Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626219 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16575 on: 11 September, 2023, 02:07:34 pm »
"Do not iron".
Which bit of a padded bra do you think I'm going to try and iron?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16576 on: 11 September, 2023, 02:38:35 pm »
Dear purveyors of clothing that goes around legs.  The type of clothes that do not extend all the way down the leg to the foot is a "PAIR of shorts". It is NOT a "short". A short is something I might drink.  And while we're on the subject, I don't want to "Shop" these "shorts". I might want to buy them, or shop for them.

Should you wish to purchase a long-legged undergarment to keep thighs and knees warm this winter, you might need to seek a thermal 'pant', not long johns.

HTH & HAND,

Me.

« Reply #16577 on: 11 September, 2023, 02:59:52 pm »
She came back with Aston Villa.
Did my first team talk with them today.
"Score more goals than they do."
Why has no one thought of that before?
I'm going to be a great manager.  👍
I'd be much happier if you could adjust that to: 'score fewer goals than the opposition on all occasions, when possible', please.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

ian

« Reply #16578 on: 11 September, 2023, 08:21:38 pm »
I know now from the news about dogs eating people that the monster I've had to squeeze past a few times is an American Bully XL. It's like the dog equivalent of a monster truck. I always encounter the beast on some narrow steps so have to squeeze by while it growls menacingly because she's apparently 'nervous around strangers.' There's zero chance that the woman walking it would be able to control it if it did decide to eat me (or anyone else). There are plenty of cute and friendly dog breeds, so I'm not sure the attraction of something that looks like it escaped from Doom.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16579 on: 11 September, 2023, 08:56:20 pm »
The C4News article on dangerous dogs tonight was possibly one of the most tabloidy pieces I have seen on that program for years, it was naff.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16580 on: 11 September, 2023, 09:05:34 pm »
Oh, are we getting the Kenneth Baker treatment again?

ian

« Reply #16581 on: 11 September, 2023, 09:12:04 pm »
Only saw some blurb online, which clued me into the breed. I know the adage it's not the dog, it's the owner, but I'd rather bad owners had a chihuahua than something that looks ready to chew through a truck.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16582 on: 11 September, 2023, 09:34:09 pm »
The BBC report was rather tabloidesk as well. I’m all for persona freedoms, but we don’t allow people to have wolves as pets, so,I suppose it just a matter of where you draw the line. These things do seem to fall on the wrong side of any line you might want to draw though. Also, I’m surprised that people can afford to feed anything as big as that given the current state of many people’s finances.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16583 on: 11 September, 2023, 09:41:23 pm »
Children and other dogs are freely available.

ian

« Reply #16584 on: 11 September, 2023, 10:06:47 pm »
In this case, it's not so much the dog breed per se (though it's obviously intended as a status dog), it's the fact there's really no way even a beefy bloke could control it, so the odds of the slim, five-foot woman usually walking it aren't good. That and the fact that it's 'nervous around strangers' don't add confidence. I suppose you could say that about any big dog. Anyway, I don't enjoy having to squeeze by it while she struggles to hold it to one side while I pass.

« Reply #16585 on: 12 September, 2023, 08:34:03 am »
I'm generally pro dog, and firmly of the "It isn't the breed, it is the owner" opinion.

However, there is no place, purpose or justification for owning a dog that you can't physically control. Two of the deaths so far this year have been professional dog walkers, killed by their own dogs.

Ban the breed, ffs, for the same reason we ban 'zombie knives'. They only appeal to weirdos who fantasize about hurting people.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #16586 on: 12 September, 2023, 08:50:10 am »
Like mrcharly, I'm also pro-dog, and generally don't believe in certain breeds being specifically dangerous dogs. However, XL Bully dogs are horrifically inbred from a very small genetic line in the US (not uncommon for a dog to have only 3-5 great grandparents instead of 8 ). Responsible husbandry of any animal involves breeding in desirable trails, but avoiding undesirable traits. Animals that display human aggression shouldn't be bred. Unfortunately, XL bullies continue to be bred from lines that have human aggression and have killed people because it happens to align with being shaped like a tank. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16587 on: 12 September, 2023, 09:52:21 am »
Like mrcharly, I'm also pro-dog, and generally don't believe in certain breeds being specifically dangerous dogs. However, XL Bully dogs are horrifically inbred from a very small genetic line in the US (not uncommon for a dog to have only 3-5 great grandparents instead of 8 ). Responsible husbandry of any animal involves breeding in desirable trails, but avoiding undesirable traits. Animals that display human aggression shouldn't be bred. Unfortunately, XL bullies continue to be bred from lines that have human aggression and have killed people because it happens to align with being shaped like a tank.
Does "human aggression" mean aggression against humans or human-style aggression?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #16588 on: 12 September, 2023, 10:38:34 am »

It's clear that some breeds are being selectively bred to be aggressive.

I love dogs and dogs tend to love me (other than Binky, who dislikes everyone) but even I would be wary around certain breeds, such as the XL Bully.  These aren't being bred as pets but as status symbols for men with small dicks.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #16589 on: 12 September, 2023, 11:23:18 am »
Does "human aggression" mean aggression against humans or human-style aggression?

Sorry, unprovoked aggression against humans. Most dog bites don't happen "out of nowhere" - there's often quite a lot of dog behaviour warning signs that the people involved have ignored or not understood. Unfortunately, quite a lot of dog bites (particularly involving children) that have an underlying human cause (e.g. kids trying to ride the family dog and it biting them because it is in pain). "Human aggression" or "human-directed aggression" is used to describe aggressive behaviour against people that does not appear to have arisen from another stimulus.

