Author Topic: How does Audax make you feel?  (Read 31884 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: How does Audax make you feel?
« Reply #50 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:36:33 pm »
Dirty.

Serious answer:

How I feel about an audax depends on the ride. I'll feel different after a leisurely 100 km in good company compared to a solo DIY 300.

On the longer distances (>300 km) I enjoy getting into a routine of riding, focusing on the next instruction and thinking about my next target, be that a certain junction or a control. At that time nothing else in the world really matters and the crap from the week can be forgotten. In the past I've equated it how one may feel during meditation and the sense of peace increases with the length of the ride. Of course there are black moments, but I don't focus on these parts of the ride. After the ride I enjoy the sense of achievement, and also the disbelieve when people ask what you did at the weekend. It's nice doing things that people believe are impossible.

Audax also gives me a chance to see new parts of the world, and also at silly times. Cycling along at dusk or night is a fantastic experience as one can see the world from a different perspective. Of course one could do this without riding an audax, but recently a lot of my othernight rides have been on audax rides.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #51 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:42:45 pm »
2. I've rarely done an audax in which I haven't thought "Why the bloody hell are we going this way? There are much nicer roads over there!" OK, I know you are allowed to choose your route between controls, but see point 1 above.

you're only going to suffer from that if you only ever do audaxes in an area that you know well.
I use it as an incentive to get to and ride round a part of the country i might not normally go round

Actually, that's not quite so.

A couple of years ago I completed the Anfractuous. Only it wasn't. In order to be sure of being in within the time we were given the option of sticking to the A road from Henley to Marlow (I think). I took that option and completed the ride in my fastest time ever for a 200, but in order to do so I had to bounce controls, was unable to ride with people I know well and whose company I enjoy because I'm too slow. I'd catch them up at a café where they would be enjoying a leisurely coffee, I'd bolt some food and a drink and bugger off quick only for them to catch me up about half an hour later, leave me behind and we'd repeat the process at the next control.

The problem with Audax is that the most audacious - those think long and hard about entering because they know how tough it's going to be and who complete the ride but find it such hard work that they are out of time - are rewarded with a DNF. Or a benevolent controller turns a blind eye to the fact that they are a few minutes over. That's a lose-lose situation. You've worked harder than pretty well anyone else on the ride yet you don't get the satisfaction of seeing your name on the successful riders' list, or you are relying on someone to bend the rules.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #52 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:44:16 pm »
It's all about the night-riding - more specifically, the 02:00-07:00 riding.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #53 on: 06 October, 2010, 11:03:56 pm »
A bit of a challenge.

A chance to benefit from someone else's local knowledge.

A chance to ride in a new area (except that I keep doing the same events, because there are only so many Saturday Audaxes of 200km or less within striking distance).

A chance to ride with company (or to watch the company go past in ones and threes if I'm less lucky).

LEE

« Reply #54 on: 06 October, 2010, 11:08:14 pm »

The most miserable I have ever been in my entire life has been during Audaxes at that time.

I love night-riding but night-riding on an Audax means I've already spent about 15 hours in the saddle (and usually it then starts raining and/or freezing cold)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #55 on: 06 October, 2010, 11:11:37 pm »
<snip>

The problem with Audax is that the most audacious - those think long and hard about entering because they know how tough it's going to be and who complete the ride but find it such hard work that they are out of time - are rewarded with a DNF. Or a benevolent controller turns a blind eye to the fact that they are a few minutes over. That's a lose-lose situation. You've worked harder than pretty well anyone else on the ride yet you don't get the satisfaction of seeing your name on the successful riders' list, or you are relying on someone to bend the rules.
<snip>

I think that the 'most audacious' are those who think long and hard about entering because they know how tough it's going to be but still complete the ride in time despite finding it such hard work yet don't carp on about it.

I can think of a few and have a great deal of respect for them.

H

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #56 on: 07 October, 2010, 01:06:53 am »
Truth be told, a walk past my front door is a thing of the past
I feel like the man who complained that he had no shoes and then met a man who had no legs.

Thinks back to the Northampton-Southampton-Northampton 400 when I offered you a lift afterwards (which you gracefully declined).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: 07 October, 2010, 01:30:26 am »
Truth be told, a walk past my front door is a thing of the past
I feel like the man who complained that he had no shoes and then met a man who had no legs.

Thinks back to the Northampton-Southampton-Northampton 400 when I offered you a lift afterwards (which you gracefully declined).

Aaahh... my first 400; I'd been an AUK for 11 months and had achilles tendinitis...

Those were the days!

« Reply #58 on: 07 October, 2010, 07:39:27 am »
A bit of a challenge.

A chance to benefit from someone else's local knowledge.

A chance to ride in a new area

This. (Especially the first two).

« Reply #59 on: 07 October, 2010, 09:50:19 am »

A couple of years ago I completed the Anfractuous. Only it wasn't. In order to be sure of being in within the time we were given the option of sticking to the A road from Henley to Marlow

All within the rules, and some faster riders did the same out of a dislike of the lanes route.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Audax
« Reply #60 on: 07 October, 2010, 10:00:38 am »
Oh, very true. But it's the time element again. I get exactly the same feeling on one of my own rides if my ticket is valid for a specific train and I'm cutting it fine. I hate time pressure when cyclling. To Hummers: done that too.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Audax
« Reply #61 on: 07 October, 2010, 10:15:58 am »
Oh, very true. But it's the time element again. I get exactly the same feeling on one of my own rides if my ticket is valid for a specific train and I'm cutting it fine. I hate time pressure when cyclling. To Hummers: done that too.

