Author Topic: How does Audax make you feel?  (Read 31769 times)

Re: How does Audax make you feel?
« Reply #100 on: 20 July, 2011, 12:17:59 pm »
... a middle aged woman like me...

[Splutter!] I'm middle-aged, and I'm old enough to be your father.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #101 on: 20 July, 2011, 12:55:09 pm »
So you reckon you've lived to half the age you'll die at? Do people live that long? ;)
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #102 on: 20 July, 2011, 12:57:35 pm »
Calendar events depress the living bejeezus out of me, which is why it's probably at least 10 years since I last rode one.

I much prefer the company of myself (or a couple of others) on a permanent.

« Reply #103 on: 20 July, 2011, 01:31:29 pm »

Well only just LOL! if I'm not middle aged then WTF am I at 40?  ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #104 on: 20 July, 2011, 01:40:38 pm »

You're not quite old enough to legally become my mother, but you wouldn't be the youngest mum ever  :D

LEE

« Reply #105 on: 20 July, 2011, 01:59:54 pm »
Thought I'd revisit this thread following a superb Denmead 400 a few days ago.

Who would have thought, just 4 years ago I'd be finishing work on a Friday evening and cycling 20 miles to meet 2 friends.  20 miles is far enough on a Friday evening after work right?

Anyway, the actual purpose was to ride 250 miles after work on a friday evening, to Weston Super Mare and then back, leaving my 2 friends and riding 20 miles back home.

We got to ride down Cheddar Gorge at 3am, in total dark and silence, the gorge belonged to us.
We got to Weston at 5am and had the town to ourselves (OK, it would have been better if a cafe was open) and then we got to ride back home, past Glastonbury and some stunning scenery in beautiful sunshine.  Back home at 5pm on Saturday.

I hadn't missed much, apart from shopping and a bit of DIY, but I'd managed an overnight 250 mile adventure with good friends.

Superb.

Audax makes that possible.

You see I have a "base distance" (everyone has one).  It's the distance you can cycle without major preparation and worry.
For most British Humans I reckon it's about 10 miles.  Ask someone who doesn't cycle to go on a ride of 11 miles and they may start to get a bit edgy.  They'll start getting concerned about saddle comfort, asking "why do we need to cycle so far?" and "what's the point?" , "we'll fall off the edge" and so on.

5 years ago my base distance was 100km.  If someone had asked me, on a Sunday morning, to go for 100km ride then I'd have been OK, but a 200km?  no way, that was a serious undertaking.

Audax has given me the ability to ride "forever".  My base distance is now quite easily 300km and, if you discount the impact to family life, 400 or maybe 600.  Yes, I think that I could now enter a "normal" (non Wessex) 600 without any real worries now. I'd be sore at the end but I'd be confident about getting around in time.

So Audax makes me feel like a pretty damned accomplished cyclist, that I could set off on a 400 mile weekend ride with just a saddlebag of sandwiches and some baselayers, with just a few hours notice.

Lance Armstrong, over the last 5 years has become a worse and worse cyclist.  I, at 45, got better and better.  Thanks Audax.
Note.  Lance is probably still slighty better than me (but not as much as he was 5 years ago)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #106 on: 20 July, 2011, 02:01:07 pm »

And to answer the subject: I do it for the endorphins.

I misread that as "I do it for the dolphins".  :o

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

LEE

« Reply #107 on: 20 July, 2011, 02:10:10 pm »

That was a different question: "Audax, what's the Porpoise?"

« Reply #108 on: 20 July, 2011, 02:14:21 pm »

That was a different question: "Audax, what's the Porpoise?"

To have a whale of a time.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #109 on: 20 July, 2011, 02:19:12 pm »
You see I have a "base distance" (everyone has one).  It's the distance you can cycle without major preparation and worry.
For most British Humans I reckon it's about 10 miles.  Ask someone who doesn't cycle to go on a ride of 11 miles and they may start to get a bit edgy.  They'll start getting concerned about saddle comfort, asking "why do we need to cycle so far?" and "what's the point?" , "we'll fall off the edge" and so on.

Wise words.  I tend to think of anything less than 50km as not really counting, as you can do it without food.  100km or so is a bike ride (bring a sandwich).  200km is doable, but requires proper CAKE and planning.  Any more than that is crazy shit that'll have you running on frijj and ginsters, sleeping in ditches, hallucinating hedgehogs and stuff, and is generally best left to hardcore audax types.

(Feel free to quote this post back to me in a couple of years time for comic effect.)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #110 on: 20 July, 2011, 02:21:25 pm »

Being barely younger than you, your comment make me feel middle age!

Wise words.  I tend to think of anything less than 50km as not really counting, as you can do it without food.  100km or so is a bike ride (bring a sandwich).  200km is doable, but requires proper CAKE and planning.  Any more than that is crazy shit that'll have you running on frijj and ginsters, sleeping in ditches, hallucinating hedgehogs and stuff, and is generally best left to hardcore audax types.

(Feel free to quote this post back to me in a couple of years time for comic effect.)

Na, 300 from your doorstep is just a long ride!

Anything longer requires logistics.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #111 on: 20 July, 2011, 06:41:10 pm »
I'm glad Lee resuscitated this thread; I'd not seen it before. Fascinating read and a real insight into Audaxing.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #112 on: 20 July, 2011, 09:06:57 pm »
This

Jealous when anno domini and its associated malfunctions means that 200+ is a thing of the past.

and this

Truth be told, a walk past my front door is a thing of the past

makes me feel fortunate that I am able to undertake an audax ride which will generate a host of emotions before,during & after the event.

