Author Topic: Crappiest War Film  (Read 5730 times)

Re: Crappiest War Film
« Reply #25 on: 19 November, 2010, 03:31:42 pm »
Wasn't that a documentary though?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #26 on: 19 November, 2010, 03:47:54 pm »
;D
Getting there...

« Reply #27 on: 19 November, 2010, 04:41:20 pm »
Hamburger Hill and The Thin Red Line are both rubbish. there are some good bits in both films, but equally they're both ruined by letting the directors doodle around randomly.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #28 on: 19 November, 2010, 05:09:14 pm »
The Wild Geese

Unadulterated shite! AND they had the barefaced cheek to make abloody sequel  :sick:  :sick:  :sick:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #29 on: 19 November, 2010, 05:30:26 pm »
Three Kings
U-571
Midway (mainly because the action sequences are niicked from other films)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #30 on: 19 November, 2010, 05:43:53 pm »

633 Squadron is tolerable with a decent Ron Goodwin soundtrack, but Mosquito Squadron was obviously made at the same time, has a paper thin plot and steals yards of action footage from 633 Sq.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #31 on: 19 November, 2010, 06:02:25 pm »
ISTR there was one in which Errol Flynn liberated Burma... ::-)
Heading my list of bad films in which Americans win WW2 all on their own. See above.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #32 on: 19 November, 2010, 06:14:57 pm »

rogerzilla

« Reply #33 on: 19 November, 2010, 07:06:10 pm »

633 Squadron is tolerable with a decent Ron Goodwin soundtrack, but Mosquito Squadron was obviously made at the same time, has a paper thin plot and steals yards of action footage from 633 Sq.
I love the cliche in 633 Squadron.  Ginger dude wants to come out of his retirement flying a desk for one last mission, begs to be allowed to join the rest of them...and dies.

« Reply #34 on: 19 November, 2010, 07:32:52 pm »
And Johnny Briggs cops it as well.

The Greek cast as a Norwegian in 633 was probably the crappiest bit of casting I can think of right now...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #35 on: 19 November, 2010, 08:55:03 pm »

I love the cliche in 633 Squadron.  Ginger dude wants to come out of his retirement flying a desk for one last mission, begs to be allowed to join the rest of them...and dies.

Guy Gibson VC
VELOMANCER

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #36 on: 19 November, 2010, 09:09:28 pm »
I found Passchendaele as dull as ditchwater, more a soppy love story that didn't know where it was going  than war film.

I wasn't keen on 'Attack on Leningrad' either.

« Reply #37 on: 19 November, 2010, 09:20:33 pm »
Tenko. Mainly from the constant references on Ed Reardon's week

rogerzilla

« Reply #38 on: 19 November, 2010, 09:27:40 pm »
Oh, can I have Atonement?  Simon Legg gave it a pasting of a review which I can't hope to replicate, but the massacred schoolgirls dying in neat rows were a particular highlight.

« Reply #39 on: 19 November, 2010, 10:00:19 pm »
Love Actually.

As war movies go, it fails on every level.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #40 on: 19 November, 2010, 10:25:30 pm »
Red Dawn
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #41 on: 20 November, 2010, 03:52:00 am »
Windtalkers. Jaw-droppingly dreadful.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #42 on: 20 November, 2010, 10:58:27 am »
Windtalkers. Jaw-droppingly dreadful.

Just like that other war film starring Nicholas Cage, Captain Corelli's Mandolin
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #43 on: 20 November, 2010, 03:05:38 pm »
ICBA to look, but I'm sure we'll have had Pearl Harbour by now, if not, here it is...

« Reply #44 on: 20 November, 2010, 05:25:42 pm »
ICBA to look, but I'm sure we'll have had Pearl Harbour by now, if not, here it is...

I think somebody mentioned it upthread, but as it was such a steaming pile of ordure it bears repeating.  ;)

It's a film that can't decide if it's subject matter is momentous events in the Pacific theatre, or a tangled love triangle, and the script-monkeys should have been put in the stocks and pelted with rotten tomatoes.

And that's before we get to a comprehensive list of continuity and anachronism goofs...

And whilst we're on the subject of Japan's pre-emptive strike, what about The Final Countdown?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #45 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:10:12 pm »
La Vita e Bella, or Life is Beautiful.

Made me bloody angry the first time I saw it. Saw it again more recently and less angry (maybe as I was prepared) but still a waste of celluloid.

Willing to believe that director and star Benigni meant well, but worry for him.

The normal answer to charges that no death camp ever looked like that is that the film is seen from the point of view of a child.

No, it $$$ well isn't.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #46 on: 06 December, 2010, 05:22:05 pm »
This may be an unpopular choice:

I never 'got' Bridge on the River Kwai.

I also read Russell Braddon's book The Naked Island.

On the basis of the latter, the former is as far fetched as shit from China . . .
VELOMANCER

« Reply #47 on: 06 December, 2010, 05:29:56 pm »
I was hugely disappointed in The Pacific, the follow up to Band of Brothers.