Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626096 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5375 on: 21 October, 2014, 08:27:25 pm »
Ah, British Gas, when you're not sending me the wrong bill because you evidently think cubic feet is an artistic movement and not a bizarre imperial measure, you're smashing my brand new driveway wall with your clumsy driving. Now, apparently, the driver claims he didn't, but he 'hit a rock'. There are no rocks at the bottom of my driveway. It's not a fucking beach or the surface of Mars. Oh, but he didn't damage the van, she says. Well, that's nice, but it's not your van I'm worried about, it's the £200+ quid to rebuild, render, and paint the damn wall you knocked over.

« Reply #5376 on: 22 October, 2014, 09:51:15 am »
Chiltern Railways have very kindly provided a track pump built into the bike racks at my local station.

Unplanned use of the cross bike - as the commuter bike was out of action. Having deflated the cross bike's tyres for some genteel off roading, I thought I should pump them up for the, albeit brief, on-road commute.  Oh the joy of watching the track pump handle rise skyward as it tried, fairly successfully, to suck all the air out of my rear tyre, until i engage my brain and disconnected the pump.  I'm sure that's not meant to happen! :facepalm:

A mile ride home on a very squidgy rear tyre keeping my weight as forward as possible and avoiding potholes.

The only reason that this is a grumble and not a rant is that it would seem churlish to rant, when at least they'd tried, by actually providing a track pump.  ::-)
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #5377 on: 22 October, 2014, 11:26:38 am »
I hope none of said morris dancers were blacked up.  Bad karma!  Just ask The Lizard King David Cameron.
You have looked at my avatar, haven't you?
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5378 on: 22 October, 2014, 01:17:00 pm »
I love the Border Morris! 

Cameron should've just refused to have his photo taken, can he not think for himself what would be made of it?  What a div.
Milk please, no sugar.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #5379 on: 22 October, 2014, 03:50:14 pm »
Just had a phone call from a nice lady Sergeant. She's coming to pick the bike up on Friday* arternoon. If not claimed in 28 days I can have it back. :thumbsup:

Man down pub said it's not been nicked from round his way that he knows of.

*That's four bloody weeks since I first reported it ::-)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5380 on: 25 October, 2014, 11:02:23 am »
Big National chain of furniture and DIY products, If you send me nice text messages when I order saying you will text me my delivery time the evening before delivery, wouldn't it be a good idea to actually do so?

I'm now stuck waiting to see if the courier actually turns up today instead of being able to plan your delivery window into the rest of my day and be able to do other stuffs.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5381 on: 25 October, 2014, 11:18:36 am »
Just had a phone call from a nice lady Sergeant. She's coming to pick the bike up on Friday* arternoon. If not claimed in 28 days I can have it back. :thumbsup:

Man down pub said it's not been nicked from round his way that he knows of.

*That's four bloody weeks since I first reported it ::-)

You need to move to Cheshire

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31801.msg1756766#msg1756766
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5382 on: 26 October, 2014, 09:22:03 am »
Fall back: checked or adjusted 15 devices so far, still got a few to go.  Dogs clamouring at door for their 11 o'clock pee promenade. What price daylight saving versus a cracking bladder?

Simpson & Galton had it right: Lady Don't Fall Backwards.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5383 on: 26 October, 2014, 08:27:46 pm »
And the rockets' red glare,
The bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night
That our flag was still there; it's the period between Diwali and Bonfire Night.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5384 on: 26 October, 2014, 08:31:54 pm »
When I first started teaching I summed up the autumn term as "Conkers - Fireworks - Christmas".

The first two have receded in the past 40 years.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5385 on: 26 October, 2014, 10:42:48 pm »
Melted my shifter hood by leaning the bike against the radiator.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #5386 on: 27 October, 2014, 08:35:14 pm »
Dear cold germs,  please to be buggering off.  Or, if you insist on staying , please move from my ear canals to somewhere the clag can more easily drip/be expelled from.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5387 on: 27 October, 2014, 08:54:03 pm »
Dear cold germs,  please to be buggering off.  Or, if you insist on staying , please move from my ear canals to somewhere the clag can more easily drip/be expelled from.