It would appear that audax is not for you, but it's only one of a large number of cycling disciplines, none of which are going to appeal to everyone.

« Reply #62 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:30:55 am »
Audax and a dislike of time pressure when cycling are pretty much polar opposites!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Audax
« Reply #63 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:33:06 am »
To Hummers: done that too.

Good for you.

H

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #64 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:35:27 am »

The most miserable I have ever been in my entire life has been during Audaxes at that time.

I love night-riding but night-riding on an Audax means I've already spent about 15 hours in the saddle (and usually it then starts raining and/or freezing cold)

The beauty of audax is that it puts all the other pain and suffering of our comfortable lifestyles into sharp relief. The minor family agonies due to the fact that the kids haven't done their homework and you forgot to get the tea out to defrost and has anyone fixed that problem with the downstairs tap. These all become fairly minor when you've spent hours in the lashing rain, frozen on a Welsh hillside in May.

It means you can go home and actually enjoy that family stuff ;)

Owner of a languishing Langster

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #65 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:38:33 am »
Audax and a dislike of time pressure when cycling are pretty much polar opposites!

A solution to that would be to greatly improve one's cycling speed, eg by buying lighter bike, getting fitter by cycling more, or go out training with a cycling club, etc, so that you dont notice that there are any time limits (because you're normally easily  within them!) Tht's what I attempted to do, anyhow. It becomes self-filfilling, as the more (and harder) events you enter, the fitter you can become.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #66 on: 07 October, 2010, 12:37:56 pm »
I also hate being pressed for time but without the time constraints it's just a ride. It's not always possible to get enough riding in to get fit enough to easily complete the routes but I find the time constraints are part of the challenge and hence part of the fun. There comes a point though when lack of fitness makes it a chore and when that happens to me i bow out until I have more time to get on the bike again. One of most enjoyable audaxes that I have ever done was when I helped a newbie on his first 100k. We were very very slow but I think within time. The combination of a great route, good weather, pottering and his elation at finishing made it very pleasant

« Reply #67 on: 07 October, 2010, 02:55:30 pm »
I find Audax rides are a way of unwinding after a stressful weeks work and forgetting about everyday stresses. Nothing beta than going along a road on your lonesome just you and your trusty bike. Audax are also great for riding on roads that you would normally not ride on or in some caes never knew existed, audax are also a way of meeting new friends who have something in common with you. Audax can be pain bearing most of the time but it is something that i enjoy.
Climb every mountain, onwards and upwards.
Next event:- ??????

« Reply #68 on: 07 October, 2010, 03:13:37 pm »

A solution to that would be to greatly improve one's cycling speed, eg by buying lighter bike, getting fitter by cycling more, or go out training with a cycling club, etc, so that you dont notice that there are any time limits (because you're normally easily  within them!) Tht's what I attempted to do, anyhow. It becomes self-filfilling, as the more (and harder) events you enter, the fitter you can become.

This is not going to work for eveyone. Nowadays I tend to bring up the rear at audaxes. I'm fairly fit; I've got a lightweight bike that fits; I do train a bit.

However I'm not as young as I was, I work full time and it takes over 2 hours each way by bike ( I do it sometimes).  I'm happily married and would like to stay that way!
I'm also female which slows you down  ( relatively smaller heart and lungs and lower red blood cell count comparatively) a bit and doesn't do a lot for your power to weight ratio especially if you include the bike. I take about 11 to 12 hours to do a 200 and very much doubt I can go any faster - I will just settle for not going any slower!

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

Martin

« Reply #69 on: 07 October, 2010, 03:21:13 pm »

A couple of years ago I completed the Anfractuous. Only it wasn't. In order to be sure of being in within the time we were given the option of sticking to the A road from Henley to Marlow
All within the rules, and some faster riders did the same out of a dislike of the lanes route.

I've only ever done the Colstrope Lane route; it's a real grunt but a lovely route that time of year (I've also only ever done it in dry autumnal loveliness)

The Anfractuous is granted a tough 200; but if you are just on the time limit I would have thought it was even more incentive to ride a bit quicker the next time.

There are scores of flatter 200s in the region that anybody should be able to complete in time. FWIW my first 200 nealry killed me but there was only one way to feel better and that was to go out and ride more of them.

I love 200's, the perfect ride, a good hard work out lots to see and back home in time for BEER

DanialW

« Reply #70 on: 07 October, 2010, 04:21:53 pm »

I totally agree with this.

« Reply #71 on: 07 October, 2010, 04:38:44 pm »

I always try my very best not to ride between those hours

« Reply #72 on: 07 October, 2010, 04:51:47 pm »
I did Midnight Madness last year - 200k from Biggar to England and back, starting at 9pm.

One of the outstanding rides I've done - certainly for those who aren't into longer distances it's an experience you've really got to try!

« Reply #73 on: 07 October, 2010, 06:05:47 pm »
Audax - it never gets easier, you just go further.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #74 on: 07 October, 2010, 06:07:55 pm »
Audax - it never gets easier, you just go further.

Brilliant ;D
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/