Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626050 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16425 on: 24 July, 2023, 10:57:56 am »
What is wrong with the people I work with?
We have five re-cycling bins in the kitchen.
Each is a different colour to the next and is marked with words and pictures of what is supposed to go in them.
So today (and every day) we have:
Glass re-cycling has blue tissue in it.
Food waste has blue tissue in it.
Plastics has blue tissue in it.
Metal has blue tissue in it.
Paper and card...... I think you can probably guess   :facepalm:

Most of it'll end up in landfill anyway.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16426 on: 24 July, 2023, 11:21:15 am »
It was a grumble from my son when he was in university halls - they had multiple recycling bins, and the cleaners would refuse to empty if they were "contaminated" with the wrong sort of waste. They were maintained seperated right up until the bin wagon turned up (which he could see from his window). All the different coloured big bins just ended up being thrown in the back of the same wagon.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #16427 on: 24 July, 2023, 11:29:28 am »
Not here in Powys, it doesn't.  The collection truck has numerous compartments in it, and it goes to a recycling centre where it is dealt with separately.  The place you can visit also includes several other categories that aren't roadside collected, such as plastic film.  Wales is generally pretty good on recycling.
Wombat

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16428 on: 24 July, 2023, 11:31:15 am »
Everything recyclable here just goes in your green bin.  Sorting is SEP.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16429 on: 24 July, 2023, 11:44:06 am »
Same here - except the bin is blue and glass does go into a separate bin.

« Reply #16430 on: 24 July, 2023, 11:45:26 am »
I live in apartment block. We have several 'paladin' large wheeled bins for domestic rubbish,
plus four similarly sized recycling bins with blue plastic tops.

What boils my piss:
I regularly see food waste like pizza boxes or ready meal containers, unwashed, in the recycling
Cardboard boxes are thrown in there and people don't bother flattening them
I often see entire bin liners, full,  in the recycling. I supect some people dont know the difference between the types of bin

In these parts of London rubbish is incinerated anyway, so I often throw Amazon cardboard and glossy paper in the rubbish to let it be burned.
I suspect cardboard and glossy paper are not in reality recycled.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #16431 on: 24 July, 2023, 12:07:46 pm »
Ah, this post is seriously valuable to me, one of the HoH'ers that can't get folk to make any allowances for me, as they seem to think I'm just being stupid, or not paying attention, despite pointing out to them that my hearing is rubbish.  I love Mrs W dearly, but she just doesn't seem to grasp that she needs to talk TO ME, not just wiffle on facing the other way at the other end of our massive dining room.  And please stop asking me something as I'm just leaving the room!  Its not helped by the fact that she can hear an ant fart at 200 metres distance...

I am glad to have been able to help even a little. Sadly, while it's helpful for the deaf person to know, what's more helpful is their friends, family and work colleagues (and maybe people in general).

There's a huge assumption that hearing aids are like glasses, just fix everything to normal or near as damnit normal which is very much not the case.

Also 30dB hearing loss which is barely hearing-aid territory compared to normal or better than normal hearing is a huge difference which is hard to convey. I have an audio file of Sue Lawley who I dropped the 2kHz and above by I think 12 or 30dB and it's muffled and awful. I use it as part of a wider deaf awareness training that I run to say this is what happens if I chop the top frequencies but I can't simulate anyone's deafness hearing aid or cochlea implant hearing because they may have distortion and a lot depends on the brain making sense of what inputs it has. But it gives people an idea of what suddenly becomes indistinct and unclear... Whether it changes their long term behaviour towards deaf/HOH people I cannot know tho.

ian

« Reply #16432 on: 24 July, 2023, 07:55:20 pm »
I live in apartment block. We have several 'paladin' large wheeled bins for domestic rubbish,
plus four similarly sized recycling bins with blue plastic tops.

What boils my piss:
I regularly see food waste like pizza boxes or ready meal containers, unwashed, in the recycling
Cardboard boxes are thrown in there and people don't bother flattening them
I often see entire bin liners, full,  in the recycling. I supect some people dont know the difference between the types of bin

In these parts of London rubbish is incinerated anyway, so I often throw Amazon cardboard and glossy paper in the rubbish to let it be burned.
I suspect cardboard and glossy paper are not in reality recycled.

I've never understood the people who don't break-down and flatten cardboard boxes, they just chuck them out by the bin. It's a few seconds of work (admittedly, one of my circa-age 15 supermarket job tasks was breaking down approximately one bazillion boxes every weekend).

Generally, though, I think asking people to clean and sort their own recycling is probably a false economy when there are big machines to do that far more effectively than lazy-assed humans.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16433 on: 25 July, 2023, 09:25:40 am »
If you live in West London, your rubbish goes on a very smelly train to Avonmouth, where it provides heat and power for the Avonmouthians.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #16434 on: 25 July, 2023, 10:26:53 am »
Ah, this post is seriously valuable to me, one of the HoH'ers that can't get folk to make any allowances for me, as they seem to think I'm just being stupid, or not paying attention, despite pointing out to them that my hearing is rubbish.  I love Mrs W dearly, but she just doesn't seem to grasp that she needs to talk TO ME, not just wiffle on facing the other way at the other end of our massive dining room.  And please stop asking me something as I'm just leaving the room!  Its not helped by the fact that she can hear an ant fart at 200 metres distance...

I am glad to have been able to help even a little. Sadly, while it's helpful for the deaf person to know, what's more helpful is their friends, family and work colleagues (and maybe people in general).