And kindly do the same for David, who reminds me every ten minutes when he can't sleep...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5388 on: 27 October, 2014, 09:13:07 pm »
Mine appear to have migrated from my middle ears to my lungs.

« Reply #5389 on: 30 October, 2014, 08:34:05 am »
The bloke espousing this world view in an irritatingly loud voice behind me in the train carriage

I'm only getting key words but so far it's

In the last 20 mins we've had:
Smoking in pubs
Having a drink after work
Benefits
Credit
Divine right of kings
French revolution
Suffragettes
When I was young....

.... Save me....

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5390 on: 30 October, 2014, 08:36:11 am »
That's a wide spread of issues.
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5391 on: 30 October, 2014, 11:40:38 am »
Long lack of use has turned the strap of my head torch into a non-stretchy thing.  It is an annoyance to have the damn' thing slip over one's eyes when making the seventh attempt to put Tab A into Slot B while lying on the floor groping at arms' length and repeatedly tolchocking one's gulliver on the shelf supporting the Anbaric Distascope.

Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5392 on: 30 October, 2014, 11:55:05 am »
Melted my shifter hood by leaning the bike against the radiator.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

How hot are your radiators???

« Reply #5393 on: 30 October, 2014, 12:57:08 pm »
I've just worked out why my train delay compensation has gone down recently.

They've changed the calculation for season tickets, so if you have an annual ticket they assume that on average you go to work 5.5 days a week1 for 52 weeks a year. That's clearly not the calculation they use when they sell them, or no-one would buy them, but would also be completely illegal & against the WTD. I can't believe there's even one person that uses their ticket 572 times in a year2 on a long distance service, let alone it being any kind of average.

1. i.e. you go M-F every week and a weekend day once a fortnight
2. ok, maybe some lonely train buff enjoying the ride.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5394 on: 30 October, 2014, 02:02:22 pm »
Long lack of use has turned the strap of my head torch into a non-stretchy thing.  It is an annoyance to have the damn' thing slip over one's eyes when making the seventh attempt to put Tab A into Slot B while lying on the floor groping at arms' length and repeatedly tolchocking one's gulliver on the shelf supporting the Anbaric Distascope.

Bah!

We can thank the latex-allergic for that. Old elastics were made of rubber, which lasted much longer than new-fangled Lycra. Rubber does perish eventually but Lycra degrades more quickly.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5395 on: 30 October, 2014, 11:32:02 pm »
Why are bicycles banned from the P&O Liverpool-Dublin Ferry? It would be by far the most convenient way for me to get there for a tour.

« Reply #5396 on: 31 October, 2014, 10:58:40 am »
Why are bicycles banned from the P&O Liverpool-Dublin Ferry? It would be by far the most convenient way for me to get there for a tour.

I guess because they want to limit the number of "leisure" passengers - these are updated freight ferries, taking cars as freight traffic falls. They don't allow foot passengers either, so I guess "cyclists" are considered an extension to that. You could always fly Ryanair.....
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5397 on: 31 October, 2014, 11:20:19 am »
If I'm touring it will be the Holyhead-Dublin option. You can book through rail tickets from Whitehaven to Dublin for £36 I discovered. It would just be nicer to go via Liverpool rather than training it all the way to Holyhead (including changing at Crewe).

« Reply #5398 on: 31 October, 2014, 11:31:54 am »
I did realise Holyhead was an option for the ferry (Irish Ferries I guess, no more fast cat services?) but it's a right trek to get there  :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5399 on: 31 October, 2014, 12:10:11 pm »
No idea which ferries it is (Takes 3h25). I get the same option using 'Dublin Ferryport' or 'Dublin Port Stena' in nationalrail so it sould be either. Overall if I go it will be over 11 hours travelling.

Another grumble is that though there's Railsail fares for Belfast on Nationalrail, but there don't seem to be the same options for Larne. I'm thinking about riding up the coast from Dublin to Larne next March, having not been to Ireland since I was a toddler.