don't expect a glowing review because they're also expensive.

« Reply #31 on: 29 August, 2022, 05:02:51 pm »
Ive used Shimano "touring" shoes on any number of 200k rides and I think I may have even done a 400km using them.

Not purchased a pair recently but I think these as the latest iteration of them.  https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Shimano/MT3-Touring-Shoes/OO33?gclid=CjwKCAjwoMSWBhAdEiwAVJ2nduNeeFq2pnFoqYQMf4xY_5-4TuCAhH7AwKkJvhwFk4Pdy7qvixFwMxoCrNAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Heavy yes but comfortable both on and off the bike, not silly expensive and warm enough in Autumn/Winter to render overshoes essential only on the very coldest days.  I have two pairs and the older pair must be 12 years old and still going strong. 

Somebody will be along soon to suggest sandals...... :o

Another vote for the Shimano MT3 touring shoes. Very comfortable on long rides - although I have removed the laces and replaced with elastic versions which avoid any issues of flapping laces...

Image by Jason Allan, on Flickr

« Reply #32 on: 29 August, 2022, 07:15:20 pm »
If the weight of the shimano touring shoes is a concern I’ve use wiggle own brand DHB lace up shoes for 200’s.  They’re a lot lighter but pretty plasticy which might be an issue in hot conditions.  I like them a lot.  I used my old shimano touring ones for ages but god they stank in the end.   

The DHB ones will too but they were only 40quid when I got them else I’d have for another shimano pair.
I assume you're referring to the Dorica MTB shoes. I've been wearing a pair of these for a few years and have just bought replacements at £35 at the moment https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-dorica-mtb-shoe
I can highly recommend them and at this price they're definitely worth trying.