« Reply #16590 on: 12 September, 2023, 02:57:19 pm »

Sorry, unprovoked aggression against humans. Most dog bites don't happen "out of nowhere" - there's often quite a lot of dog behaviour warning signs that the people involved have ignored or not understood. Unfortunately, quite a lot of dog bites (particularly involving children) that have an underlying human cause (e.g. kids trying to ride the family dog and it biting them because it is in pain). "Human aggression" or "human-directed aggression" is used to describe aggressive behaviour against people that does not appear to have arisen from another stimulus.

While I agree with all of the above, I'd add that most dogs will deliver a warning nip first, usually not breaking skin.
Early this year my daughter visited with her son (2.5yrs old). He is used to dogs.
We have a middle-aged Border terrier (which were bred for hunting). Despite warnings, my grandson kept pulling the dog's tail and poking him. One time, they were out of sight (through a doorway) and there was a growl and a wail. Dog had delivered a warning nip and scarpered (no skin broken, very slight bruise).
We kept them apart.

Same grandson visited this year. He's learnt his lesson around dogs, and was more polite. Dog was very wary, but they accepted each other (I have some lovely photos of them sitting together on the rug).

Some dogs, and more common in some breeds, go from nothing to full-on attack.

They aren't suitable for any use or habitation and in my mind are 'dangerous dogs'. Keep them muzzled at all times or have them put down.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16591 on: 12 September, 2023, 03:24:47 pm »
Independently of the above, it's worth mentioning that dogs also have a socializing behaviour which consists of grooming another dog's fur with its small frontal teeth.  A dog may identify a small dog-sized human as a fellow dog and attempt to socialize in this manner, not realizing that skin isn't fur. The ensuing wail may earn the poor pooch an undeserved clout; in fact, MrsT is aware of one case in the USA that went to court and ended with the poor beast being put down.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #16592 on: 12 September, 2023, 09:03:06 pm »

Quite honestly, any of these heavily inbred dogs should be banned just on animal cruelty grounds. A French Bulldog, for instance, has a life expectancy at birth of 4.5 years (other bulldogs and pugs aren't much improved).

We encounter a lot of dogs out in the country, which on the most part are friendly (sometimes overly so) and well-behaved. The other categories are those that 'don't like strangers' (maybe put it on a lead then) or those 'that don't normally do that' (I somehow doubt it).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16593 on: 13 September, 2023, 12:12:21 am »
There is actually a printed list of dangerous doggos outside the Civic Center here in Battle Mountain, but it's not much use since someone has posted another notice over half of it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16594 on: 13 September, 2023, 07:59:12 am »
We encounter a lot of dogs out in the country, which on the most part are friendly (sometimes overly so) and well-behaved. The other categories are those that 'don't like strangers' (maybe put it on a lead then) or those 'that don't normally do that' (I somehow doubt it).

I once got bitten by one of those, through a thick neoprene overshoe at that.  "But he's not like that" the woman wailed, implying thereby that it was somehow my fault. It was nothing dire so I let it go.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16595 on: 13 September, 2023, 10:14:32 am »
My sis in law has a black lab bitch that has shown unprovoked aggression to some other dogs on two occasions now. She’s no idea why Mabel dislikes certain dogs so vehemently while is friendly to all other dogs. As a consequence she no longer allows Mabel off the lead when in public; it makes her life more difficult because the dog no longer gets as much exercise with not being able to run around, but S-in-L sees it as the responsible way to behave with a dog that has shown aggression.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #16596 on: 13 September, 2023, 04:55:30 pm »
Dear purveyors of clothing that goes around legs.  The type of clothes that do not extend all the way down the leg to the foot is a "PAIR of shorts". It is NOT a "short". A short is something I might drink.  And while we're on the subject, I don't want to "Shop" these "shorts". I might want to buy them, or shop for them.

Should you wish to purchase a long-legged undergarment to keep thighs and knees warm this winter, you might need to seek a thermal 'pant', not long johns.

HTH & HAND,

Me.

Last winter I wanted longjohns for something. Well obviously keeping legs warm but can't remember specifically

Hunted and hunted but couldn't find

Remembered I'd sent them to Ukraine

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16597 on: 15 September, 2023, 12:12:28 pm »
Another person has died after being attacked by two dogs, and so the knee is being jerked. The American Bully XL will be banned from Christmas. Let’s hope the legislation is carefully planned and worded, with proper provision for identification of the banned breeds. But I for one will not be holding my breath on that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16598 on: 15 September, 2023, 02:49:42 pm »
We had a brief power cut this morning at almost exactly 11.30. It only lasted a couple of minutes but it seems to have buggered up the timing on the weather station sending data to the Raspberry pi.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16599 on: 15 September, 2023, 03:34:01 pm »
Another person has died after being attacked by two dogs, and so the knee is being jerked. The American Bully XL will be banned from Christmas. Let’s hope the legislation is carefully planned and worded, with proper provision for identification of the banned breeds. But I for one will not be holding my breath on that.

If they are "banned" what happens to those that are already here?  - and what happened to existing animals when the other 4 or 5 breeds were banned?  - extermination?

- as a dog-hater (with the exception of guide/assistance dogs), having been attacked as a child, I hope so.