There's a huge assumption that hearing aids are like glasses, just fix everything to normal or near as damnit normal which is very much not the case.

Also 30dB hearing loss which is barely hearing-aid territory compared to normal or better than normal hearing is a huge difference which is hard to convey. I have an audio file of Sue Lawley who I dropped the 2kHz and above by I think 12 or 30dB and it's muffled and awful. I use it as part of a wider deaf awareness training that I run to say this is what happens if I chop the top frequencies but I can't simulate anyone's deafness hearing aid or cochlea implant hearing because they may have distortion and a lot depends on the brain making sense of what inputs it has. But it gives people an idea of what suddenly becomes indistinct and unclear... Whether it changes their long term behaviour towards deaf/HOH people I cannot know tho.

Thank you! We don't have "like" buttons here, but if it did, I'd hit that 1000 times... You are currently my hero!
Wombat

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #16435 on: 29 July, 2023, 09:56:47 am »
Ring on the doorbell at about 10 last night. We weren't surprised because we were expecting our daughter and family. There was no one there.
 A few minutes later there were 4 fairly loud cracks. Of course it's the local yoof having a laugh. Last time it was eggs, this time it appears to have been an air rifle/slingshot. So instead of cleaning egg off walls, windows and car we have a kitchen window to replace.
Police have been informed but I'm not expecting much response.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16436 on: 29 July, 2023, 10:03:19 am »
I think that deserves more than just a grumble.  >:( Hope you don't have too much trouble/expense replacing the window.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #16437 on: 29 July, 2023, 12:19:07 pm »
You're probably right but ranting is too much effort.

Replacement will be easy. Just needs the application of cash.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16438 on: 01 August, 2023, 08:10:31 am »
Insurance cover it?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16439 on: 01 August, 2023, 08:13:54 am »
The Graun have changed something in their CSS and the Chrome on my antiquated tablet can't handle it. Hide/show sections no longer works, some headline boxes aren't big enough for the content and cut it off, and some of them are superimposed on others. Bah.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16440 on: 01 August, 2023, 11:08:35 am »
Ring on the doorbell at about 10 last night. We weren't surprised because we were expecting our daughter and family. There was no one there.
 A few minutes later there were 4 fairly loud cracks. Of course it's the local yoof having a laugh. Last time it was eggs, this time it appears to have been an air rifle/slingshot. So instead of cleaning egg off walls, windows and car we have a kitchen window to replace.

Which reminds me, was there ever a resolution to phantasmagoriana's egg saga?

« Reply #16441 on: 01 August, 2023, 02:03:12 pm »

In a bid to get their Tory chums re-elected haven't police chiefs just a promised to investigate every crime*?

* With the exception of a very long list ... 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16442 on: 01 August, 2023, 06:24:44 pm »

In a bid to get their Tory chums re-elected haven't police chiefs just a promised to investigate every crime*?

* With the exception of a very long list ...

Such as ones that happen in the past?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16443 on: 02 August, 2023, 10:22:32 pm »
I took exception today, when some work was being done on my neighbour's guttering.

To do this work, the slave had to go on my neighbour's garage roof - which adjoins with my garage roof. This is flat roofing with felt and stones. They had spread their tools and some of the tiles (unnecessarily removed) on my garage roof.

I had a quiet word with the workman, who was blatantly on my side of the join... he said he understood in poor English.

A little later his bully of a boss (who I had taken an instant dislike to) was on the neighbour's roof... but "Alex" the slave, was on my side again.

I said I wasn't happy about the damage being done to my roof, and that I had already asked that they keep off my roof, I asked to make sure that all understood. I was assured that was the case.

I carried on working in my garage and heard heavy footsteps clearly on my side of the roof again about an hour later. I might have shouted a bit at that point.

Why the fu&^ do people working for my neighbours feel compelled to come onto my property?
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #16444 on: 02 August, 2023, 10:33:32 pm »
Location , location , location....    That's a nice flat,  I can afford it, but it's on the Wrong Side of the river  >:(     (Current issues with aging parents mean I don't want to increase the travel time between us.)

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/137528030
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #16445 on: 03 August, 2023, 08:19:18 am »
I had need of a new passport photo, so took the opportunity of my weekly Tesco shop to use their photo-booth.  Of course, everything is digital these days, so out came the pictures, along with the digital code to use on the application.  There was also the option of emailing the photos to oneself, which facility I availaed myself of.

Get home, look through emails, move obvious ones to junk, can't see the photos. Shrug as have the hard copy.

Next day my wife gets hers done, and when I get home I mention the email, and she says "Oh yes, I got mine" and she shows me a email.

From: Max Spielman. Subject: Photo ID.  Text: a line of question marks thus ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Which I had, of course, put in junk.   ::-)

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16446 on: 03 August, 2023, 12:58:38 pm »
Location , location , location....    That's a nice flat,  I can afford it, but it's on the Wrong Side of the river  >:(     (Current issues with aging parents mean I don't want to increase the travel time between us.)

It is, but that listing contains 100% more photos than it actually needed.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #16447 on: 03 August, 2023, 02:10:03 pm »

Nice. Makes prices in my area look mad. Anywhere for the bikes?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #16448 on: 03 August, 2023, 02:15:11 pm »
There is a bike in one of the pics, hidden behind a tasteful screen.   Or you could use the walk in wardrobe!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #16449 on: 03 August, 2023, 02:24:10 pm »
There is a bike in one of the pics, hidden behind a tasteful screen.   Or you could use the walk in wardrobe!
Oh yes! Picture 19.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?