Thanks to Grandad & HM for paving the way

9 months later I'm approaching the stage where a 200km ride is not a frightening prospect (I hope this is not the kissofdeath) & undertaken without too much faff.*In fact I'm looking around for an easy first 300km audax :o

*I still feel creamcrackered at the end of a 200 but at the time of the original post that's how I felt at the end of a 100km ride.

« Reply #113 on: 20 July, 2011, 09:18:05 pm »
Sometimes when I read the posts of some of the more experienced audaxers,I am in awe,but when I get to meet you in real life I realize,you are only normal people.The only difference is you have done the big rides and I haven't.To me Audax is all about pushing myself out of the comfort zone.The stronger more positive me overcoming my weaker self.This year my challenge is to ride 5x200km.If I can do that I will try a SR next year.Sometimes it feels like my cycling is the one thing that I am in control of in life.Its nice to know I am in good company.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #114 on: 20 July, 2011, 09:33:42 pm »
Sometimes when I read the posts of some of the more experienced audaxers,I am in awe,but when I get to meet you in real life I realize,you are only normal people.

I know several folk who would dispute that assertion ;D

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #115 on: 20 July, 2011, 09:34:32 pm »
Sometimes it feels like my cycling is the one thing that I am in control of in life.Its nice to know I am in good company.

Actually, it's pretty clear that some folk on here can't control their cycling at all, they're hopeless addicts.

Anyway, I'm doing a DIY 200 this Sunday, anyone want to come along?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

AndyH

« Reply #116 on: 20 July, 2011, 09:52:27 pm »
Sometimes when I read the posts of some of the more experienced audaxers,I am in awe,but when I get to meet you in real life I realize,you are only normal people.

Normal is subjective. But on my 1st 600 10 months ago I described similar feelings of awe to a distinguished AUKer, who told me that all his experience meant was that he'd struggled round more long rides than I had. 

LindaG

« Reply #117 on: 20 July, 2011, 11:08:00 pm »

Normal is subjective. But on my 1st 600 10 months ago I described similar feelings of awe to a distinguished AUKer, who told me that all his experience meant was that he'd struggled round more long rides than I had.

Something experienced AUKers seem to have in common - modesty.  One of the things I like best.  When you're as accomplished as those guys, you don't need to make a noise about it.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #118 on: 21 July, 2011, 07:32:21 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oG2ixYJ79iE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/oG2ixYJ79iE&rel=1</a>

Yup, the Arrivee is the place to be!

Woof! Embedded Youtube is back!

« Reply #119 on: 21 July, 2011, 08:16:32 am »
I would like to change my post.You are not normal.You are, how can I put this?...A bit eccentric.

The Mechanic

« Reply #120 on: 21 July, 2011, 09:05:27 am »
Over the past three years I have gone from being able to do a reasonable hilly 200 in 10 hours and feeling fine at the end to struggling to complete one at all.  I have either DNF'd of DNS every audax I have entered this year for one reason or another.  Its a bit depressing.  I am now at the stage that I am fretting in the days before an audax whether I will actually be able to complete it or not.  One thing that I have observed is that, when I have DNF'd, it has always been becasue I was knackered an did not have the will to carry on.  I have never been out of time when I packed and never packed because I was out of time.  Maybe it is a bit in my head.

In almost every audax I have completed I have been the tail ender.  Everyone else seems to be super fit and storm round in no time and I usually end up riding most of the audax on my own and get embarrassed that I am keeping the controler up all night.  I think that might be the root of the problem.  I go out regularly now with the local CTC and we always stick together.  This makes the ride a lot more enjoyable for me.  However, on the occasion when I have completed an audax, I feel like a million dollars even if I am totally knackered.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #121 on: 21 July, 2011, 07:24:34 pm »
I usually end up riding most of the audax on my own

me too

Chris S

« Reply #122 on: 21 July, 2011, 08:42:44 pm »
FWIW - riding alone on an audax isn't that unusual.

I have been almost last on an audax (Midland Super Grimpeur 300) and spent a lot of time on my own - either through choice (miserable bugger mode) or because I'm in a bubble between other riders.
I have been first back on a 200 (Garboldisham 200, a couple of weeks ago) and spent a great deal of time on my own.
Most of the time I'm mid field. Sometimes I ride with others - usually by design - but equally I can spend a whole day on my own.

We are all on our own rides. Together. This leads to randomness when it comes to Company. It's what audax is about.

« Reply #123 on: 21 July, 2011, 08:53:17 pm »
I have been almost last on an audax (Midland Super Grimpeur 300) and spent a lot of time on my own

You were only 3rd last! I think I rode the entire second half of that ride on my own, and chunks of the first half too.

I regularly do long stints on Audaxes on my own, it gives me time to clear my head of day to day rubbish and think about some important stuff.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #124 on: 22 July, 2011, 11:41:24 am »
I usually end up riding most of the audax on my own

me too

You don't need to be at the back of the pack to ride an audax on your own.  Stop for a pee and you can end riding in the audax bubble until the next control.  That's why I carry a wee mp3 player in my saddle bag to make solo riding a bit less dull.